The 2012 Outlaw Bike Feedstation/Support Thread

Volunteers, please - the more, the merrier!

181 to 200 of 930 messages
08/05/2012 at 13:22
For the record, the 'little list lady' was not responsible for adding your name so I am exonerated from all blame. It was someone else but I am not mentioning any names although you may like to check out Gastank's post at 21:12 on 13/04/12

<<winky smiley>>
08/05/2012 at 13:32

Gas - you call *that* an explanation?!? Utterly rubbish my dear boy is what that was!!

Schmunkee - it's ok I understand & won't force you to tell me who it was

But seriously tho, what happens with the provision of said required camping equipment etc etc? I have lots of time to do research at the moment if purchases are required!!

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
08/05/2012 at 15:16

<span style="font-size: small;"><span style="color: #000000;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">We have helped out at the outlaw on one of the bike course feedstations the last couple of years.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  It basically involves setting it up at about 7am and being there to hand out drinks, banana’s, gels etc to the competitors as they pass.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  But most importantly giving everyone lots of cheers and supports.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  It’s a really good laugh and a rewarding experience to give something back.
<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> 

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; color: #000000; font-size: small;">After the feedstation we’ve hot tailed it back to the run course/finish cheer everyone on.

This year we’ll all be staying on Monday for an afternoon drinking session / post race party and the pirate awards.

Edited: 08/05/2012 at 15:17
08/05/2012 at 22:29

You provide your own camping equipment but I've got a spare tinsy tiny one-man tent if you want to borrow it. Its kept me dry in a couple of downpours but I've upgraded to a bigger tent now. And I've never helped at a feed station either. I was about to give it to a charity shop tomorrow but will hang on to it for now just in case.

ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
08/05/2012 at 22:43
Ok on the tent debate, I need to purchase... Missus wants me to speak with experienced pirates in the regard

Options

1) 2 man pop up from decathlon, looks pretty nice but it's pretty squarish and not very expensive all things considered

2) vango 2 man, tunnel shape, has sleeping area and storage/living area

3) 2 man backpacking tent, very low profile - no living area and no chance of doing anything other than lying down

Only option 2 would have space for bike in tent but hardly secure, guessing if bike isn't in transition, bike is better in car or better in tent?!? Views appreciated as to what more experienced campers think. I'd prefer to buy right the first time

Also thinking of taking no more than small stove, chair, i.e bare minimum
08/05/2012 at 23:01

gastank - I started with a  2man tent but there is only really room for one and lying down only (see above). I use it twice then thought sod this, and bought a 4-man tunnel tent - fact this one  except if you shop around you should be able to get it cheaper. I paid £99 and its been well worth it. I take stove, chair, double douvet, fold up mattress, calor heater, camping light. I didn't take a light first time I camped and now know its essential!

08/05/2012 at 23:04

In light of recent events camping wise Soup, be careful of the heater inside the tent! A sleeping bag and duvet would be better!  And don't forget a pillow!  

08/05/2012 at 23:10

I don't use the heater in the inner bit and only with the doors fully open in the living space for a short time in the evening, don't worry Siggy. And no I won't forget a pillow. At the Vit last year I took 2 double duvets and was warm as toast but getting it all the car was a challenge. All part of the fun.  

Dustboy    pirate
08/05/2012 at 23:30

Somewhere I have a Mistral Outbound 4 dome tent. Used a half dozen times. Big enough to sleep 4 or 2 and some luggage. Folds down to small toolbag size. If interested, I'll dig it out and make sure it's OK. Token price to secure, say a score?

Or if rich, I have a 1991 Buccaneer Caravel 4 berth caravan likely to be sold. Around £750.00 Still weatherproof, no delamination, serviced, operational. If you want to know what it looks like, it's the same as the one in the Inbetweeners episode. Including the "I really fancy a curry" upholstery. We've holidayed in it the last 5 years.

Lee the Pea    pirate
08/05/2012 at 23:34

I upgraded from a one-man hellish thing to a four man tent - just for me!!!  I can get my double blow up matress in with room round the edges, and can fit all my other crap in the separate living space.  I decided this 'roughing it' malarkey is seriously overated 

Dustboy    pirate
08/05/2012 at 23:36

I WAS going to rough it, but my bike insisted on a hotel, I just had to agree. 

Bouncing Barlist    pirate
09/05/2012 at 08:30

In my experience the Vango or a tent with a small living area is preferred.  Lightweight is all well and good if youre backpacking but if youve got the car then go for comfort.

Having a small living area helps if its wet as you can change/dry off without getting your sleeping area wet, its also good for storing stuff.  Coolbox, tri gear etc. 

I wouldnt leave my bike in my tent without there being people around, leave it locked in car but even thats not 100%.  If its outside of car make sure you lock it on with a seperate lock as not all bike carrier lock mechanisms are robust.

09/05/2012 at 09:21

<can't believe Dusty has outed himself as a caravan owner!!  >  Explains a lot!    <shakes head>  

Rafiki    pirate
09/05/2012 at 14:10

Gastank I've got the Vango two man - its fine for a weekend away and as Barlo points out, you can store crap (and beers) in the 'living' area. And you can keep yourself well away from these cravan owners!

Although, the amount of trouble you've got yourself in recently, I would have thought there'll be enough Thornton's boxes knocking around for you to sleep under!!

ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
09/05/2012 at 23:04
Sold a Vango it is, god knows I need the chocolate storage !?!

Thanks chaps appreciated - has anyone booked a campsite yet, do we need to? are all the fun pirates, sorry cheap skate pirates going to try and get a spot together?

Dear Schmunkee can we have a camping list please?
Lee the Pea    pirate
09/05/2012 at 23:17
Gastank if you google the nottingham watersports centre place, i think there is a link to the campsite on there. You can contact them to book, even though they say you don't need to, randomly. I think an area of the campsite will be set aside for us, most likely to protect everyone else

Don't mistype and put in waterboarding, or you'll be on the first flight out to Guantanamo....On the plus side you wouldn't need to worry about the tent..
Rafiki    pirate
10/05/2012 at 08:01
Lee the Pea wrote (see)
Don't mistype and put in waterboarding, or you'll be on the first flight out to Guantanamo....On the plus side you wouldn't need to worry about the tent..

or about Schmunkee and M..eldy

10/05/2012 at 08:04
As I have said before, camping was free for volunteers last year and it was just a case of turn up on the day. I am waiting for confirmation from OSB as to whether that is the case this year,

Also, last year those that arrived early grabbed a big enough patch for all of us. I guess that will happen again this year.

Gastank ~ why don't you arrange the camping gig as recompense for fecking up my list
10/05/2012 at 08:05
Trying to sneak one in there when I wasn't looking, we're you Raf?
Slagiatt    pirate
10/05/2012 at 09:17

Gastank.. i tried booking camping a week or so back and was told by the campsite that no need to book (only for the plots with power and they had all looooong gone) .. and that competitors can just rock up on the day  ( well day or two before) and it would be fine.

Plan B is i guess the pay and display

181 to 200 of 930 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.