Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

281 to 300 of 15,499 messages
05/02/2011 at 23:31

I wore shorts and a shock absorber vest with a proper high impact built-in sports bra under my wetsuit for London, didn't add a tee, and it was fine, except the top was a little low-cut for my preference.

If I could find a slightly more modest cut of top, that's what I'd do again - I'm pretty well-endowed and do need a proper sports bra for the run section.

06/02/2011 at 12:23
I'd afraid I can't comment on the trisuit/wetsuit issues as I am yet to get involved in that area of equipment. I did come across somewhere online that rents wetsuits out for a season for what seemed like a very reasonable price, and at the end of the season you can buy them apparently. I think that is what I will do. In my reading on the subject though, I think there is supposed to be a layer of water around you in the wetsuit - though I suppose if there is more that just a layer maybe it isn't so good.

I was planning on getting a tri suit for a pool based tri, but I think all the ones I am going to do (or I have planned to do) at the moment are outside (trying to ignore this since I said I would NEVER swim in open water...) so I will have to go for a wetsuit... though actually I will need a tri suit underneath, won't I? Yersinia - did you have tri shorts on under your wetsuit too? Or just regular shorts?

On the breathing side of things for swimming.... I managed to teach myself bilateral breathing and breath every three strokes now. Though sometimes I do 2-3. Or 2-2-3. Or maybe 3-4 to try and slow things down. The fewer breaths I take the smoother I am. When I breath on my left (I think) I lift my head out, or twist too far or something. When I had lessons last year I was taught to just move my head to breath rather than twist my body to get my head out of the water. I try to do it so that I can see half in and half out of the water. It's odd to see, but it helps me keep my head down.

I'm trying hard not to get too wedded to a particular breathing routine because in open water it may be up to the choppiness of the water as to how often I get to breath and on which side!!!!

Also - learn to cough under water if you can't already. I've found that a useful skill regardless of tri training!
06/02/2011 at 12:50
Sorry Ladies I can't comment on boobie things lol

Which park runs are people signed up for? Mines Brunstone Leicester.

Swimming I've just started but have gone for learning to breath out of both sides from the start although more comfortable from the left.

Looking forward to swimming tonight also have day of tomorrow so kid free in morning so a nice brick session for me 20k bike 5k run
06/02/2011 at 12:52

I had lycra running shorts - may not be ideal but they worked ok for me. I don't need padded shorts for a 20km ride - if it was longer, maybe it'd be different.

I think I'd need to be fitter than I currently am to breathe less often over a long distance.  Another thing that needs a bit of practise is sighting. Shouldn't be such an issue in a pool tri, hopefully.

06/02/2011 at 14:18

Thanks for the swim advice folks - i'll be giving it a whirl later.

Ran yesterday afternoon in pouring rain - not too bad once I was out in it. 5k in 25mins. I think I wanted to get home!

Watch out for blue Vauxhalls! Nearly run over on a zebra crossing after 4k - I wasn't even running either! I was more than half way across the crossing, walking, and he drove right past in front of me - I jumped back out of the way, but I was close enough to put my hands on the side of the car. Too close for comfort! Needless to say he never even noticed me or stopped. I even had my red flashing LED belt on!Might publish his number plate if I'm in the mood!

06/02/2011 at 16:33
Got my parkrun time, finally. 34:07 - well it gives me something to work on, I suppose, and next week is my run focus week.
Razor51    pirate
06/02/2011 at 16:44

Hi Gang.....................How is everyone doing, Well done on your park runs.

ST.....................My parkrun is Heaton Park Prestwitch, Manchester.

Gav.......... Close shave mate, glad you got home in one piece and in a decent time.

This morning went out on the bike and rode 32 miles averaging 14mph which I was chuffed with considering it seemed to be a head wind whichever direction I turned.

Seem to have got rid of my head cold (there's half gallon snot trail on my bike route)(they say you can see it from space)

Hope you all had a good weekend.

06/02/2011 at 16:59

Gingergav - not nice. Really pleased to hear you are okay.

Been out this afternoon for a bike ride. Had planned 10miles of hils. But the wind was unbelievable. Pleased the roads weren't busy cos I got blown around quite a bit. In the end i changed my route after 5 miles to flater ground. Feel a bit of a wuss. But had yet another rough night courtsey of a self-starting story CD at 2.34am and Smidge at 5.40am. 

