Swim Group

I took the plunge

1 to 20 of 22 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
28/10/2003 at 20:24
Finally got up the nerve to join a tri swim group, the trainer put me with the slowest group to start with (all men), and to my surprise I found I wasn't being left behind. It's actually a swim club with a tri section, so the sessions are full out.
The trainer said my rhythm is o.k., just need to practise reaching further forward on my arm strokes, and on the exit, work on pushing straight back - apparently my hands are straying too far in towards my spine. I was totally unaware of it!
This could be the turnaround for me.
Thanks Will for stressing the importance of working with a coach!
28/10/2003 at 21:19
yes its good stuff IW
i dont have to go in the slow newbie lane any more!!! and i can actualyl go faster than some people!
WildWill    pirate
28/10/2003 at 21:23
Good stuff IW

Got my TI this weekend - so hope to be on the way myself soon
29/10/2003 at 09:23
Good stuff IW! I was moved up a lane at my new(ish) swim club the other day so know how you feel!
29/10/2003 at 10:09
IW, our club organised a day's swim technique coaching with video appraisal a couple of weeks ago. There were 9 of us, 8 of us had done at least one IM this year. We ranged in ability from sub 60 mins to about sub 75 mins for an IM swim. On studying our technique from above and below the water they said that every single one of us was short at the end of the stroke (the push phase). Most of us were also not reaching far enough at the front of the stroke either.

I pretty much knew that to be the case from what my coach has always said but it was interesting to see it on video.

Good luck with TI Will, let us know how it goes.
29/10/2003 at 10:16
I'd love to have myself videoed swimming.

Is this wrong? Should I be ashamed?

;-)
WildWill    pirate
29/10/2003 at 10:37
Nic

As long as you share the vid ;o)
29/10/2003 at 10:39
Sounds like yer gonna break into profit Nic!!!

(and yes, put me down for a copy too!!!)

[Twinkle...]
29/10/2003 at 10:59
(Dr Nic twangs her swimming cap in a most suggestive and attractive way)

Excellent, I'll get the production line rolling, could do with some extra cash.
29/10/2003 at 11:08
LOL...

(nice twang btw...)
29/10/2003 at 11:39
Nic, we did it through Swim For Tri. It was a day's coaching with plenty of personal guidance. Maximum of ten people per day with four to five instructors and a free massage at lunchtime.

I think they are pretty much booked till Christmas and it was quite pricey (80 quid - discounted from 100 coz we filled the whole group) but def worth it. A few days after the course you get a DVD through the post with you filmed from above and below water at the beginning and end of the day, plus demonstrations of drills and good swim technique.

http://www.swimfortri.com/
29/10/2003 at 11:41
Why thanks RM!
29/10/2003 at 11:47
sounds cool...

we did video stuff last year but i was too busy just trying to swim! hopefully this year too.. but just from above.

if anyone's doing this and has a spare slot.. let me know.
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
29/10/2003 at 18:23
I went to a one-on-one session in September, cost me 90 Euro, but it was worth every cent. Was great to have the trainer all to myself and I really learned a lot from it. People can tell you over and over that you're doing something wrong but it's when you see yourself doing it that it really sinks in.
29/10/2003 at 18:29
Well done on joining a swim club IW!

I'm going along to a new group this evening (a bit late though at 8.30)after I decided the first one I went too was not very friendly. I hope this one is better!
30/10/2003 at 10:34
I went to my new masters club and it was really good. There were 5 lanes and I was put in lane 3, which was just about ok for me. I was the slowest in the lane, but it stretched me, so must have done good and I didn't hold anyone up.

Found the session really hard as I'm not used to that kind of swimming. I can't do butterfly and my back stroke is crap and as for diving.....

Anyway, I think I'll go back again even though it's a bit late for me to want to train. I also think I need to swim more than once a week not to struggle with the session, but it's the time!

Oh, also an interesting comment on my swim style was that my stroke was fine, but I bring my head out of the water too much when taking a breath-but I need to breathe!
30/10/2003 at 10:50
Hilly,

Sounds like you are like me... Anybody know where we can get a set of gils from 2nd hand... ebay maybe...

folks who swim seem to be able to extract oxygen from the water as easily as air... I can't understand it meself!!
30/10/2003 at 11:05
Hilly, you only need to turn your head enough so that your mouth - or really 1/2 your mouth! - is out of the water. I suppose it is a "skill" of sorts to be able to maybe get water in your mouth but not breath it down..but yes if you see most swimmers you'll notice that they still have part of their mouth under the water when they breath. Also maybe you are leaving your head out of the water too long and not turning in back in quickly? It will all come with practice I am sure and your masters session sounds like the best place to practice!
30/10/2003 at 11:29
Those gils sound good MUT!

Dr Nic-I'll certainly need to practice as it's so difficult not to swallow the water, which I did several times last night!

Oh! to flow through the water with beautiful grace!!!!!!!!

Mind I've only been swimming just over a year properly so I live in hope :o)
01/11/2003 at 12:40
Does anyone know of any friendly swim club things for triathalons in the North East?
Cheers
V
1 to 20 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.