The 2013 Pirate Kit Order Thread

The one-stop shop for all your racing kit needs

21 to 40 of 194 messages
kittenkat    pirate
19/01/2013 at 09:36
Rafiki wrote (see)

Disingenuous I think you meant

I did! Damn that one time you don't use the spell checker. Makes my post quite amusingly ironic though.

19/01/2013 at 09:37
You know what Schmunks, if I were you I'd get this thread deleted and start again. On the first page you've got KK not being particularly pleasant and that is far worse than a bit of 'hi, where are you racing?'

KK - give it a rest, you're like a broken record.

One thing I know for sure, is that this isn't what the pirates are about, not for me, anyway.
19/01/2013 at 09:43
I did think that last night Mouse, but wasn't sure that I would not get accused of censorship.
Mr StOat    pirate
19/01/2013 at 09:45
Does this mean I need to put all my shiny kit away until after outlaw? What about the cycling jacket? Can I only wear it after Alpe D'Huez?
19/01/2013 at 09:48
No, it's means anyone can wear kit and enjoy being part of the Pirates

For me, FF's post sums up perfectly what my intentions are when I ask newbies about why they are interested in wearing the kit
kittenkat    pirate
19/01/2013 at 16:20
M..o.use wrote (see)
You know what Schmunks, if I were you I'd get this thread deleted and start again. On the first page you've got KK not being particularly pleasant and that is far worse than a bit of 'hi, where are you racing?'

KK - give it a rest, you're like a broken record.

One thing I know for sure, is that this isn't what the pirates are about, not for me, anyway.

What? I wasn't unpleasant in the slightest, just expressing an opinion. It is just that, an opinion. Some people need to read this in the objective rather than trying to find a hidden 'something' which I can assure you doesn't exist.

kittenkat    pirate
19/01/2013 at 16:25

And I say stuff because other people other people have asked me to.

And then it gets railroaded by the same small group.

I haven't said the kit thing isn't great, I'm just saying that some newbies have felt it an intimidating environment, just in the context of feeling 'interviewed'.

If the worry is that people will order and it causes hassle when they don't follow through, why not ask people to pay upfront with Paypal, then you have the money and if there isn't enough to make the order viable, you refund.

Money where mouth is strategy.

Jeez... Serious business this Internet huh. I have my tin foil hat ready.

kittenkat    pirate
19/01/2013 at 16:32
Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)
I did think that last night Mouse, but wasn't sure that I would not get accused of censorship.

Yes actually, it's a public forum and it's in the interests of everyone that views are expressed surely?

If you can't have an opinion that doesn't suit a certain demographic, and that's deleted because of it, I think RW will find even more regulars leaving than have already departed.

Mr StOat    pirate
19/01/2013 at 16:32
I'd feel more intimidated being told I wasn't allowed kit before doing an IM.
kittenkat    pirate
19/01/2013 at 16:36

And Mouse, I'm not a Pirate, I haven't done an IM in the last 2 years! I shall creosote over my logo forthwith.

(I put a smiley face because I'm actually amused, and not in a nasty (or passive aggressive way)

kittenkat    pirate
19/01/2013 at 16:38
7755matt wrote (see)
I'd feel more intimidated being told I wasn't allowed kit before doing an IM.

I'd feel more intimidated if you were naked, have some kit!

19/01/2013 at 16:39

As a newbie I wouldn't feel intimidated by someone asking me a few questions on my goals, what races I plan to do etc. It just shows to me that the "club" are interested in what I am doing and could offer support at certain races they knew I was doing.

I think having to "earn" the kit would put more people off as Im sure, like myself, people would like to wear the kit at the big events to get even more support and show people you are a priate etc.

Just my thoughts

19/01/2013 at 16:54

I am also a newbie I have done Marathons before but no triathlons or Ironmans as yet. I have entered for a half Ironman in June and the big Woody in August.

I am happy to talk about what I am planning to do. I need all the support I can get 

I would like to order some kit not sure whats best to get?

kittenkat    pirate
19/01/2013 at 17:01

Yeah it's fine being asked, just being asked gently...

Is my point. Not in your face, I am the gatekeeper type ask...

Edited: 19/01/2013 at 17:02
19/01/2013 at 17:06

KK - the problem is you have expressed this opinion a couple of times before and it has been covered previously by Barlos and more recently by FlatFooted.  When you continue to raise the same objections time and time again (and not just in relation to the kit ordering process) I guess people wonder about your motives. With hindsight, perhaps it would have been more beneficial to the understanding of others if you encouraged these people to speak up for themselves and then we would know the extent of the disatisfaction of my approach as it is currently coming across that you personally have a problem with this.

Everyone - At the end of the day, I will continue to deal with the kit order my way.  From what I can see, apart from KK speaking on behalf of unknown others, no-one has come out and out and said they don't like my approach.  Indeed, on this thread and the previous one, people who have ordered kit understood my reasons.

Hopefully now that the subject has been discussed (for the third time), KK will go back to the dissenters and point them in the direction of Barlos' and FlatFooted's posts and that should then become clear to all that there is no 'grilling' and no need to earn the right to wear kit.

kittenkat    pirate
19/01/2013 at 17:08

No of course they haven't, they've just left.

kittenkat    pirate
19/01/2013 at 17:10

But please enlighten me as to my motives, because you assume a lot.

kittenkat    pirate
19/01/2013 at 17:13

And I'm case sensitive, this being the serious Interwebz and all. I'm going to sit here with my tin hat and a years supply of tinned spam (see what I did there folks?) until we SORT THIS OUT.

(Ignore the fact that I'm going to have a bath and get ready for the party tonight in the meantime)

I DO NOT WANT TO MISS STUFF THAT'S IMPORTANT!

I had to smile, it's amusing.

Hope    pirate
19/01/2013 at 17:48

Kk I presume these newbies are grown-ups? In which case perhaps they can express their opinions themselves? I find it odd that newbies would approach you about PSOF stuff. 

I would guess new Pirates find this tiresome old conversation more off putting than answering a few questions. Everyone else it appears is fine with it. So that sort of "sorts it out" doesn't it?!

WebRep   Overall rating     This site has no rating (not enough votes)    
Hope    pirate
19/01/2013 at 17:50

Ohh what's the rating thing?? 

Anyway I was going to say that the thread shouldn't get hyjacked and let's get back to  ordering kit 

21 to 40 of 194 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.