Swimming

My swimming sucks!!!

1 to 20 of 30 messages
02/10/2010 at 18:05

Ive got my heart set on doing a triathlon next year, but im having major hassle with my swimming. Im having lessons,but seem to have hit a BRICK WALL!!!!! I cant rotate my body and the least said about my arms the better!!! Anybody got any easy swimming tips,to get me on my way.

Thanks Folks!!!!

Cpt.Jack sparra    pirate
02/10/2010 at 18:08
Get a better coach !!!
02/10/2010 at 18:37

http://www.zbramotors.com/pics/smilies/i-agree.gif

You need a coach who is able to work with you and get you over problems you're struggling with.  If you current one can't help find another one.

02/10/2010 at 18:42
I think your both right,I train in a group. Not one to one!! Ive learnt loads,but want to learn more.
02/10/2010 at 18:56
I went to a club with a coach for a while and only my swim fitness really improved , I didn't really notice any gains in my technique . I left and joined Warrington triathlon club and went along to the coached swim sessions and I literally learnt more in the first hour than I had in months at the other club !! I believe it very much depends on the quality of the coach and his/her ability to notice and correct your mistakes, I would definitely either speak to swimmers or triathletes in your area and find out a good place to go for help as I found that once my technique was corrected not only did I swim faster but I also seemed to use half the effort and energy !!
02/10/2010 at 18:58
Oh and by the way they were also group sessions not one to one , I'm sure a good coach can sort you out wether it's one to one or group
Dubai Dave    pirate
03/10/2010 at 05:35
One  1- 2- 1 coached session took 3 minutes off my 1500M swim time.
03/10/2010 at 07:08
William....I'm in a similar position to you it seems...after 6 years of training for and running marathons I want to do triathlons next year but am a poor swimmer..
Really took myself out my comfort zone and had a few lessons and went to my local triclub swim coach sessions and spent as much time in the pool as poss practicing .
Whilst I do not claim to be a great swimmer all of a sudden I am proud as punch that I have gone from not being able to manage 2 lengths without dying (I didn't realize you breathed out under water and used to forget to breath all together) to managing 20 lengths on Friday without stopping!!!
So I now know I've gotb5 months to improve distance and style before I think about entering any sprint tris and hopefully a fulll tri late next season.

My ultimate aim (looks round to make sure no pirates are listening) is to to complete an IM the following year when I turn 40!
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
03/10/2010 at 21:13
No dice Hurds -we're always listening, we're pirates ya see, always somebody on board who's on watch! Now you've said it out loud we'll never let you get away without doing one.
08/10/2010 at 08:14

My swimming sucks too!

Running is my strength and have been cycling for 18 months now but have been putting off the swimming.  I started lessons 3 weeks ago to try to master the front crawl.  I have a fantastic swimming pool not too far from home and every lifeguard is an instructor and most of the triathletes!  I'm going to a group lesson but am the only one there so for £3.25 I get an hours individual lesson, more or less.

I've got a good kick and a good stroke (apparently) but cannot get the breathing at all!  I think practice is going to be king. 

Even thinking about open water swimming starts a wave of fear in my belly but, taking that marathon is my running distance and I've found I'm much better at long distance cycling than short, it would seem that to do a triathlon involving those distances I would also have to do the long distance openwater swim.

My ultimate goal is to also complete an IM but not for about 5 years.

Dubai Dave    pirate
08/10/2010 at 08:26
Manni: Somehow doubt you will take 5 years to get to a IM, I was a rubbish swimmer three months ago now I can finish mid pack in a open water swim, you soon get used to it. It was when I realised that my mind was wandering whilst I was swimming that it dawned on me that I wasn't actually having to make myself breath etc anymore. It will happen, just think back to when you started running. Good luck
09/10/2010 at 06:41
Minni-10 weeks ago I was posting similar posts to you and felt somewhat a fraud even being on this site as I was starting to question whether I would ever be able to even get up to 16 lengths for a sprint.
Same issues really....after a length I was nearly dying as I wasn't breathing despite being fit and again like you coming from a distance running back ground.
However 10 weeks on, yesterday I swam 50 lengths and am proud as punch.
Thanks to fantastic advise from my local tri club swim coach once a week at the weekly club session (you will never believe how daunting the first few sessions were despite everyones welcoming efforts) and spending lots of time in my gym pool I now feel I can look forward to the spring and compete in some sprints and then try and develop my new found swim skills in the open water!!

Basically minni stick at it and you will be amazed!
09/10/2010 at 09:36
Jack sparra wrote (see)
 I left and joined Warrington triathlon club

you're in Warrington ? small world, kept that quiet.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
09/10/2010 at 09:44
All the best people are in Warrington Rosey!
LIVERBIRD    pirate
09/10/2010 at 09:45

In fact, I can see you're in your pants from here if I use my wide angled lens....

Get dressed man! You're scaring the munchkin!

09/10/2010 at 18:25
LIVERBIRD wrote (see)
All the best people are in Warrington Rosey!

Completely agree!
09/10/2010 at 20:30
Liverbird and iron Rose I couldn't agree more
10/10/2010 at 12:15
if theres that many of us, where is the pirate run crew or ride outs !! eh ? do I have to do everything on my own lol
10/10/2010 at 14:36
Well I only know Viking from round here I thought all you pirates were from miles away ! I'd be well up for a few training rides etc. Although I know all you pirates are "mad for it" so 60 milers would be my limit none of this 100 mile dash malarkey !
LIVERBIRD    pirate
10/10/2010 at 21:11

I'm in West Warrington. Rosey knows I'm better than him......

Viking has my address (probably) as he knows where everyone lives!

1 to 20 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.