Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

341 to 360 of 15,886 messages
10/02/2011 at 16:49
You in Gingergav can you manage a trot round and up snowdon?
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
10/02/2011 at 17:40
I too have a sportcount ring, it's a very helpful tool. Not so bad counting laps in our local 50m pool but sometimes I have to do my IM training in a 25m pool - I'd never manage to keep count of 120 laps!
10/02/2011 at 18:30
Sounds interesting - have walked a lot round there in past so know Snowdon quite well. I might not be the most reliable person though this year - i'm moving to Dubai in August and have got tons to organise! I've already entered 4 events too! Eeeek! It's nice to be asked though!! Thanks!
10/02/2011 at 18:49
Yeah right. I don't know why I even looked at the link, since it has the word 'brutal' in it. 200 miles between three people over 2 days requires over 30 miles each per day. I much prefer Yersinia's suggestion of Pimm's by the lake!!

Silly ST!!

Hey UI! I keep meaning to message you, but haven't had chance yet. Though maybe these guys would be interested in your very knowledgeable biking advice... (I hi-jacked a swim thread with some bike talk - oops). You mentioned in the recommended bike training to find a medium hill that takes 10 minutes to get up. There is a stretch of 2-3 miles that doesn't look like a hill, but is definitely not flat and adds an extra minute or two onto my mile time on my route home (though it is the last 2-3 miles so maybe I am just shattered by this point!). Do you think that sounds like a suitable stretch to Time Trial myself on? Being in South Wales there are lots of lumps and bumps around but they are mostly short and sharp (or long and severe!) in nature.
10/02/2011 at 19:03
Yes JEvaNs BRUTAL!! Does give it away lol

Gingergav it's in September so guess it would be a big ask

Yersina you could do swim and run? then your Pimms would taste nicer lol
10/02/2011 at 19:07

Run? I don't run. I bimble slowly over 5km.

My Pimms will taste perfectly delightful without such unseemliness.

10/02/2011 at 20:01
Ooooh, a thread picnic sounds great . Brutal could be fun . Since it is in September i might be able to make it...

...I am slowly typing this one handed cos I'm injured

smilies/crying_smiley.gif

. Was trying to change the car headlight bulb when the bonnet came down on my arm. Was extremely painful and brought tears to my eyes. I was wearing a leather jacket which i think protected me from being gashed by the lock. in fact despite the pain there was only a bright red mark.

So I went to work for the moring and then zoomed to the woods for a trail run before having to pick up Smidge. 5 mins into the run my arm was throbing and i realised that i was going to have to cut it short. 2 mins later my fingers were going numb and the pain wasn't copable anymore. Then i realised my arm had swollen so badly i couldn't pull up my sleeve.

Struggled to drive home. But hubby was working from home so we went to pick up Smidge and headed for the cottage hospital. The nurse thinks I might have chipped the bone.  Running caused a damaged blood vessel to pop hence the swelling. So i have to go to the fracture clinic tomorrow and get it checked out.

smilies/sad_smiley.gif

My first question was "when can i train again?" Her reply, "Wait until tomorrow and see what they say. After all you're not planing to do a marathon are you?" Me, "No but I have a duathlon in a few weeks and two tri's booked." She looked quite taken aback at that.

So trying to be positive and am willing to go down on my knees and beg not to have a cast if doc says it's broken. But after last week's cold I was so thrilled to be getting back on track. Feeling a bit bummed.

10/02/2011 at 20:03

where did my smiley faces go?

10/02/2011 at 20:18

Oh dear Chilli, that sounds horrible. Your smiley faces must have gone on strike in sympathy.

Haha at the nurse though!

10/02/2011 at 20:42
Oh Chili - big huge hug for you (stick your arm out to the side to avoid any painful contact!!!). I really hope it's ok and doesn't mess up duathlon plans. Oh poor you. Do the experts think not running would have avoided this? I suppose it would have happened at some point though, regardless to how close (time wise) to the bash it was. Oh Chili. I'm agog and my eyes are nearly watering with sympathy pain too! I'm sure it can't be broken as you would surely be in agony and couldn't have even contemplated a run if it were. Oh dearie me. Fingers crossed for you.

Big old boo-yaa to the nurse though. Ha! How rude of her not to think people are fit and healthy with ambition and targets!!!

Off to finish a job application. I get made redundant in 7 weeks time and have been applying for jobs left ,right and centre but it's a bad time to be on the lookout. I'm hoping in the longer term (at some point over next 6-12 months) I can start a PhD and am in the process of applying for that, but in the mean time I need to have an income from April 1st. In danger of getting rather down about it and got a bit emotional about it today (husband bought me flowers to help ), but know there are plenty worse off as my mother always says so trying to keep chin up. I've always got my training to keep me occupied - I could be at the gym all day every day if I didn't have work to go to, so maybe it isn't so bad....
10/02/2011 at 21:31
Chilibean - take car of your arm, I'm getting over my break now, struggling to get it mobilising through full range of movements. Use the standard treatment, Ice, Elevate and Rest. Hope all goes well at Fracture Clinic.
11/02/2011 at 08:46

morning everyone.. right time to get a bit of focus back.. last month has been a disaster really with things at home.. were trying to do a bit of house hunting but stress and money has made us decide to put it on the back burner until later in the summer .. so time to get a bit of focus back on my triathlon training!! plan of a\cction!!

