Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

21 to 40 of 15,816 messages
05/01/2011 at 22:42
this may be another dim question but do we qualify as piratey people if completing Duathalon, or does it have to be Triathalon? i have a beautiful piratey t-shirt i had as a prezzy , not feeling 100% qualified to wear it yet!
06/01/2011 at 07:53

I would have thought if you feel like a pirate then you can wear the T shirt with pride.

I did my first duathlon last year and talked to some friendly tri competitors who imformed me that it is harder than a tri. I know it felt hard work and since then did a novices tri which did seem easier, something to do with the run being first and last and the swim is non weight bearing.

06/01/2011 at 20:07

Well, I didn't do the bike/run combination. I poured with rain and was really dark all day and I'm a wuss and decided cleaning my kitchen floor was more fun.

Did run 5miles this evening though when rain had stopped. 

Have decided to enter the the Upton Oly on 9th July The downstream river swim sounds great.

SteadyCJ - I'm impressed at your committment. 45 mins on a static bike would drive me nuts with boredom. Really hope your arm heals quickly.

As you've gathered the bike is my weakest part. I'm going away for the weekend but next week I plan my training plan is in place. Shall be riding 3 times a week and building up to the distance. One of those will be preceded or followed by a run. And shall build from there. Does that sound reasonable? I have 8 weeks until the race. And it's only run 5k, bike 21k, run 5k.

Are legs always wobbly? Or does that ease off when you are fit enough?

okay, here is one of my stupid questions - Am I right in thinking cycling shorts/tights have abit of padding in them?  Is it still easy to run in these? I can't imagine needing padding for 21k but I'm sure it would be nice for longer distances. I need some new tights for training so I was thinking of going for cycling ones this time.

Loulabel - I haven't got a priate t-shirt yet, but my family have said they will all wear them to cheer me on at my tri in the summer if I decide to join the PSOF.

Chilibean

P.S. pudding tonight was apple crumble with a wholemeal topping - i usually only add cinnamon but today i went for a festive flavour and also put in a little ground cloves and nutmeg.

Edited: 06/01/2011 at 20:08
06/01/2011 at 22:18

Sorry to disappoint you but did not get on bike as leg was a bit too sore, thought i would give it a day of rest will try tomorrow as it is easing off. will post to let you know.

I only go on the bike if the radio is on, it is psitioned to face a window so i can watch birds coming down to a feeder, that helps keep me going.

06/01/2011 at 22:21

To answer the question on shorts, tri shorts have a smaller padding, which makes the run more comfortable. I couldnot run in my bike shorts, although have done bike/run in running shorts and suffered from lackof padding.

Kanga M    pirate
06/01/2011 at 22:36
loulabell wrote (see)
Kanga! you speak words of wisdom- childbirth is a true test of strength,stamina AND PAIN THRESHOLD-shall i call you a wimp now or wait until i see you at IM?LOL

Can only take your word for it. I'm a wimp from way back. Quite happy not to do all that hard work myself and leave that to the missus, although she did cheat and have both ceasers. Mind you, the little bloke was 11 weeks early
07/01/2011 at 12:02

Managed the 45 mins on bike, but got a bit bored as it was raining outside and only one pidgeon and a squirrel came to the feeder.

The mention of apple crumble has got me planning meals for the weekend, i'll get OH to make one, plenty of cooked apple in our freezer.

10/01/2011 at 16:33

Today was day one of week one base phase on my training schedule for a sprint tri in the summer. This is the plan I had carefully found and altered slightly to fit in my coached swim session and pilates class before my fall.

Result did one hour easy bike ride - weather dry so some birds to watch on the feeder (magpie, robin, great tit and blue tit) and listened to Bruce Springsteen CD for music.

Chilibean -  I get the wobbles going from bike to run, sometimes just getting off bike is enough to set it off, though it does not last too long.

10/01/2011 at 19:16

Evening SteadyCJ

So I do need to get tri-shorts. Thanks

Birds sound pretty. We get a fat pigeon that headbuts the feeder to make all the seeds drop out onto the ground so he can eat them!

Back from my weekend away in Belfast. Had a lovely time with my big girl and hubby and the other three seem to have survived on a diet of MacDonalds and pizza

Did a lunchtime bike ride. Short but lots of hills which I really need to train on. Had hoped to do 5 mile run before dinner but since no school homework was done over the weekend it all had today and then I ran out of time.

Oh, well. Tomorrow is a swim day. And will try to squeeze and run in before Brownies.

