TrainerRoad.com Users

Do you use it?

13 messages
09/10/2012 at 10:56

I used my trainerroad setup for the first time this AM. My setup is my Rockhopper Mountain Bike on a Satori TACX turbo trainer set to resistance level 7, a Garmin GSC10, Garmin HRM, and a Moviestick USB ANT+ receiver stuck in to my Macbook Air. Everything works perfectly right away. Apart from me

I did the 20 minute test and it told me to lower my FTP to 165 Grrr. Really need to get stronger but I am focussing primarily on running right now. 

What plans are you using on there? How are you finding it? I was thinking of starting with 2 sessions from the Intermediate Build Phase I mid week and then a club ride on weekends if I can manage it or the third session from the plan if I can't.

Here is my weak 20 min test: http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/86157

09/10/2012 at 16:37

Nate from TrainerRoad here.  This poped up on my Google Alerts.  If anyone has any questions I'll be glad to answer them.

09/10/2012 at 16:44

ok Nate, what is trainerroad ?

09/10/2012 at 16:55

never mind

a quick google and i now have a different question

09/10/2012 at 17:20

Haha hi Nate

For the others - if you have a turbo trainer (that TrainerRoad have measured) and speed/cadence sensor like the GSC 10 for example all you need to buy is a cheap USB ANT+ stick for your computer and you can run trainerroad. 

I use it for the first time today as per my post. It's bloomin' fantastic Seems they are super keen to provide support too!

09/10/2012 at 17:21

Nate - I do have one question. I was looking on your website and I could not see where I order stronger legs and bigger lungs. Can you send me a link please?

Thanks.

IronCat5    pirate
09/10/2012 at 18:24
I love it. And the support I've had is great too. FTP is a number generated on a day under certain conditions. It's also your number, no-one elses. You may find a bigger fan gives a higher figure, or the road bike gives a bigger figure.

What do you want to train for? At the moment I'm doing an FTP and SS per week with a weekend club ride. Once XC season starts I'll ramp the running for a spring HM and drop one of the turbo sessions. After the HM I'll probably return to 2 turbos a week again.

Pacing the 20min effort can be fun can't it!
Rafiki    pirate
09/10/2012 at 18:31
SgtLard wrote (see)

what is trainerroad ?

You mean its not that big, grey, straight, thing outside my front door that I ride my bike on for training???

Cat - if I get one of these things can I still sit on your wheel and draft for miles while you work really really hard??

IronCat5    pirate
09/10/2012 at 18:41
Only if you get the coffee and cake in again!
09/10/2012 at 19:25
I did the 20m test today and got pacing pretty much spot on based on the fact I did not fade and felt like puking during the cool down Love it!
09/10/2012 at 20:08
I really like it, for a geek like me it makes the time go a bit easier and makes me dig a bit deeper towards the end of an interval.

But now I know after tonight's test that I have lost 13% of my FTP since my pre IMWales taper peak.
meface    pirate
09/10/2012 at 21:37

Nate,

I have a tacx flow (upgraded to iflow/imagic thingy) and a garmin 310XT (so have a ant+ thingy). So where does TrainerRoad get its data from?

Would I be working off psuedo power from the Tacx or HR or both.

M..eface

09/10/2012 at 23:22
Trainer road will pick up the signal from both your heart rate monitor and a speed/cadence sensor at the same time if you have one. It gets the signal via the usb stick. The GSC 10 can be had for about ??25 off amazon. I got that and use the heart rate monitor that came with my forerunner watch.

You can train just off heart rate but I read that the virtual power measurement that trainer road can generate by taking in to account your particular turbo model, the resistance you have it set to and your speed/cadence data is a much better way to train.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
13 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.