Swim/bike weight training

21 to 26 of 26 messages
25/08/2012 at 10:06

Yes think about the motion of the exercises you are doing and muscle groups you are focusing on.  I wouldnt' bother with bench or shoulder press because its not an action of use in triathlon.  Dead lifts, bent over row, weighted squats (smith machine) and lunges, lat pull down (try swimming off this, awesome!), lat raise.

Do your core and balance (10-15mins eg : http://www.target-fitness.co.uk/core.htm) before the weights session and after a light aerobic warm-up.  

Best set v reps will be 1-2 x 12-15 leading to 80-90% exhaustion.  Any/more harder and you'll be sore for a few days afterwards if you're working on a weaker muscle group or have imbalances.  Alternate sets between upper and lower body equipment/weights so you get respite/recovery (eg lat pull down, abductor/adductor, bent over row, leg extension, lat raise/or dips, hamstring curl).  Always end with bicep, tricep or ankle work.  Idea is to work from the centre of the bosy out ie core and balance, larger muscle group weights, outer muscle group weights.  

When you're done, then move on to the general aerobic work (treadmill, xtrainer, xbike, row, etc).  If you do the other way around when tired then you risk injuring yourself.

If sore, stiff, fatigued from previous resistance/gym session but have one planned then do 1 x 20-25 reps light....a form session, perfecting techniqie.

25/08/2012 at 10:42

If you are doing this to help swimimg then it is important to know about swim technque.

Which suggests the way to better swimming is through spending time on getting swim technique right first, not by trying to increase power through weights.

Rebecca Adlington did one of the Q&A threads:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/triathlon/speedo-qanda-3-quiz-rebecca-adlington/176436-2.html

She does do gym work but not weights. She doesnt say what the gym work was but mentions core and cardio.

Edited: 25/08/2012 at 10:43
25/08/2012 at 16:17

Of course, but remember we're talking about supplementary training on top of your bike, swim and running.  And you don't have to use weights to have a good resistance programme eg press-ups, tri-dips, squats (full and one leg), lunges, squat thrusts and jumps, calf raises, etc.  You can get a good 20-30mins of core, balance and resistance work done without the use of any equipment other than a mat and a wall !

Some pro's do more core/weights than others.  The brit pros ive known in ironman were all on at least 2hrs core and weights in a week.....or so they said lol

26/08/2012 at 16:25

Thanks for the advice Daz. I am going to try and get 2-3 sessions in per week (soon as I can get a decent plan sorted out) I can only see positives from having a bit more upper body strength.

26/08/2012 at 22:15

Jas, I can send you the programme (gym card) I send to my clients if you like that includes lots of juicy core and balance lol.  whats your email?

27/08/2012 at 18:21

Thanks Daz, That would be great I have just sent you a msg with my email.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.