Swimming breast stroke in a tri

Does it really matter?

41 to 47 of 47 messages
seren nos    pirate
20/06/2014 at 15:39

someone breast stroked the swim of a triple a few years ago.........because of the arm action they managed to rip out a pile of hair from their chest are and a bit on their back

22/06/2014 at 23:55

Have done breaststroke for much of the swim in two triathlons, one Olympic, one half ironman. Was a bit worried the first time that the leg kick would tire my legs out but it didnt. Means breathing and sighting won't be a problem. Can also be interesting to see what is going on, see some crawlers zig-zagging like anything, etc.

Because the kick goes out sideways it is a bit more hazardous to others than a front crawl kick but people swimming behind or overtaking should be conscious of what you are doing and give you space. Can make going round crowded buoys a bit more awkward though - i tend to take the outside line to have a bit more space.

22/06/2014 at 23:55
Edited: 22/06/2014 at 23:56
23/06/2014 at 11:26

I cant see how one can ask a breaststroke merchant to be considerate to freestylers people overtaking them, but staying close enough to get kicked. Its not as if the 'stroker can see the frestyler.

Plus if you swim close to the 'stroker and the rule were that they should stop kicking while you overtake surely that would be unfair wouldnt it?  

23/06/2014 at 13:02

Thanks Cougie - I'll stick with it and see how I get on - I've got 12 months to go at it!

23/06/2014 at 21:11

It has been interesting reading some of the responses to this post.  

With regard to freestylers overtaking - i was told if i wanted I could carry on coming to my tri club swim session on tuesday but swim breast stroke in the Ironman lane - I did express concern that I would be in the way but it has not been like that as the people  at the club who swam in that lane know me and just went around me with no problem although occasionally I did freestyle kick with breastroke arms until they had passed.

An update on the Aquathlon which I did yesterday (22 June) I did it in 1 hour 10mins and 5 secs which am very happy with considering it was quite warm -the swim I did breaststroke in 14mins and 22 secs.

If I do another one will make sure there is no more than 2 laps involved in the run lol.

25/06/2014 at 22:30

Well there we go. After people talking about how dangerous breaststroke is i manage to swim front crawl for a whole race and... get smashed in the eye by a fellow crawler while he is overtaking.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 47 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.