The nitty gritty of Ironman distance

On the day and as part of training...

21 to 36 of 36 messages
12/08/2011 at 16:29
I never heard of a banana on the front line either....
Aitch!    pirate
17/08/2011 at 12:24
I tried, but I just could not bring myself to wee on the bike! Stopped at a portaloo instead.

FYI on the bike at Regensburg a couple of weeks ago I managed 17 gels, 1 and a half bananas, 3 bottle of high 5 and 3 bottles of water. The gels got a bit blergh towards the end, but it meant I was well fuelled for the run! Works better for me than anything resembling proper food!
17/08/2011 at 12:57
Iron Rose wrote (see)
I have revamped my PSOF guide to IM training/racing so will crack on with that and hope to have something by October ish time, still waaaaaaay before you need to worry about feed stations tho

Would like to see a copy of that in prep for the Outlaw. Is it something that goes on the website?
Golden Boots    pirate
17/08/2011 at 13:45
What's the situation with nudity at IM races? At Wales I was planning on slipping cycling shorts on and then run shorts - so I guess I would be swimming in jammers.... am I ok to whip the little man out in transition (both T1 & T2) or am I likely to get disqualified or put on some kind of sex offenders list?
Aitch!    pirate
17/08/2011 at 13:53
At Regensburg it was strictly NO nudity in transition (DQable offence), but they gave you a bag and you could put kit in there and go and change in the change tent. I sawm in an old pair of tri shorts, changed in T! (in the tent) into cycling shorts then changed in the tent in T2 (although this was VERY open so I was practically half naked and on view) into run shorts. I am guessing as Wales is IM brand, the rules will be similar.
17/08/2011 at 14:02
It does matter what gels taste like because if your stomach won't tolerate them you'll throw them up, along with everything else in your stomach and that's a quick route to dehydration.  I took gels in a bottle at IM and found very quickly that they tasted too sweet so I couldn't use them (yes, I'd tried them in training and they were fine).  So I improvised and started taking an energy bar and half a banana at each aid station, along with energy drink and water.  I was absolutely fine, which demonstrates that having problems with nutrition doesn't have to mean the end of your race and plan B can be as simple as "try whatever you can get until you find something that you can eat".
17/08/2011 at 14:34
"At Regensburg it was strictly NO nudity in transition (DQable offence)"

I think that's the German Tri Federation enforcing that - it's also a BTF rule in the UK but some IM aren't that bothered. IM tend to work to local country rules for each race

At Switzerland, there aren't changing tents and you have your kit next to the bike, so change there - you'll see nudity all over. (Unless IMCH have changed since 2005 and 2009 when I was there last)

Pebble will tell a story of a young lady getting changed in T1 in front of him at IMCH 2005 - he couldn't sit on the bike comfortably for a while....
Edited: 17/08/2011 at 14:35
Aitch!    pirate
17/08/2011 at 15:13
Teehee! They didn't seem that bothered when I pitched up in T2 and they had completely open tents and I had to whip off my shorts to change! I thought it would be a bit more covered up, like in T1!
Golden Boots    pirate
17/08/2011 at 15:35

well in that case then.... I've always been told not to try anything new in a race

*whips his shorts down poolside and pretends it's normal*

17/08/2011 at 15:37
Hi JEvaNs,
At this years Outlaw there were two feed stations on the bike course that had toilets and the run course was liberally sprinkled with them. I know, I visited most of them...
seren nos yn canu    pirate
17/08/2011 at 15:57
not sure who is incharge of ironman wales but welsh tri are usually very anti nudity in all the other races in wales...they will disqualify men for not wearing a top as nipples are not allowed to be on show.........so if they won't allow a male nipple then I'm not sure if they will be happy with his meat and vegb on full display
M.r Zuvai    pirate
17/08/2011 at 16:04

^here hoping that if they DQ at the sight of nipple then maybe they'll DQ the pratt in an all white tri suit

there always one - at every race

17/08/2011 at 16:32
"they will disqualify men for not wearing a top as nipples are not allowed to be on show........."

and that is an ITU rule enforceable by all member federations - to an extent now that kit for elites and for country age group representation is not allowed to have a front zip. all elite/national kit now must have the zip at the rear to prevent any bare chests - and also as an aside to show sponsor logos at their best. strange that eh??

I had to tell a guy racing at the w/e to put his top on or risk DQ if he didn't
17/08/2011 at 16:58

The first Big Woody, Me and Holgs were getting changed in the Tent at T1, Chatting away whilst trying not to notice that :-

a) One side of the tent was clear plastic window

b) The rather cute blonde sat on the floor between us was stark naked......

cougie    pirate
17/08/2011 at 17:48
IMRE told everyone at the race brief that nudity was a DQ. And STILL someone was doing it in T1. He probably got DQd for that. Nobber.
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
18/08/2011 at 06:34
In Germany it's only IM races that have the "no nudity" rule - others don't give a damn.
Edited: 18/08/2011 at 06:36

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 36 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.