swimming stroke

does anyone swim breast stroke

12 messages
25/06/2009 at 17:42
Hi i am venturing into triathlon hopefully this summer, as i keep getting M.T.S.S on my lower legs due to running.Triathlon will hopefully allow me to focus on the other 2 disciplines cycling,and swimming and allow me to cut my road running, thus helping my shins.However I do struggle with front crawl! I much prefair to swim breast stroke but i am worried that i will be to slow.Does anyone swim breast stroke in Triathlon or will i look a complete div.
M...eldy    pirate
25/06/2009 at 17:44
People do swim breaststroke but use your swimming time to get some lessons on front crawl and you will find it a whole lot easier once you are up and running
25/06/2009 at 17:49
I am regularly overtaken by people doing breast stroke. Some of them are female, in their 60s and wear flowery bathing caps.
25/06/2009 at 18:00
I do breaststroke, proper stylie, had lessons. Not very fast on the swim leg but make it up on the bike. Lessons are well worth it. I am venturing onto crawl when I recover from a shoulder injury. I read somewhere that 30% of people at Tri's do breaststroke. It was a bit like swimming in a shark infested pool I've got to say though.
25/06/2009 at 18:41

The problem with breaststroke is that it uses lots of leg muscles and you really want to be keeping those for the rest of the race.  You'll also find it hard to do in a wetsuit as they're not designed to allow your legs to move like that.  You'll also be quite unpopular as FC swimmers don't like getting kicked by breaststrokers

Lots of us have learned to FC so give it a go.

25/06/2009 at 18:46

What distance?

I used to do a much faster 400m breast stroke than front crawl but for distances beyond that I wouldn't do it now.

I had just 6 lessons and then joined a club, front crawl soon came through and is now faster than breast stroke.

As Mister W says, breast stroke over any distance in a wetsuit can really make your knees and hips ache.

At best/worst, what about front crawl legs and breast stroke arms?

25/06/2009 at 20:21
It is a pool swim so i wont be wearing a wet suit and i believe we are assigned a lane so i should keep clear of the guys doing FC.I timed a length on the clock today and FC was 30 seconds,BS was 35 seconds I cant imagine that i would be much slower than the slow front crawl swimmers over 17 lengths.should easily make the time up on the cycle and run which i am stronger at.I suppose the only way to find out is go and have a go.Thanks for info guys.
25/06/2009 at 20:33

Wetsuit and BS do not really go together due to the bouyancy from the suit.
Sprint tri's in a pool you should be ok (without wettie). There are quite a few peeps use this stroke in pool based tri's, but for open water I'd try to learn FC.

As a former county breast stroke swimmer I can do upto a mile quicker BS than FC in a pool.
But open water in a wettie, forget it.

About a day slower.

25/06/2009 at 22:53

I could only manage 8 lengths front crawl prior to my first tri because I was so used to BS that I didn't feel comfortable doing anything else. Tried to do FC in the tri but gave up after 25 yards and finished the swim using BS. There were a fair number of people coming out of the water behind me and I think I only dropped a half a dozen places on the bike (my weakest area) so I was fairly chuffed with that.

Since then I've been forced to resort to FC due to a combination of IT Band and Hamstring problems, physio told me to stay away from BS.

I've started having one-to-one lessons focussing on FC. I must say that taking lessons is one of the best things that I've done as my swim coach has given me a lot more confidence in my ability to swim FC. After two lessons with her she had me trying to do somersaults in the water in preparation for trying tumble turns.

Hopefully, all this will stand me in good stead because I'm doing the open water swim at Dorney Lake in 2 weeks time.

26/06/2009 at 06:39
I don't think tumble turns are going to help much there Griffin.
26/06/2009 at 13:31

When I started swimming I was pretty hopeless. I swam breaststoke at first, then gradually added a few lengths of crawl - one every 4 lengths. Gradually I started doing alternate lengths, then 3 in every four. I then just gradually upped it to 5 in 6, 9 in 10, until I suddenly found I could swim 50 lengths front crawl no problem.

The other thing I managed to learn to do was breathe on alternate sides. I just couldn't do it at first, and always breathed on the same side (i.e. every 2 strokes) followed a similar pattern to actually swimming crawl in the first place - I just forced myself to do it occasionally for a whole length. Then I put 2 lengths of it together. Then I moved to 4, and suddenly realised I was doing it, it was natural, and my stroke immediately became much smoother and longer.

I'm still not a great swimmer, but I can't believe the progress I have made.

Gyraffe    pirate
26/06/2009 at 13:39

Exiled claret - that's a cool story. Well done.

Brad - when you say your assigned a lane - are you anticipating having a lane to yourself?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.