The Outlaw on TV

101 to 111 of 111 messages
mellifera    pirate
15/08/2012 at 15:16

I'm surprised how much everyone else knows about what was filmed  

It was certainly an editorial decision not one forced by the way the race played out.

They filmed Layla (in the lead) on the bike as well as the women in 2nd and third place (as you see short sections of). They filmed Layla twice round the lake on her first and second laps; they were filiming her as I overtook her on our third lap and filmed me all the way round the lake (that's where the sections of me pointing at the bike was from) and then all the way round the lake on my last lap. And they interviewed me for several minutes at the end.

I think the focus on Harry W is to be expected since he was the only pro in the race really. But let's not pretend it was an accident of footage. I thought he came over pretty well. I'm not surprised he forgot his number out of T2 since he actually gave interview then and I think it would have been a bit unfair to have penalised him for that.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
15/08/2012 at 15:32

I thought Harry W came across very well too, even if he does look like Stifler.  I can't think of many race leaders who'd be happy to give an interview in T2.

mellifera    pirate
15/08/2012 at 15:39

I wondered what his T2 split was - only 2:33 - not bad for a full change of clothes and simultaneous chat.

Edited: 15/08/2012 at 15:39
cougie    pirate
15/08/2012 at 17:52

Oh ffs - how did he manage that !? Mine was 4 mins and all I had to do was put shoes on.

AND I had elastic laces. 

Running Postie    pirate
15/08/2012 at 19:15

I spoke to Layla last night and she is not a happy bunny, considering she had to put up with the film crew for such a long time.

Dustboy    pirate
16/08/2012 at 09:55

Watched it last night. Melli's excellent piece of TV directing whilst racing, LOL.

My bike featured twice. I was still in the water.

Harry came across really well.

I had been playing bike tag with the last finisher for a while (the asian guy). Pleased he made it.

Golden Boots    pirate
16/08/2012 at 10:03
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

I remember getting soaked on the bike. Alot.

So did I... but for different reasons

mellifera wrote (see)

I'm surprised how much everyone else knows about what was filmed  

It was certainly an editorial decision not one forced by the way the race played out.

They filmed Layla (in the lead) on the bike as well as the women in 2nd and third place (as you see short sections of). They filmed Layla twice round the lake on her first and second laps; they were filiming her as I overtook her on our third lap and filmed me all the way round the lake (that's where the sections of me pointing at the bike was from) and then all the way round the lake on my last lap. And they interviewed me for several minutes at the end.

I think the focus on Harry W is to be expected since he was the only pro in the race really. But let's not pretend it was an accident of footage. I thought he came over pretty well. I'm not surprised he forgot his number out of T2 since he actually gave interview then and I think it would have been a bit unfair to have penalised him for that.

I caught the lead lady on the bike and when I did she had a bike filming her. Was riding with her for about 15 minutes probably, there were a few back and forths, but couldnt get away... the camera bike made it extremely difficult to pass her and was extremely irritating!! In the end (after pulling a few faces into the camera) - I 'let' her go

But from my POV she definitely had good coverage

Still haven't watched this yet actually. Will watch it tonight

16/08/2012 at 16:50

I was interviewed for about a minute or two prior to the race in transition, they showed a 3 second sound-bite. I was the one wearing a Union Jack buff saying something about a “big race feel and great atmosphere”. They edited out the bit about over-priced branded events for some reason! 

It was fairly poor coverage and a bit too much emphasis was put on the relay teams, although they seem to have missed the fact that Eimear Mullen (IMUK and IMUK70.3 winner) rode the bike leg for another relay team. They did show the runner in that team crossing the line though, which was nice because I’m married to her. 

M...eldy    pirate
16/08/2012 at 19:02

Nice one Slacko

I think my bike featured heavily in the lingering shots over the lake  

Running Postie    pirate
16/08/2012 at 20:56
Slacko wrote (see)

I was interviewed for about a minute or two prior to the race in transition, they showed a 3 second sound-bite. I was the one wearing a Union Jack buff saying something about a “big race feel and great atmosphere”. They edited out the bit about over-priced branded events for some reason! 

It was fairly poor coverage and a bit too much emphasis was put on the relay teams, although they seem to have missed the fact that Eimear Mullen (IMUK and IMUK70.3 winner) rode the bike leg for another relay team. They did show the runner in that team crossing the line though, which was nice because I’m married to her. 

I lent my bike pump to Eimear Mullen (I didn't know it at the time, but I do now after watching IMUK coverage), she was having a bit of a mare in transition by all accounts!

17/08/2012 at 09:09
Running Postie wrote (see)
Slacko wrote (see)

I lent my bike pump to Eimear Mullen (I didn't know it at the time, but I do now after watching IMUK coverage), she was having a bit of a mare in transition by all accounts!

Yeah, typically for a pro triathlete she knows nothing about bikes.

She used a new back wheel but the gears weren't indexed. I was just about to take a look at it when the resident bike mechanic showed up. He must have done the trick as she flew around the bike course! 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
101 to 111 of 111 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.