Brighton half marathon -20th Feb.. last long run done last week.. so bit of tapering this week coming with lots of cross training.. 

Ballycotton 10 - 6th march.. will keep the long runs up for that and do alot of speed work...

5km swim - 9th april so need to get up my endurance swimming

Tri training to commence following a schedule on 21st Feb!! nede to find the perfect training plan cause I am good if I have something to follow!!! 

Race dates 

15th may - east grinstead sprint tri

12th June  - windsor oly tri

25th Sept - Hever oly tri! 

anyone around my area that would like to meet up for bike rides on a weekend then please shout.. I need to get working on the bike part as it is my weakest discipline and I dont like it too much so need to learn to love that bike!!! I'm in the tn8 area 

1500m in the pool last night.. will go for a plod tonight and then a longer swim tomorrow morning.. then I am taking a night off and going away with OH for a night to a nice hotel! 

sorry bout the rant but I need to get a bit of structure back! 

11/02/2011 at 09:11

I suspect you're a lot fitter than me, Boots, but I do like cycling in the Weald and Downs, so maybe a weekend ride would be possible, once day length improves?

Also, just googled your Hever Tri, and like the look of it. Hmmm.

11/02/2011 at 09:58
Thanks Yersinia!!
11/02/2011 at 11:43

As a swimmer i thought i would offer little tips for those who struggle counting 

One key thing is to do sets dont just swim up and down coz that is boring, hard to keep count and you wont work as hard. Do sets such as 16x25m, 8x50m, 4x100m, 2x200 & 1x400m.

Its much easier counting in meters then lengths. Also for 200m + swims, i break it down in my head into 4 sections, so in a 200m i'll think 100m down, work hard for the next 50, and steady for the final 50m etc, etc.

Breaking up the session and having pre-written sets are a much better way of keeping track of your meterage and keeping the concentration levels up.

I'd be happy to send people some sets if they are lacking inspiration.

Oh, and one final tip - DONT THINK! thinking or getting distracted is a sure fire way of losing count, again thats why i find shorter sets good as you dont have time to get bored and start thinking of other things.

11/02/2011 at 11:58

Vicki - interesting on the thought processes of a swim pro! I tend to count each length and every stroke in my head is going "One... one... one.. one... one.. one..." !!! Even though a watch counts for me, I don't check it often so need to keep tabs a little bit. I think I'm going to go with sets of 200m and 300m for a while since 16 lengths is a lot in my head. I'll perhaps do 400m sets next month. I find on a pyramid section it's easier since I only have to count up to 5 or 6 tops...!

Boots - good plan! I have a 10 mile race I might do on 20th Feb just to make sure I cover the distance more than anything else. I am on the reserve list for Windsor too, but I reckon I'll give that one a miss if they do have a spare place since I already have an Oly lined up for May. I'll perhaps do the distance in training that day though as my HIM will be four weeks away.... ERK!

Might look into the September event you mentioned too. Whilst there are some road running races I quite fancy after July, the rest of the year is a bit of a void at the moment. Would be good to keep up the momentum to the end of the tri season...

11/02/2011 at 12:33

Pyramids - are great too, i havent done those in ages! We used to do 1-8 lengths on freestyle then 8-1 on kick or another stroke...think im going to do that set when i am next in the pool!

Had a questions/after some advice from people - i'd like to get a computer thing for the bike, not a fancy one but something that just tells me the speed. Looking for something fairly inexpensive - any recommendations?

11/02/2011 at 13:01
VickiSMT I have a running watch which I also use on my bike, just keep on my wrist. Seems to work ok for me.
11/02/2011 at 13:02
My swim is cancelled today I have an head cold now and really cheesed off after being I'll for most of Dec and Jan

Chilli keep us updated hope it's nothing to serious xx
Edited: 11/02/2011 at 13:04
11/02/2011 at 13:25

Vicki - in general, I might split it into sets, but I need to do 1500m in one go for this installment of winterswim. Also in the tri itself, it'll have to be in one go, obviously.

So I will end up relying on my lap counter for the winterswim, no doubt. I meant to have a go today, but had a bit of an irritating swim, where a class was over-running, so the scheduled lanes weren't available when I got there, grrr. And then I realised that I really needed to have had some elevenses before swimming, as I was feeling weak and hungry, so probably just as well I'd binned the 1500m.

The last installment of Winterswim will just be 400m, so I might try to tag a more structured session onto that, and then make more detailed swimming plans for phase two of the triathlon preparation.

Hope your headcold b*ggers off soon, ST.

341 to 360 of 15,886 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.