Training and bike gear upgrade

What do do and what to get

15 messages
26/05/2013 at 10:20

Morning guys,

up to 10 days ago I was training 6 days a week, got to a reasonable 16mph average bike speed and could swim 400 meters in about 9 minutes. I then had a break of five days due to long trip to France (in van). On Tuesday morning went out for a run but a sharp quad pain prevented me from going to Long. Scared but the prospect of injury the next day a clocked 4.5 mile run (easy) and on Friday almost back to normal (10k run in about 50 min). 

I am about to do a brick session + a swim later. Is it going to be too much? Will I have lost my fitness (I had a week in Paris last weeks during those three runs due to work thus didn't eat as healthy as usual).

I would like to upgrade my gears to a two front rings system with the gears change coming out the aero bars and just have the breaks on the handle bars:ncan anyone suggest what to go for please? I have a against defy 4 with aluminium frame. 

Many thanks in advance for your help

Plinsky

26/05/2013 at 11:50

Have you got clip on tri bars?    That's as far as it's worth going with a road bike - a full    integrated tri bar set up will make it far less useable for training and if your average is only 16mph you have a lot of scope for big training gains.

26/05/2013 at 12:41

Popsider, thank you. That's really helpful. I will spend my money on getting the bike fully serviced instead (I don't have time). Anyone knows a reputable bike shop in clevedon / Bristol? Is halfords a waste of money?

Many thanks

plinsky

TheEngineer    pirate
26/05/2013 at 13:40

Halfrauds wouldn't know a bike if it ran over them. I'm not from Brizzle but I know BikeScience have a shop there. 

26/05/2013 at 14:01

Thanks The Engineer... I shall look into it.

26/05/2013 at 21:40

Popsider: is it worth me upgrading my gears? I have three front rings and thinking of getting a two front ring system?

Thank you

meface    pirate
26/05/2013 at 21:46

Three rings give you lots of gears. Changing them will give you fewer and save a fraction of weight. Maybe consider when you are averaging 18+

until then you may find you need the little ring on steep stuff. 

26/05/2013 at 21:49

m..eface, thank you. I shall save my money again and just get the bike serviced.

thank you 

cougie    pirate
26/05/2013 at 21:55
No - it is an expensive way to lose a little bit of weight. You'd not notice any difference apart from you may struggle on hills on a double.
The triple gives you lower gears.
26/05/2013 at 22:02

Thanks cougie, I understand. I just need to they the bike serviced 

Blisters    pirate
26/05/2013 at 22:04

I'm only a little bit quicker. The sages above all speak very wise words, and these folks are truly wise owls. Keep the bike as a stock item, maybe buy clip on tri bars, but certainly get two things sorted:

- a regular bike service.

- lots more cycling. Keep building up your long distance session. The further you go, and the more you trash your legs, the better they respond.

26/05/2013 at 22:07

Thanks Blisters, I shall do that

cougie    pirate
26/05/2013 at 22:11
Learn to service the bike yourself. It's very easy. You'll save money and there's less chance you'll be stuck at the side of the road if something goes wrong.
26/05/2013 at 22:20

Cougie: I can do a little (brakes and that's it actually) but I am not sure what else I would need to check and how... I would love to learn thou...

meface    pirate
26/05/2013 at 22:29

Evans do free courses if there is one near you. 

Brakes and gears are good things to learn. Something like a bottom bracket can wait. Learning to true a wheel is useful, building one from scratch is less so. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
15 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.