Tamslin Lewis podcast: Ironman/Marathon, bad for your heart

Anyone else get freaked out by this podcast?

21 to 37 of 37 messages
meface    pirate
21/06/2013 at 22:06

Feck it - I'm more likely to be killed by traffic on my bike than a heart attack on my bike (unless traffic induced). I still ride my bike in traffic.

Carry on.

22/06/2013 at 18:45

I've dealt with several fatals at the London tri in the last five years....4 have been heart attacks, all of which have been during the corporate relay race, where someone has made up the third leg and done no training, 3 of these have been in the swim section and another fatal was on the bike leg when a member of the public ignored the crossing points and got hit by a bike doing nearly 35mph...but all count for the purpose of triathlon related deaths I bet.

Hope    pirate
22/06/2013 at 19:36

I listened to the podcast this afternoon. 

It's obviously something we should be aware of and certainly, it's worth getting checked out if there is a history of heart problems in your family. For most of us though, as long as we are getting enough recovery and aren't pushing ourselves relentlessly then I doubt we have much to worry about.

Her point about the damage our hearts acquire due to racing an Ironman was alarming, but as she said, just like our other muscles recover so does our heart if we allow enough recovery time. It makes me wonder about multiple Ironman racing though. 

its not just our end of the spectrum that needs a health check though. She pointed out that the ever popular HIIT sessions can be dangerous too! 

seren nos yn canu    pirate
22/06/2013 at 19:39

someone told TC........

22/06/2013 at 19:41

Blimey FF you sound like a bit of a shit magnet 

M...eldy    pirate
22/06/2013 at 19:41

Hope .. with regards multiple IM .. single or conintual I suppose the clarification needs to be what period is 'recovery'?  Overnight, days, weeks ...

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
22/06/2013 at 20:04

I love it, scientists always come up with these hypothesies, a couple of weeks ago they were suggesting chemicals in some food packaging is harmful in pregrant women, next week it it will be eating to many banana's will make your pubes curly.

Lifes a risk, everything we do carries risk, I know I enjoy doing the training, cammoradorie and sense of achievement I get from Ironman races.  Ironman give me a focus an incentive to have a heathier life.  Its quite clear to me from the effects from the off season that id soon be 18+ stone again if I didnt have an Ironman to train for.

22/06/2013 at 20:09

Ive been at about 4 Tris and a few marathon where people died, terrible for the individual and their familes but I cant help wondering if the same x thousand people had been gardening or watching tele would the mortality rate been different?  thats aside from the benefits those competing would have gained from being fitter.

Lets see, rough calculations on a the back of a nicotine patch.

Total deaths in the Triathlon and Marathon races ive participated in 5 or 6.
Total participant in all Triathlon and Marathon races ive participated in 200,000?

Ive no idea what the average daily mortality rate is but 1 in 40,000 doesnt sound to bad.

Hope    pirate
22/06/2013 at 20:33

I would rather pop my sparkly clogs doing something I love! 

22/06/2013 at 20:44

Totally agree

M...eldy    pirate
22/06/2013 at 20:46

22/06/2013 at 22:10

Concur.

I'd like it noted, for the record, that if I were to die training for or during a triathlon, I died happy and doing something I enjoy.

If it does happen, please would someone tell my Mum and Dad this?

Thanks.

OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
22/06/2013 at 23:51

went to a talk post olympics with the cardiolgist dude responsible for all the athletes.... his worry was the sudden death/ heart attack issue.... {like the foot baller a year or so ago - tragic and so unexpected

his view point was that any athlete has a heart that is 'abnormal' by normal standards.  it has thickning of muscle walls that is normally associated with cardiac disease in normal individuals.... in athletes / fit people its fine/expected and not an issue.  next time you go for an ecg/ct scan tll them you are in the to 1% of the population fitness wise.... (because anyone who hits the start line ad has done th e training of an IM is....)

he suggested that athletes, (proor amature) have hearts that survive 7 years + longer than sedentary individuals.   obvioisly some die young/old in each category but  use it or lose it....

Hope    pirate
23/06/2013 at 07:46

Well there we are then. We're all fine!

There goes another excuse to not train! Trainers back on everyone 

citizen 146    pirate
23/06/2013 at 16:28

fascinating thread , death is part of life, and I think I can echo what seems to be the consensus here, just get on with it, and get a check up if something seems off.

As a Paramedic I have seen a lot of death ,and very little of it comes from hobbies such as ours, do what makes you happy

M...eldy    pirate
23/06/2013 at 16:33

Thats just what I was thinking on reading the Nice report at the moment ... however sad it is that someone loses their life in 'our' sport or any sport for that matter it cannot compete with those who lose their life through inactivity

23/06/2013 at 16:44

Interesting feedback from the cardiologist OC and completely agree Melds

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 37 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.