21 to 34 of 34 messages
20/02/2004 at 12:56
fank...... ok.

sorwee

20/02/2004 at 12:57
No pwoblem!
20/02/2004 at 13:20
interesting thread!

i swim as cross training and know my style leaves much to be desired but i enjoy it nonetheless.

What is meant by bi-lateral breathing. is that when you do three strokes and breath left and then three strokes and breathe right - doing freestyle of course?

also, i got told recently that if your shins play up from running that swimming is actually bad to do. i see you mention about "shins burning"?

one more question - how quickly/slowly should you kick with freestyle and should your kick cause any surface splashes or not?

20/02/2004 at 13:32
ok,

bilateral breathing just means alternate breathing (3's, 5's, 7's etc - as an aside, good drill for lung and -i think- anaerobic training is to do a lenght breath every 3, a length every 5, a length every 7, a length every 9, then back down, 7, 5, 3. etc.) and yes, freestyle, you'll find your own rhythm for breathing backstroke, fly i breathe every 3, breastroke every 1 or 2 depending on whether i'm working hard or not. Whatever is comfortably for you -like running.

As far as shins go, i guess shin splints could be aggravated by 'aggresive' kick, but if you're just kicking a little to maintain body position i can't think any harm would come from it, the burn i talk about is mostly due (i think) to the lack of muscle on and around the shin - calf is much stronger, but isn't really utilised as much due to the nature of the movement. If you have no problems with your shins then don't worry about it, the burn feels like any other muscle 'burn' when in the gym etc. If you have trouble with shins then swim with a pull buoy between your legs untill they're better.

as far as freestyle kick goes, well, most of the work from the kick is underwater -if you waste energy with half your kick above water, then it isn't propelling you anywhere. However splash is inevitable and doesn't mean you're doing it wrong. When you next get the chance watch some swimming races on telly, helluva lot of splash in the sprints going on, and a constant steady splash from kick going on in the longer distance races where there is less of a sprint element. If you kick fast and hard there'll be a lot more splash than if you do deeper slower kicks (which are better for toning i think -not that it's worked!!)
20/02/2004 at 13:32
i wish i could write as many words on thesis stuff.

hmmm gone back to wuk.
20/02/2004 at 13:49
;-D
20/02/2004 at 14:14
Moosey,
don't some bacteria have flagella....?!

Thats swimmin' aint it.?!!

I see at least one full chunky chapter on this!!!!
20/02/2004 at 14:23
thanks moosey most informative. what are you writing your thesis on?

sorry if this is a really stupid question but when you say length breath what do you mean? do you mean every 3rd etc. length to do a length on just one breath? i'm sure that's not what you mean but can't work it out.
20/02/2004 at 14:28
Have you tried reading Total Immersion by Terry Laughlin? It transformed my swimming (which was pretty awful before, it has to be said). This book teaches you to reduce drag and therefore increase speed, with less effort. Sounds unbelievable, but is actually true. It uses various simple drills to get you swimming flatter, longer and faster. I used to do 25 strokes per length (25m pool) - I now do 14. And I used to have to stop after 2 lengths, whereas now I can do 100.

And re the weak leg kick, I thought I had a weak leg kick, and that's why my legs tended to drop in the water, but actually I needed to correct my whole position in the water, pushing down with my chest and keeping my head almost completely submerged. Now my legs float along at the surface and I kick much more freely as I'm not constantly trying to kick my legs up.

I appreciate that you may all be better swimmers than me and know all about this stuff, in which case I'm sorry. But if not, I highly recommend this book.
20/02/2004 at 14:56
Yogajoga, she means swim one length of the pool taking a breath every 3 strokes, one length breathing every 5...and so on.

TI is indeed useful for some people, but remember that it is just one method of coaching..with a very good marketing campaign! Others may be just as valid, and more accessible to you in terms of actual classes.
20/02/2004 at 16:00
yup nics right, meant breathe every 3rd stroke for 1 length, then breathe every 5th stroke for 1 length etc. sorry!
20/02/2004 at 16:07
Oh, I just breath every 3rd (right armpit, full stroke, then left!)...thought that was bi-lateral breathing...
20/02/2004 at 16:18
it is. because you alternate sides you breathe. Bi lateral can be 3 or 5 etc but not 2 or 4.
20/02/2004 at 16:32
thanks all - clear now.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.