Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

321 to 340 of 15,601 messages
09/02/2011 at 13:35
Vicki - I am a bit fairweather too and am always watching the weather to plan my day when I cycle to work. I supplement outdoor riding with intervals at the gym or spin classes. It's worth venturing out on a grey day as the ride will brighten up your day!

Yersinia - that's a good idea to look at times like that. Is the bike section hilly? Really impressive run times.

Got myself out for a run but think my enthusiasm on the bike yesterday is evident! Legs felt really heavy and i was going to cut it short but figured I need to practice running on tired legs so did 5.5 miles. Not quite the 8 miles I would have liked but I am planning on running to the gym and back on Saturday so there are more miles to come!!
09/02/2011 at 13:53
right i'm doing terribly.. have had a bit of a stressful rubbish week here to training has not gone well.. but.. i did get out at lucnhtiem today and did 4.7 miles running.. so happy with that.. will do a bit of turbo tonight and then will be back on track!
09/02/2011 at 14:45

I think we all have sessions that seem ridiculously hard work for what we achieve, sometimes, and weeks where nothing goes to plan.

I'm a bit confused about the bike times, actually. They seem ever so slow compared to the run and swim times.

It's a 9-lap course in a park that has a few rises, but I wouldn't have thought there were killer hills, and being lapped, you'd expect to make it up on the downhill bits. Maybe the turns are very tight.

I should maybe go and try to cycle the route, but I'm not actually sure whether cycling is permitted on normal days. I could probably at least walk it to get an idea about the terrain.

09/02/2011 at 14:53

1500m solo swim last night, very long, and very slow! I dont seem to be getting faster, but i am less and less tired after each swim...so i'll take any progress i can!!

Not sure of anyones location, but my tri club hosts a super sprint (400m pool swim, 20k bike and 5 run) in May. It is in st albans. I am using this as my season opener   its a good start off and ease in to racing time i think!

09/02/2011 at 16:03
All sounds good, nice to hear others struggling (in a good way of course) makes you feel your not the only one having problems. I must admit it's easier to motivate yourself may to September I'm just waiting for wife to get home to take over from kids then I'm out going for quick 5 k off road hilly run. O here she is bye
09/02/2011 at 16:58
Done 5k off road hill run night with kids wife going swan lake with eldest girl day off tomorrow though swim planned after I do all my jobs lol
09/02/2011 at 17:06

Felt tired on way home from work(nearly fell asleep on train) but decided that I just had to get changed and get out straight away for a scheduled 30min easy run, which I did mainly off road as it was light enough. Legs felt tired but feel better for having done it. Tomorrow is looking like it will become a rest day as so much to do.

Glad to hear everyone is training well.

09/02/2011 at 17:34

Bit far for me, Steve - i'm up near Blackpool. Sounds like a great season opener though!

I am so impressed by all the training that's going on - getting out at lunch times - blimey! Well done you!

Really enjoyed my brick session last night - sorry for assuming Vicki - I think this is going to by my way to go - planning a swim/run after work on Friday next . Found the run really easy last night as I was warmed up after being on the Turbo - spot on!.

If you're looking for a turbo, check ebay, but I did that when I was looking and couldn't find any that weren't worn or that I was sure of, so I got mine from Chain Reaction Cycles for £129 brand new - Christmas present! You could try freecycle too if there is one set up in your area - check online. There are some really cheap (ish) new Turbo's out there for about £75 but the reviews i've read are iffy to say the least. My Tacx 1800 was strongly recommended and it's great - really solidly built, and folds out of the way. Look out also for Minoura, GIST, Blackburn or Cycleops. Minoura have a D60 model highly recommended for £120.

09/02/2011 at 17:34

Good going ST, CJ and GG.

Will be going out for circuit training in about an hour. Trying to decide whether I've had enough to eat to survive it. My evening meal will be late, but I'll almost certainly have a wee snack when I come in from the class.

Maybe I'll have a Shredded Wheat or something before I go, too.

Edited: 09/02/2011 at 17:35
09/02/2011 at 18:31
Bootsie, don't worry about it, you have some great fitness under your belt and that won't be lost from an odd week.

I'm noticing a lot of double session days on here and starting to feel rather pathetic with my regime! Might start to add an extra run or two in next month. Though with Swimathon planned I need more time in the pool really.

Hm. This triathlon malarky is complicated!

Oh, Steve... I've been advised to increase my swim distance by doing shorter sets and resting. So rather than just swimming 64 lengths, swim five x 16 lengths with rests in between. The resting means you can go further and your body starts to get used to the increased distances. reduce the rest time and soon you end up doing it all in one go.
But being an instructor, you know all this already
09/02/2011 at 22:40
Thanks for the swim tip jevans! If it's fitness, I know it, if is swim related...I am clueless!! I'll give that set a try
10/02/2011 at 08:32
Just tried it myself with sets of 200m and a minute rest inbetween. Feeling fresh, but it was quite a short session.
10/02/2011 at 08:56

Does anyone else here sruggle with counting laps? I kind of drift off to LaLaLand, but I have a lap counter I have to press at the end of each lap, and when I look, I've always done more than I thought.

So I kind of figured that since it's that way round, it's not a problem, but I just had a panicky thought about losing count and doing too many in the race itself.

10/02/2011 at 12:02
les!!!! i have a lap counter but need to replace the battery.. always loose track!
10/02/2011 at 12:06
Come on Girls it's simple I've not lost count once yet not even on my long swim of 6 Lengths
10/02/2011 at 12:10

I got a swimmate watch that doesn't even require a button to be pressed at the end of each lap - I love it!!! I forgot to look at it at one point this morning though and ended up doing 2 enxtra lengths in one of my sets. Fabulous gadget though (gives you loads more than just the number of lengths), and at £50 is far more reasonable that some of the fancy GPS watches you can buy for running. Mine doesn't link to the computer though and I think there is a new model coming out which does. And naturally that is more expensive.

However, my experience in pool-based triathlon (granted, I have only done the same one twice) is that there is someone asigned to your lane to count for you and sticks a sign in the pool when you have 2 lengths to go. I have to say, the first time I did it I thought they had made me swim 2 too many, but my swim time suggests otherwise

Edited: 10/02/2011 at 12:11
10/02/2011 at 12:21
Ok I've found a nice Tri for the Welsh on this forum, or anyone who fancies it. Scenery looks nice

www.thebrutal.co.uk/race_info.html

Have a look see what you think
10/02/2011 at 13:14

We could have a thread outing to watch it, with a nice picnic hamper and a few bottles of Pimms?

Winterswim this week is 60 laps. Just as well I have a lap counter. Mine is a sportcount finger-mounted thingy. I can't really justify the expense of a poolmate until it breaks down. Maybe by the time it does, the computer-linky one will have come down in price.

10/02/2011 at 14:27
Yersinia it would need to be a big Picnic lol looks like a fun race though, could enter a team? you could swim me bike Gav run? the other team could be Chilli JEvaNs and Bootsie? Sorted lol
10/02/2011 at 15:13
Sounds like a plan - I'll have plenty of time to get stuck into the Pimms and cheer the rest of the team on after my little swimble.
321 to 340 of 15,601 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.