Swimming coaching?

can't do crawl

61 to 75 of 75 messages
WildWill    pirate
24/09/2003 at 18:51
no 50m pools around here at all :o(
24/09/2003 at 19:11
Wont be round here for much longer WW

They're shutting Leeds International Pool to make way for some much-needed office space

:-)
24/09/2003 at 20:25
There's a 50m pool at High Wycombe, but they stick a ruddy great wall across the middle of it! Is that normal?

It's lowered for club sessions and things, but it's there a lot of the time...
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
24/09/2003 at 21:02
Technique training pays off, especially if your coach employs a camcorder to show you what you are doing. I've learnt a lot.
24/09/2003 at 22:28
((Pssst Ironwolf. We're talking about swimming- think you might have got away with it though. People do film swimmers dont they?))
WildWill    pirate
24/09/2003 at 22:29
Leeds is the closest 50m to me
24/09/2003 at 22:43
Well make the most of it WW.

It wont be there much longer
25/09/2003 at 08:54
Seems to happen at my pool Juliejoo - well at least the two times I've been there. It was half opened for the local swimming clubs coaching and once that had finished it was closed off again.

Still I'm glad I didn't have to do full lengths during my lesson - I was knackered as it was! This "proper" swimming malarky is harder than I realised but I guess that's from several years of just running.
25/09/2003 at 09:34
I hasten to add that I stick to nice friendly little 25m pool where I can flounder to the side in times of distress...
25/09/2003 at 09:58
I find that being able to stop every few strokes to stand up and do whale snorting impressions is an important part of developing technique and has the added bonus of amusing the local kids.

Do you triathletes agree or is this banned under international triathlon regulations (like drafting on the bike or something)?
25/09/2003 at 10:03
(I have seen them blow bubbles in their tumble turns. They think no one notices)
25/09/2003 at 16:10
Is the pool at Gurnell 50m without the barrier in the middle then? i.e. is the deep pool 50m? That's where I learnt to swim as a kid, haven't been there for a few years though so can't quite remember how big the pool was...
25/09/2003 at 16:55
Both times I've been there (tuesday evenings) half the pool has had the barrier and half of it did not so there was a partial 50m section. However that 50m section was being used by swimming club coaching and as soon as that had finished the barrier was put back so it had 25m lane swimming in the deeper half and 25ish m of faffing-around-swimming (i.e. my swimming!) in the shallower half.

That was the deep pool, the other one is smaller and seems to be quite shallow for kids. Haven't been in it though.

I'm not sure yet if there are nights when a whole 50m section is available for general public use. Possibly during the adults-only session on thursdays? Ought to be going tonight but have had my arm twisted to go out for a Thai & beer or two - beats a noseful of chlorine :-)
Monique    pirate
25/09/2003 at 21:24
Chaos I recommend Clumber Park sprint tri if you like to stop for a breather during the swim, it was so shallow I was scooping mud up with my hands.
01/10/2003 at 12:55
Just in case Chimp looks in again, or for anybody else who might be interested, a new 50 metre pool is going to be built at the South Leeds Stadium complex to replace the old International pool.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
61 to 75 of 75 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.