Swim training

Swim club bloke bullying me

1 to 20 of 74 messages
12/08/2009 at 12:34

Hi,

I am being pathetic, but I had to leave swiming training last night as I was going to get up and lamp this bloke. We have three lanes. Swim drills for an hour and swim according to speed/pace. Fast, Medium, Slow. Pretty standard.

I am new to the club and tri, and doing my best to smile and fit in and make friends (which to be honest is almost more important to me than anything else bar a sub 2.30 olympic tri next year). Prob is it is a bit of a wanky place, and the people are nice, but a bit competitive and clearly work in the city etc. I swim in the med lane, and prob about third quickest out of the eight or so in the lane. I have good endurance but rubbish sprint. I always place myself behind people who have a better sprint when we get to those drills.

Anyway. As they are a bit blokey, two of the guys always push in front of me on the initial line up, and they are much slower, to the point I have a lovely time and can quite often have to stand up behind them to stop from crunching in. this is frustrating enough as they will not move. I have tapped their feet and smiled and they always move but just jump ahead on the next set of drills. Whatever. I can deal with that and not going to make enemies at the moment by being insistent. I can just concentate on stroke etc. It is the other guy I HATE. For the past two weeks (twice a week) he swims through the pack and pushes up behind me and slaps my feet, or literally swims over me. totally badgers me. There is absolutely no where I can go bar the rectum of the guy in front and i stand up and point this out to him but he keeps doing it. He isn't that fast, just takes a massive kick off his tumble and is very tall, but he is so agressive and smug.

My problem is that I just get so annoyed with him I just want to get out, or smack him as it really upsets me that he is ruining my workout.

So - my problem is  two fold. How do I get him off my back (I have told him to go in the fast lane, but he knows he will be mincemeat - I have also let him past and for some reason he doesn't badger the other two but always realigns himself to badger me again) and how do I (acknowledging I dont want to be like arse face) get past the other two. It is a bit of an ego thing and I have to tread carefully.

The swim teacher will not intervene. I have given him pleading looks and he just laughs or gets them out the way only for them to jump ahead again during the next drills or has a go at me for leaving early when I want to murder arse face.

Help. I have no diplomatic skills and a short temper at the moment due to need to improve, but need to stay at this class. It is the only one near me!

Thanks.

Gyraffe    pirate
12/08/2009 at 12:36
Bl**dy h*ll. I have no idea what you should do that that sounds awful.
12/08/2009 at 12:38
change clubs
12/08/2009 at 12:41

I can't, due to timings and locations I genuinely can't get to the tri club ones we have in the week, so only go to my club one on a a Sunday (which is fantastic. They are amazing).

I really don't know what to do. I need the time in the pool to work on the sprints etc and endurance, as out of club time, the pool is mobbed. I don't want to drop to one session a week.

I am glad I am not just being a wuss though. I was worried you were all going to say to suck it up and get my head down.

O.rangeCannon (kona-7)    pirate
12/08/2009 at 12:44
hey - where is this in london, (just to make sure I don't join it...)
12/08/2009 at 12:53
I would find myself accidentally kicking his head a few times, or perhaps a softer region.
12/08/2009 at 12:57

Better not say Cannon but it is a swim night  for "proper" swimmers at a local baths in the central North and is not a very big class size.  Maybe also why I am a bit reluctant to say something as they are all from swimming backgrounds.

It isn't a tri club, there is no way they would be like that. None of them use their legs for a start so wouldn't have the kick problem ha ha ha. Ma funny.

12/08/2009 at 12:57
just kick him.  he started it.  if he gets arsey, suggest a fight in the car park.
12/08/2009 at 12:59

pull his trunks down when he gets out of the pool.

Treat it like a contact sport ie Water Polo and when he taps your feet and youfeel him taking your legs just raise your heel forcefully into his face or ribs or better still his groin, he'll soon get the message not to bother you again.
This will be good practice for your OW swim and mass start CM but if you really feel it's getting out of hand and really dont want to leave the club, take him to one side and offer him an option to either stop it or you'll punch his lights out.

CM

Sorry to be daft but not sure are you a lad or a lass....?

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
12/08/2009 at 13:01
Tell me which club it is, ive got a bit of free time and will come and sort it out.
12/08/2009 at 13:01
or every time he slaps you, stop and stand up.  milk the hilarity of the situation.  it's a bit like when I was 18, our (probably mentally ill, he's in some kind of asylum now) complained to neighbourhood watch and called the police because my car was very dirty.  so i never washed it again, and escalated things by always taking some kitchen roll in my pocket when I went to the pub, so when I came back hammered I could leave a dog turd on his windscreen.
12/08/2009 at 13:06
Err, the missing phrase is "next door but one neighbour"
Hope    pirate
12/08/2009 at 13:07
Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)
Tell me which club it is, ive got a bit of free time and will come and sort it out.

Lol!! I was going to suggest we send Barley around!
12/08/2009 at 13:08

Give him a good kick in the face

One of the pools I go to has 3 lanes (fast, medium, slow) and I'm easily the fastest in the fast lane (I'm not exactly quick, but quicker than everyone else). No one will ever let me go at the end of the lane and some make deliberate attempts to block me from passing. I started going in the slow lane (no one goes in it because they don't want to be labelled as being slow) and it solved all my problems because I have the whole lane to myself

12/08/2009 at 13:09

I am a lass lunacy, so I am looking more for evil snide things to do rather than lamp him. Although lamping is currently a good option but would have to be quick early in the class or I would be all elastic arms and it would be pathetic.

I am going to swim on Friday and just take it for 10 mins, then have a word at the switch. No change and I shall start to kick out etc. Hadn't thought about the OW mass start training. Maybe that is what he is doing?

Maybe I drive him mad by not being agressive enough to get past the other two. Dunno.

Candy  - liking your style. Borderline harrassment and suitably snide.

cougie    pirate
12/08/2009 at 13:10
yeah right...

oops = cross posted to candy.

I think lamping him or telling him to F*** **** would be suitable.
Edited: 12/08/2009 at 13:11
ImRio    pirate
12/08/2009 at 13:16
I would ask him why he was being such an a**e and if that didn't work a swift kick in the face, ribs or whatever soft bit I could find as often as possible might do the trick
12/08/2009 at 13:21
Probably more than borderline, but he started it! However I've grown up now, and don't leave dog turds on people's cars any more. And unfortunately, most dog owners clean up after them now anyway. Spoilsports. The DIY solution of squatting down on the roof of somebody's car with my pants round my ankles would probably be asking for police interference.
1 to 20 of 74 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.