Have a good week everyone. Enjoy your morning ST.

Chilibean

06/02/2011 at 17:02
Oh dear! Razor you are talking about 32 miles and I struggle with 10
Razor51    pirate
06/02/2011 at 17:09
Chilli...................10miles is 10miles, well done I can feel every mile on my @rse
Edited: 06/02/2011 at 17:11
06/02/2011 at 17:57

Well done, windy cyclists!

I've been hiding indoors with a hangover - a definite "gremlin boogie" in my innards!  Will be back on it Tuesday with my regular run!

06/02/2011 at 19:20
Ok Swim update, I've gone from 1 length then stop to 2 lengths then stop last week and tonight............ Did 10 x 2 lengths then rest then tried 4 lengths but only managed 31/2 so did couple more 2 lengths then went for it 4 lengths cause I'm a bit competitive I decided that 4 wasn't good enough so pushed out 6 lengths I know it's not much but two weeks ago could only do 1 length so I'm well chuffed did 32 lengths altogether and my arms feel like there going to drop off. Bring on my brick session tomorrow morning

Sorry Gingergav self inflicted so doesn't count as illness lol

Good time Chilli for 5k and well done with 10mile windy cycle

Razor nice one 31 miles is superb I've only had bike since Christmas and not gone that far yet myself (still herts my @rse doing 25k ) will up my miles when weather better

Two more weeks swimming and hopefully start doing more lengths and I'm gonna book my first Tri, it's local called East leak it will probably be full of Loughborough students cause it's very close to Uni.
Razor51    pirate
06/02/2011 at 19:27

ST...................Well done on the swimming front, big improvement from last week, it will get easier and better as the weeks go by

By the way I worked hard on the bike today and you've nicked a mile off me (32miles)

06/02/2011 at 19:43
Razor don't be greedy

Sorry well done on 32 MILES you little Devil lol
06/02/2011 at 21:01

ST - Great Swimming!

Am panicking even more tonight cos i've just had through the race instructions for the duathlon next month. The runs are forest trails and I haven't done any since the autumn! I do love trail running and have a fantastic route not far from home. But I run best in the evening and obviously can't do it in the dark. Am going to have to find some daylight running time this month and get up there to practice.

07/02/2011 at 07:49
Chilli don't worry to much about the trail runs even though they are different to road running, miles in your legs are still good whether from road or trail. If you do manage to free up some daytime then great but don't get stressed over it what is your distance race? Plus when is it?
07/02/2011 at 14:43

My LSR yesterday was great, I went out on an undulating route last mile downhill, did 5 miles in just over the hour, I did the same distance and time but a different route last week, but yesterday managed to run almost all of it, I did walk a little bit up a short sharp hill. The legs and body still remember what to do, slow and steady, feeling great.
I even got a scare as a faster runner overtook me I was so in my own little world she made me jump, but think its good as was concentrating on how my body was doing and thinking of nothing important.

07/02/2011 at 17:18
Well done SteadyCJ

I did my brick session this morning, boy it was tough in the wind. I was nearly blown off my bike 5 times very scary still it's all done now will do a steady 5k run tomorrow. I'm still aching from my swim lol so planning on swimming at some point in the week at local pool
07/02/2011 at 17:49
I must dust off my turbo trainer this week - I keep just going running or swimming. Mustn't forget the bike! Due to run with the Tri Club tomorrow night so might do it as a brick and have 30mins on the turbo first. Wish me luck!
07/02/2011 at 21:06

Hello,

Can i join please? Im new to triathlon too - joined a Tri club end of last year.

Im a swimmer by trade, and have done a couple of half marathons (very slow half marathons!!). At the moment im running once a week with the club (abt 5mile interval set) and swimming twice a week (3000m per session). Im not a very good runner (abt 10min miles) but am improving, However, its the bike that im completely new too - ive got a mountain bike but a road bike is sooo different!! lol!

Im borrowing my friends road bike at the moment but really need to get a training routine in order so im doing all three in one week - i can make excuses not to train for Britain but once im in a routine i can stick to it.

Think my first tri is going to be Cardiff Try-a-Tri in May.....scared!!!!

281 to 300 of 15,499 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.