The Big Woody

Does it count as an iron distance race?

21 to 40 of 50 messages
kittenkat    pirate
20/11/2012 at 19:16

Oh how the IM marketing team are rubbing their hands and pocketing the money.

20/11/2012 at 22:37

As someone who has not done an IM distance race, but would like to.  Personally, I would want my first IM race to be an acurate distance course.  I believe Outlaw is acurately measured, so would be happy with that one. But if BW is short, it would not interest me in the slightest, I would feel cheated.  For me,it`s not the branding, but the validity of the distance.  

IronCat5    pirate
20/11/2012 at 22:50
Dreaming Of Magic wrote (see)

As someone who has not done an IM distance race, but would like to.  Personally, I would want my first IM race to be an acurate distance course.  I believe Outlaw is acurately measured, so would be happy with that one. But if BW is short, it would not interest me in the slightest, I would feel cheated.  For me,it`s not the branding, but the validity of the distance.  

Apologies...I'm going to be a pedant .

Accurately measured - to what level? a 22.6 mile run could still be accurately measured at 22.60 miles, or 22.600 miles. IMUK is well known to be short on the run. I'm sure it's still an accurate distance though.

It's all bolleaux as a 'properly' measured course (racing line) will likely not be raced as such, so you'll always add distance on, more so on the swim if you don't watch for the bouys...

21/11/2012 at 06:55
It's interesting that only people who haven't raced long are worried about half a mile !

Shut up & put up
MTri    pirate
21/11/2012 at 07:16
I popped my IM cherry in Bolton, but my first HIM race was The Little Woody the year before. I went through the same thought process. Should TBW be my first long race, it's cheap and it's local. But for me, I didn't want to finish, and it but be s branded IM event, just in case it was a let down, and also having to forever explain the differences. I also did IMW in 2011, and it is an awesome event, and hopefully I'll be back in 2013, something of a buzz on Tenby that I haven't got elsewhere.
seren nos    pirate
21/11/2012 at 08:04

none of the IM races are that accurate they all have variances.....to suit the location.......

flyaway    pirate
21/11/2012 at 08:48

To back up both Cat5 and seren, not all of the IM-branded races are exactly (or even near-as-damnit) 2.4-112-26.4 but "accurate" doesn't mean "not short". Some races are over-distance, Germany certainly had a 5k longer bike one year. The France bike loop is not 112 miles, but no-one complains by the time they've dragged themselves over the hills!

Wales had a short run this year (by a couple of miles), and some people were wondering if the swim was short too. But as Mouse says, the IronMan Corporation say you have within 10%, which is how France has a bike leg of 106miles and runs can "legally" be as "short" as 24 - I would cite Roth as an example, but I fear the wrath of one who was led to believe as such.

21/11/2012 at 11:56
IM branded or not is all bollox Cdr John Collins (the originator) didnt set out to start a brand it was all about rocking up on the day and cracking the distance
21/11/2012 at 12:00
Give or take a few miles when you get to this distance it dont matter a fig it all hurts and takes some doing to train, get fit, stay uninjured and crack the course
Cheerful Dave    pirate
21/11/2012 at 12:07
M..o.use wrote (see)

Pingu - yes, we discussed it at length with Cheerful Dave afterwards. 

I do prattle on after races, don't I?

21/11/2012 at 12:08

Cheerful Dave - maybe a teensy bit but you did provide chips so all is forgiven. 

I did Germany the year it had the 185km bike leg.

Humph.

Edited: 21/11/2012 at 12:08
21/11/2012 at 12:13
Mouse thats value for money that is
Like a bonus
21/11/2012 at 12:45
So it would seem that even the "official" events all vary. I'll stop worrying about it all now then and get something booked to pop my IM cherry!
21/11/2012 at 12:46
Official ? Nothing unofficial about The Outlaw, you mean not branded
21/11/2012 at 12:55
Yep meant branded, sorry. So now just got to decide between IMWales or Henley.
seren nos    pirate
21/11/2012 at 12:56

wales is where the cool kids will be................

cougie    pirate
21/11/2012 at 13:37
M..o.use wrote (see)

I did Germany the year it had the 185km bike leg.

Humph.

AND no wetsuits !

21/11/2012 at 15:14
Rocco. wrote (see)
So it would seem that even the "official" events all vary. I'll stop worrying about it all now then and get something booked to pop my IM cherry!

Absolutely, and just make sure you are comfortable with your decision. 

For what it's worth, TBW is a sod of a bike course.

21/11/2012 at 15:20
Rocco Wales was orsum!!
25/07/2013 at 13:05

Well I am in the group whose never done one,  but I have entered the IronMan 70.3 next year.  The main reason for doing this one was that I wanted to do an IronMan branded event.

Although of course, the 70.3 is just for those who aren't good enough to do the 140.6, a camp I definitely fall into

21 to 40 of 50 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.