Swimming breast stroke in a tri

Does it really matter?

41 to 57 of 57 messages
28/08/2014 at 16:53
I havent posted on this thread for a while but thought i needed to comment;

0n another thread i have bn advised front crawl better if wearing a wetsuit which i havent got & better to do it in anyfhing linger than sprint yet on this thread ithers have done li ger breaststroke so i want to continue breaststroke but feel i will be doomed to sprint forever.
28/08/2014 at 17:21

you can do breaststroke whenever you like at whatever distance but you will find that over longer distances crawl is more efficient and less energy demanding - perhaps a reason why you don't see swimming competitions with breaststroke events longer than 200m whereas crawl goes up to 1500m in a pool and much longer in open water.

and as said, wetsuits are not best with breast stroke as the leg kick has to fight the resistance of the neoprene which is thicker on the legs to aid buoyancy.

28/08/2014 at 18:02

Thanks its reassuring to know that and while I understand what you are saying about swimming breaststroke in a wetsuit,assume it is difficult not impossible as others have posted on this thread that they have swum breaststroke at longer distances - presumably they were wearing wetsuits.

I feel a little guilty as I said I was going to give crawl another go but feel I am selling out considering my previous posts on this thread. As it is I will be doing breaststroke at Lichfield Sprint even though at the current time I have gone right off the idea and would prefer to withdraw but wont as wont get money back this close to the event so will just aim to get round.

28/08/2014 at 18:13
You'll be fine breaststroking at Lichfield tri, it's a pool swim and everyone will be setting off at 5 min intervals, don't pull out, you will absolutely enjoy it once you get going. I'll be hoping to see you there!
28/08/2014 at 18:31

Thanks justpolodon, no I wont - just feeling a bit hemmed in at the moment,that if I choose to continue doing this stroke, its like throwing their advice back in their face. I appreciate their advice but feel at the end of the day I have to do whats right for me and I may find out for myself what they are saying or may prove the exception to the rule re swimming breaststroke at longer distance in a wetsuit.

Hope to see you there - I will be wearing a white t-shirt with Nuneaton Triathlon Club written on the back and the club logo and Nuneaton Triathlon Club in smaller letters on the front on the bike & on the run. I may have a yellow Giant bike - havent decided which bike I am using yet (only have two - may use the one i did my first tri on)

I think swim times are available from weds 3rd september as entries close on Sunday 31st August.

28/08/2014 at 18:38

I'm getting a bit frustrated now. Across various threads you go round the houses for the same topic. 

You can swim breast stroke if you want to. 

Some others have said they have swum breast stroke. 

However, these are likely to be the exception, not the rule. For proof, go on YouTube and look for clips of triathlon swims. Look at Outlaw, any Ironman event. Look for ITU championships. People are swimming front crawl. 

Most people swim triathlons front crawl. That's the fact of the matter. 

Please stop fannying around looking for positive reinforcement and instead go back to improving your front crawl at Tri club swims. Yes, you might be scared but just bloody well get on with it. 

At Lichfield, swim breast stroke if you want because you are still learning crawl but when you are training now you should do crawl. By next summer, you will be much improved. 

JFDI

28/08/2014 at 18:56

Ok M.o,use point taken - this will be the last you hear of me on this subject or any other.  I am sorry if I have offended or annoyed you or any others with constant repetition on this subject over different threads so will not say anymore. If i post in future it will be to state results of what I have undertaken and no more, if I do any more that is.

I am signing offf now as going out soon with people from work for a curry for someone's leaving do.

28/08/2014 at 19:08
Quitter

When the going gets tough.......... Have a curry
28/08/2014 at 19:09

You haven't offended me and you can post what you like. I just want you to flipping swim!

M...eldy    pirate
28/08/2014 at 19:49
What she said .... work on your weaknesses, don't be afraid of them
You have plenty of time to improve
28/08/2014 at 21:41
At the end of the day do whatever you want if it makes it easier for you, but don't question other people's opinions when you ask the question, these guys do know what they're talking about.
28/08/2014 at 21:42
Will do. Just back from curry ; not a late nite as working tomorrow. Thank goodness its friday tomorrow!
28/08/2014 at 21:47
Thanks justplodon. Hows your training for lichfield going?
28/08/2014 at 23:43
I'm pretty much there, I'm a regular cyclist and runner so already have the Sprint distances more than covered...my swim however is pretty crap, something I'm still working on but I know I can cover the distance...with a couple of rest breaks
30/08/2014 at 21:13
A long delay in replying sorry.... thats good, glad its going ok.

Planned to go out on bike today but so late back from shopping trip - 1hr late bus was but one had broken diwn & one was in an accident so cdnt really say much when bus finally turned up.

Hope to do a brick session with bike then run tomorrow, then swim tues nite. Other half asked how long i was going to be- said based on first triathlon time (2hrs 35minutes & 34seconds) hope to be done by 11am at the latest if my swim time is same as at east leake (8.09am)!
30/08/2014 at 21:15
I meant he wanted to know how long i wd be next sunday lol.
Mr StOat    pirate
30/08/2014 at 21:28

I've swum 2 half iron distance races breaststroke and two full iron distance races in crawl. I know the crawl was more efficient, but sometimes it's nice to have a fall back stroke. 

Do what you want. The important thing is to just do it. Better spend time training and practicing than wondering of you could / should. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 57 of 57 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.