Chilibean

12/01/2011 at 13:49
hiya can i join in here... just signed up to east grinstead tri and am doing windsor oly too.. good running training over dec but not alot of swim/bike due to weather and colds etc..
12/01/2011 at 16:08

Hi bootsie

I may see you at East Grinstead.

I managed to get to the gym today, what an adventure. I would usually drive( journey 5-10 mins) but as arm still in cast, had to use bus. This entailed 10 min walk to bus stop. Bus eventually turned up, then halfway to town, stopped and we all had to get off and onto the bus behind. Apparently 1st bus was so late it had to turn round to keep to the schedule. Get off bus in town to walk to Leisure centre. Left home at 9:30 got back 1pm.

Anyway I digress slightly, I did 30 mins on treadmill comprising of 2 min jog at 7.5 km/h and 1min walk, then did 20 mins on bike. Boy, did it feel good moving at faster than a walk. It may not have been quick but its a start.

12/01/2011 at 16:16
well done steady... thats great progress.. i foudn it hard training for a tri last year with broken arm.. just stick wtih it.  You'll be very proud on the finish line
12/01/2011 at 19:47

Hi Bootsie - Great to have you join us.

Hey SteadyCJ - Sounds good.

Managed 40 lengths yesterday, first proper swim since before Christmas. It's a bit hard to swim lengths on family play swims. Then I squeezed in a 5k in the evening.

This evening I did my 'difficult' 5 miles which is 2.5 miles uphill and 2.5 miles downhill. Truthfully I'm kind of used to it now so it's not so hard. But it's a not circular run and I'm avoiding changing my route to encompass a really killer of a hill.

Tomorrow I' hope to do a long (for me) bike ride. I'm then hoping to do a short brick session on Friday of a short bike ride immediately followed by a short run. Do I need to do this more than once a week at present?

Have bought some tri shorts on ebay, so I'm looking forward to them arriving. It's my birthday in a couple of weeks, so am making a list of all the other little things I need like a water bottle carrier.

Ummm, as a wannabe pirate I am right in thinking chocolate is an essential part of my tri training isn't it? Am really craving a Dairy Milk

13/01/2011 at 08:48
did 30 mins on the turbo last night, just trying to get back on track with the whole cycling thing.  going for a run at lunchtime today
13/01/2011 at 17:34
Chilibean - no excuses needed for chocolate. I lost over a stone in weight and still had chocolate most days. Mind you it has to be dark chocolate for me.. was told that the dark stuff is better for you and I prefer the taste.
13/01/2011 at 22:44

I quite like Bournville too , but not such a fan of the bitter dark chocolate.

Bootsie, i have a question about the turbo - can you vary the resistance or something like that? Or is it just one pace. And I've seen some that look like rollers, how do you get the bike to stay on it?

I am ashamed of how short my 'long' bike ride was today. Well, I guess that means I can only improve! Such a lovely mild day though. My Smidge even agreed to walk both ways on the school run this afternoon if we fed the ducks.

And my tri-suit has arrived! It's an Orca, fire engine red and beautiful, but it did raise my hubby's eyebrows when i put it on. It does look awfully tight. I guess it is supposed to, but I think I shall have to throw a t-shirt on over the top for the bike and run. 

14/01/2011 at 09:21

chillbean.. yup you can vary the resistence.. i was very confused when i started on it.. you can guess i'm incredibly new to this.  There are 5 different settings on mine that you can only change by getting off or getting someone to help you, however your gears work as normal on these settings so you still have the full 18 gears to go through as well so its a good workout just very boring!!

SteadyCJ where are you based? if you are near east grinstead might be fun to meet up for some training? 

1km done in the pool this morning using paddles for the first time (only for 6 lengths mind!) really enjoyed it.. made me lengthen my stroke and not start to pull back too soon  

14/01/2011 at 09:22
oh and I still have to have chocolate.. but for me its green and blacks white choc!!!
14/01/2011 at 16:00

Bootsie -  I am near J9 M25.

Have resisted the chocolate so far today, but will probably have a few squares of Sainsburys Belgium Dark after dinner tonight. I can give up alcohol no problem but not the chocolate.

Did 30 mins on dreadmill, still a mix of walk and run but much more run than walk. Then did just 10 mins on bike, I still do not enjoy being indoors exercising unless the weather is being vile. 

Looking forward to going swimming once the cast is off; do you think hospital in morning, cast off and xray, if all well, then swim after lunch is just a tad too keen? 

14/01/2011 at 18:53
ah cool not too far from me then! i'm junction 6
21 to 40 of 15,816 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.