Talkback: Wetsuit Care 101

"Try not to pee in your wetsuit – the urine will damage the neoprene and leave a nasty stink."I dont know anyone who doesnt ...

21 to 34 of 34 messages
meface    pirate
16/06/2011 at 15:21
seren nos wrote (see)

.....when ever you sit on a piece of grass you never know who has just peed there

yes we do it was you Seren

Edited: 16/06/2011 at 15:22
16/06/2011 at 15:23
I shall never sit on the grass again.

It's not so much the pee per se, Seren - it's STALE pee. And it's in rather larger quantities than just 'not washing hands'.
Iron Pugsley    pirate
16/06/2011 at 19:58
Anyone that recommends not peeing in a wetsuit has never swum in Scotland in June. It is a matter of survival not hygiene!
purpletrilady    pirate
16/06/2011 at 20:40
seren nos wrote (see
)

just wash it out afterwards no problem..........otherwise everytime you buy something second hand or borrow a set of pirate kit you never know......................and even if you buy new.............the person making it could have just been to the toilet for a pee or something else and not washed his hands before making your stuff................

Its only a piece of piss................stop worrying about it........when ever you sit on a piece of grass you never know who has just peed there

totally agree

16/06/2011 at 20:53

Just adding my thing.... pee in a healthy individual is a pretty sterile liquid... nearly everyone pees in the wetsuit....

Now, adding to the fray.... a little thought.... so you really think drafting those people in the swim is such a good idea now? That pee has to wash off and go out at some point...

Hope    pirate
17/06/2011 at 07:17
Can't be any worse than my local pool in the school holidays. Lots of suspicious warm patches
seren nos    pirate
17/06/2011 at 07:56

after drying wetsuit outside I left it behind one of the chairs..............this morning my son sat there and told me my wetsuit stank.........I was embarressed until I picked it up and realised it didn't smell of wee or pond water........I had cleaned it well enough............he meant that rubber smell from the fabric........so I guess he won't get into any bondage fetish

24/04/2013 at 05:39

It's ridiculous to be grossed out about the thought of buying a secondhand westsuit. Is it also necessary to buy a brand new toilet when you move house? Things can be cleaned. 

PSC    pirate
24/04/2013 at 06:22

so true EC.  But we have people at work who won't use a mug that came out of a dishwasher in case someone else in the office drank from it?  WTF...  how do these people cope in pubs/restaurants/real life?

Blisters    pirate
24/04/2013 at 08:32

Perhaps they eat in posh restaurants, where they polish the silver cutlery and crystal glasses by breathing on them until it condenses, then wiping down.

Anyway, what's the problem with second hand wetsuits?

Hey, you should see the puddle patch 20m behind the start line in Pen 1 at London marathon! Talk about a localised area of dampness.

cougie    pirate
24/04/2013 at 08:44
This reminds me. A girl in work has invited us to "wear our wetsuits in work" soon as she's doing a triathlon and wants to raise sponsorship.

No way am I wearing mine. I'm conditioned to wee in it for warmth. Which is fine in a lake. Less fine in an office. (even less fine trying a new one on in a shop)
The Silent Assassin    pirate
24/04/2013 at 08:58

Unfortunately I have a problem with my wetsuit, its so tight that on the beech at the start for IM Wales I was so desperate for a pee that I went in the wetsuit and it didn't trickle out the legs it just stayed round my middle adding ballast.

24/04/2013 at 09:02

I do it. (sorry SA!)   Have to say there are an awful lot of "warm spots" at Boundary Park!

The Silent Assassin    pirate
24/04/2013 at 19:36

What is strange is when you have to trump/fart/ pass wind in a wettie, it travels up your back and comes out by your neck

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.