Swimming

post good sessions here for us novices!

21 to 33 of 33 messages
22/09/2003 at 16:50
Moosey - thanks - glad to see I'm on the right tracks - doing mutual back rubbing with Mr B (we're both doing the 'learning to swim properly' thing). Did an easy 10 minutes today ... and an easier 20 mins in the hot tub! I think as I'm so used to running and cycling long distnces, I expect to be able to swim a longer distance with no effects whatsoever - have to remind myself that in April I could only do two lengths of front crawl before sinking!

But how do you do the 'stretching and kicking' thing? I mean, without drowning?

22/09/2003 at 16:51
Oooh, and thanks Dr Nic and Ed as well (bit of simultaneous posting there!).

Mmm, lots to try!
22/09/2003 at 16:54
Ooops - jut tried the rolling shoulder thing ... something is going 'click, click' in the middle of my chest. Hmmm, but only when I roll them backwards, not fowards.

Red wine cure tonight, I think!
22/09/2003 at 16:58
Try rolling just one then the other? But clicks are OK I think.

By the way I just did an experimental double-shoulder roll to see if I click too, quite forgetting I was at work...got some funny looks!
22/09/2003 at 17:00
A lot more intereting than work, this ... click in chest on first backward shoulder roll but not subsequent ones ... and only on left side ...

I'm old and ready for the knackers yard.
22/09/2003 at 17:04
OK, now try this! (I'll do it too...ready)

Hold your hands together behind your back and really pull your shoulders back.

Betcha get a whole cacophony of cracks and clicks.

N-i-c-e!
22/09/2003 at 17:12
Snap Dr Nic I just did the same, but at home!

Thanks all for tips and help.

Thanks for those sessions Dr Nic and M. How long would you take to rest between each set?

I've been trying to work on form/technique a bit, with stretching out as if reaching for something and leaving hand longer on the stretch before the push phase of stroke.

Some people just look effortless in the water. I know I need to work on this a lot!
22/09/2003 at 17:17
Something that really helped me from the last coached session I went to last week was him getting us to relax the hand above/going into the water, but really push on the under-the-water hand...quite hard to co-ordinate one slow and relaxed and the other hard and fast, but it did help a lot when you can do it. Does that make sense?

I tend to rest for 10-20 seconds between "reps" of 25s..50s..whatever, but a bit longer (30-45 secs) between the actual set of 8x25 and moving on to the 50s or whatever it is. Not too much rest tho!
22/09/2003 at 18:45
Thanks I'll be trying all this on my next session. Won't be swimming this week though as I've got a marathon on Sunday, but should have more time while recovering from the marathon!
22/09/2003 at 19:46
rest.... last sundays session was all 30seconds.. which seems a long time at the start... but not long enough toward the end.

the pyramid... until i don;t feel like i'm about to die... up to 2 mins as far as i remember

crackly stretches.. the best one to do is:
(listen carefully now!)
sit on the floor with your left leg flat... put your right foot over yout left leg so it's on the outside (left) next to your left knee.
stretch your upper body round to the left till you can put your right forearm down the left of your right shin (the one that's over your left leg!) with your elbow against the knee... and stretch round as far as you can trying to look behind yourself...

easy huh ? oh and repeat on the other side... more clicks than a clicky thing!

(dr nic.. please tell me you tried this one at work too)
22/09/2003 at 20:57
I only have to expand my chest to crack and click!
23/09/2003 at 09:01
Ooh, Ed...hang on...nggg...yep, definitely getting some odd looks now!
23/09/2003 at 11:02
its not a proper stretch til you can count the vertebrae by the number of cracks :D

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.