Swim for tri

Swim course, £145

1 to 20 of 27 messages
Garr    pirate
29/04/2005 at 16:27
Thought I'd post this in case anyone's interested. I need proper professional coaching to get my technique as efficient as possible because the coach I've currently got know squat. If you go to www.swimfortri.com, select East London Teaching Sessions, and then Intermediate, there's an 8 session course for £145 with (what sounds like) some pretty professional swimmers. They do underwater filming and so forth.

It's the alternative for people who need to sort out their stroke but can't afford Robin Brew prices.
30/04/2005 at 09:00
Hm, I believe that someone called Dr Nic wrote about them in her recent article in 220....

;-p
01/05/2005 at 17:36
are they supposed to be any good? (please please please don't direct me at 220 magazine, i don't have an anorak)
01/05/2005 at 23:23
Candy its not all that bad - i was thinking of subscribing
01/05/2005 at 23:26
that's what the trainspotter said to me about the little book that he had all the train numbers listed in.
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
02/05/2005 at 00:51
Was going to post this up on a seperate thread but will see what the response is here?

Richard Stannard "Eight-time winner of the swim leg of the London Triathlon" is offering open water swim coaching in the south of England (location and dates to be arranged)

http://www.richardstannard.com/swimming.html

I have said im definately interested and that I may know other people that may wish to form a small group, im aiming for a session late June depending on Richards race commitments.

Is anyone interested?
02/05/2005 at 00:54
For one off swim coaching this is good value

http://www.swim-masterclass.co.uk/masterclass/

Ive attended one and it helped me a lot.
AndrewSmith    pirate
02/05/2005 at 01:23
water is water wherever you go and swimming is swimming. you can get enought coaching at your local pool to get you round an ironman swim, that leaves more time to spend on the bike and run. the swim is only the warm up for chrisake. if you want proof then read carls post above '8 time winner of the swim leg' and how many times has he won the whole thing? maybe 'he' should worry more about his bike and run.
people seem to think there is some secret to swimming, there is, its called get down the pool more often and practice, even if you are crap you will get better, you only have to look at collier for proof.
02/05/2005 at 09:26
i'd rather not
02/05/2005 at 09:37
Thanks for the link Carl, looks good, pity the first one's not until July!
02/05/2005 at 10:37
Ah goof point Tara, I hadnt noticed that.

Also worth mentioning that Stuart Steele's Masterclass is usually in Midlands i.e. Walsall? Bit far for you southern nancies maybe.
02/05/2005 at 11:09
I'm getting lessons with the coach at my club. To be fair I could probably complete the IM distance tommorrow but I quite like the fact that I'm learning to swim properly, or at least more efficiently. When watching the club swimmers in the morning they look effortlessly powerful. I'd like to get at least 1/2 as good.

I disagree that putting loads of hours in the pool will make you a better swimmer without coaching. It'll just make you a stronger crap swimmer.

p.s watched Finding Nemo again yesterday Nic...Was imagining you swimming the channel singing "Keep on swimming" X100000)
AndrewSmith    pirate
02/05/2005 at 13:35
who said without coaching? you can get to a competent level with just local pool lessons and a bit of common sense. Unless you are really useless, then you should maybe just do duathlons.
You cannot compare club swimming to triathlon, for a start many club swimmers do more swim training than triathletes do for all three disciplines, most of that is just up and down and drills, all stuff you can do on your own. That in itself makes a hell of a difference to how well they go.
But as I say, why bother it's only the warm up. There are a lot of 'swimmers' in tri but very few do any good after they get out of the water.
Still you pay your money and make your choice. I prefer to do my own thing so I can get out in a leisurely hour to hour five and spend the money on something worthwhile like better wheels for my bike.
And at the end of the day being a stronger crap swimmer is not a bad thing if its quicker than the smoother slower swimmer.
It's a race of three halfs and it don't start till the bike.
02/05/2005 at 14:00
I'm getting club coaching and putting in about 6-8km 3-5 sessions a week at the moment - I'm really improving - not going to do much more than that - I think i'll do 1h15 - 1h30 at IMCH and i'm happy with that.

cycling is where i need the time

02/05/2005 at 14:00
Even tho' he called me a snob on another thread (!) I have to agree with AS - if you're still riding 1hr 20 for 40k you need to spend time on the bike not in the pool. You can knock 15-20 minutes off that bike time in a year or two with some good and appropriate training, but you'd have to go back in time and change your parents to take 20 minutes off your 1500m swim time.
02/05/2005 at 14:03
Lizzy - i'd need extensive liposuction to take 15-20 mins off my 40k time let alone different parents - but i agree in principle.
Garr    pirate
02/05/2005 at 18:21
Hmmm, we have divided opinions once again. I'm with TC on this. I reckon I could do the IMCH swim tomorrow, but having been swimming with people who are (or were) competitive swimmers, I can see there is an efficiency and grace they have that I don't. I'd prefer to learn something properly, and even if it makes me slower this time round, I'll have the peace of mind that I'm doing it right. Besides, if you can learn to improve your time by 10 minutes from a subtle change in technique I think it'll be worth it.
02/05/2005 at 18:28
Yes but my club coaches are pretty good - made some improvement already by going back to them - what i'mn cynical about is the £145+ isn't going to make me a better swimmer - it's going to get me advice that will make me a better swimmer - which i'm already getting for free... (every wednesday)
02/05/2005 at 18:30
mind you if your coaches are rubbish... erm get better coaches
02/05/2005 at 18:43
Boils down to the old egg of the swim being only 10-15% of the Ironman and little more than a warm up.

Far from happy to be agreeing with Mssrs Smith & Smith but as one has often said for IM the difference between a good and bad swimmer is 30 minutes, the difference between a good and bad cyclist is well over two hours.

I'll be happy to get round in 1hr 30 which is about my current standard, im maintaining my swim ability with 2-3 swims a week. Ive already noticed great payback from the extra cycling im doing, probably saved 20+ mins from my IM bike time in the last month.

Re club swimmers, I agree its great to watch them and I to would love to be so graceful and cut through the water effortlessley but im training for an IM not a just a swim. Remember a lot of these club swimmers you see have been doing it for years and probably do 40000-60000 meters a week.
1 to 20 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.