That definitely wasn't on the year's plan...

Season wrecking injuries - tell me your stories to cheer me up!!

21 to 23 of 23 messages
Orca    pirate
04/05/2012 at 16:05

Holy Cow! That's some spill! Do you know what actually happened? I'm pleased to say I've had nothng that major, just a nasty spill badly bruising a few bits the day before the 1/2 Challenge in Barcelona.

04/05/2012 at 16:32

jevans - I'm told that someone else came off as well but he was apparently more annoyed about ripping his new assos jersey than his bruising! But his bike apparently got a bit mangled & needed some repairs as someone ran over it (!) so I guess that does fit with the rider vs bike damage story!

dtb - ouch that sounds nasty but glad you were ok & able to complete! The spirits were tested a few times in hospital I can assure you, but at the end of the day it's happened & there's nothing I can do about it now; just have to accept it, focus on rehab when I can start that & make sure I do everything I'm meant (or in my case, not meant!) to do and making the best recovery possible!  But you mean & nasty folks on here are having a bad influence & are making me think about lanza next year, but I think I should probably be sensible & at least wait to make sure I can move my arm again first!

ironwolf - that's gutting, am so sorry to hear that  Are you still able to compete in shorter events though I hope??

cake / gas - absolutely, I'm much cheaper to fix than my bike so thought it was the only honourable thing to do

I may still go to vit but as part of a relay (again - had to do that last year due to knee injury!); I'm planning on a sprint or 2 in September as the swimming will take time with my shoulder & running I will have to start again with my knee, but the bike I should be able to build up again quite quickly so should still be able to do the relay thing hopefully! Any volunteers for the swim & run

chick - wow, sounds like you've had a few incidents!  But good to hear that people can dust themselves off & get on again, as I think the mental recovery plays as big a part as the physical. In some ways I think not remembering what happened is a good thing, but in other ways it's a bad thing - I think it's going to be quite hard for me to trust riding with other people again knowing that's what caused it, but I suppose it's like being hit by a car; you just have to accept that what you do is a risk and whether you choose to accept that risk or not!

Thanks all for the best wishes - good news so far is that wounds are healing very well such that I can now shower again ( was getting really bored of sponge baths!!) and have follow up with the surgeon next Friday where I will hopefully get his blessing to start physio / rehab!

04/05/2012 at 16:40

orca - I have absolutely no memory of it, including a few minutes before & after and I'm yet to hear first hand from someone who saw it themselves what exactly happened, so while I've heard bits & pieces 2nd hand I don't know exactly what happened yet.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 23 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.