Swimming.. how many strokes per breath?

Help

41 to 55 of 55 messages
13/07/2010 at 09:13

I think fondness is the right word. How many times have we lived through disappointment and let down?

I suppose its better than being an England supporter though.

(PS Any one who does tri MUST be good) (Im just a not-very-good runner)

(PPS and back to the thread, off swimming tomorrow, alreayd pscyhing myself up to swallow half the pool.)

13/07/2010 at 10:07

Water Vole - I quickly picked up breathing on both sides. Probably about two sessions before it felt anything like natural then I just kept persevering with it.

I am exceptionally slow. I did 800m in 22 mins in a Tri.

13/07/2010 at 10:12

Orange, so how many strokes per breath do you prefer?

I think 22 mins is v good, as you then had to go onto a bike and then run after that too. I swim and then finish.......

nnnooooooooo........ dont tempt me........ Im a runner....... not a tri...........

I do like those little pirate things though.... arent they just for tri's?

14/07/2010 at 19:18
I just can't get bilateral breathing sorted at all. I guess I need to forget everything else (well not everything, as I might drown, oh and I need to at least remember where I parked the car) and give a few pool lengths to concentrating on breathing to alternate sides.
15/07/2010 at 10:14

Im with you on this parkbench (I hope your name doesnt refer to any unfortunate incident). Not sorted yesterday.

I tried yesterday, and whereas when I breathe out on the right, everything is smooth and gliding through the water, it was the opposite when I tried from the left. My shoulder and arm just seemd to chop down on the water, and it even felt like my chest chopped down too. My balance was right out of sync and I didnt feel comfortable at all.

Normally I pride myself on going through the water quite stealthily, albeit not quickly, but using my LH side, I was choppy, splashy and, basically, rubbish.

Will it get better? Am I being impatient?

Edited: 15/07/2010 at 10:14
15/07/2010 at 10:23

Hi Vole

I taught myself bilateral breathing not long ago and felt like I was sinking on the left when I first tried but I persisted and now it's fine at every 3 breaths.  Keep with it.

16/07/2010 at 09:34
OK, will try. x
19/07/2010 at 12:51

oooh just seen this thread, i do every 5, all the time, sprints, long swims, everything, i guess by the advice here if i'm to increase my speed i need to step back to every 3, particulalry for the sprint workouts? I'm doing 2 miles in just under 1 hr at the mo which I didn't think was such bad going?  I so need to get me a blinkin book, this triathlon stuff is complicated

The bit i struggle with all the time is the kicking, i really need to do some 121 lessons.

Edited: 19/07/2010 at 12:53
19/07/2010 at 13:59

Most triathletes hardly bother kicking as you want to save your legs for the bike and the run.  They just use a small kick for balance.

19/07/2010 at 14:21
This news makes me happy - cheers
19/07/2010 at 16:19
Water Vole wrote (see)

Orange, so how many strokes per breath do you prefer?

I think 22 mins is v good, as you then had to go onto a bike and then run after that too. I swim and then finish.......

nnnooooooooo........ dont tempt me........ Im a runner....... not a tri...........

I do like those little pirate things though.... arent they just for tri's?

I manage 3 absolutely fine. But after 2 lengths I'm pooped. I did the 22mins doing BS
Which I suppose I'll continue to do. I did my first OW Tri yesterday and did mainly BS. I was one of the slowest but the last out of the water. Infact it was shallow in places and I think some were walking it !!
Farnie    pirate
19/07/2010 at 16:45

I did that in my 400m badge....

19/07/2010 at 16:51
400m ! I only ever remember going as far as 25m. Yesterday was in Manley Mere I know you are familar with it Farnie. I cut my foot as well.
Farnie    pirate
19/07/2010 at 20:05

I enjoyed (well I say enjoyed, I never really enjoy OW) swimming at Manley.

Mainly because everyone from Chester Tri were so darn nice.

20/07/2010 at 18:25

They were nice on Sunday

It is very similar to Three Sisters where I've been going in Wigan. Less foliage though.

Edited: 20/07/2010 at 18:26

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 55 of 55 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.