Talkback: Bikram Yoga for Triathletes

It's proven that Runners who practice Yoga are less prone to injury!!

13 messages
23/01/2013 at 20:58
TheEngineer    pirate
23/01/2013 at 23:00
zoe pierce wrote (see)

Where's that proven? Not doubting you, but I'd like to read it first hand.

24/01/2013 at 07:56
Says who ?
24/01/2013 at 09:21

I do like a bit of downward dog

Doner Kebab    pirate
24/01/2013 at 09:22

its also proven that runners eat food live longer than those that dont, you just got to love empirical science

24/01/2013 at 09:23

cite your sources

24/01/2013 at 10:09
I did Bikram for 3 months 3/4 times a week and whilst I enjoyed it and became a little more flexible I think there are better forms of Yoga out there. Why? Well at first I thought this is amazing and quite a good workout, then I took a friend along who practiced Ashtanga Yoga and she said Bikram was prety easy and it was only the heat that made it feel hard. This was confirmed to me when one morning the heating system was faulty so we had portable heaters in the studio. The heat was around 32c for the duration instead of the usual 40c+. The class felt so easy and I left feeling like I hadn't had any kind of workout. Since this episode I have changed my opinion on Bikram. To add to that, it is propbably the most un-green yoga around, the amount of energy used to heat those rooms must me emense which is reflected in the cost of a class, it was £13 a session when I went, it's now a whopping £16! Compare that to £8 a class for Ashtanga. For me it's a no brainer. Having said that, any form yoga will benefit those in need of a good stretch but I suggest you try a few flavours of yoga before signing up and parting with your hard earned cash!
24/01/2013 at 10:15

I'm 50/50 on Bikram, I know people who feel it has helped but also know three runners who have sustained injuries during Bikram classes that stopped them running for months.

But as with any yoga class, it depends on the teacher - some of them are excellent and some classes encourage a ridiculous competitive practice.

24/01/2013 at 11:22
Yep, I agree, the reachers definately make a difference. We once had a "guest" Bikram teacher from the US, she was so bad I took to wearing earplugs in class to block out the constant drivel!!
24/01/2013 at 12:09

Triathlete's World you beat me to it I was going to write a forum on Hot Yoga.

I never tried it but my daughter has seen the classes  up town and she told me about it  I have also googled it

Apparently there is gym in Beceknham  that charges £15.00 a class - I love to try it to help my old shoulder and leg injury.  But the cost is too much and  I also fear I might pass out during the yoga. class.  I am very stiff it's really embarrassing. 

But if  I save up enough pocket money I will try it and let you  guys  know all about  it. I aiming to touch the top of my head with my foot.

Or naked yoga???    Nooo way

Also there's  that yoga with sheet and you are in the air. What's that one called???

seren nos yn canu    pirate
24/01/2013 at 12:33

£16 for a sesion of yoga....i do yoga but its free with my swim pass

Doner Kebab    pirate
24/01/2013 at 13:04
Did read something about it being unhealthy due to the high amount humidity for the bacteria to live in but I'll assume that's only in a dedicated room and surely the same would apply to saunas. CBA with any of it,I train hard and never been injured through training so until I am I will stay an inflexible fitness luddite
05/02/2013 at 18:14

for a home yoga workout (and therefore cheaper) i've found the Ryan Giggs Yoga inspired DVD http://www.amazon.co.uk/Giggs-Fitness-DVD-Various-Artists/dp/B003ZDNZC4 really useful a couple of times a week.

and we all know why he likes to stay flexible dont we...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
13 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.