Rafiki    pirate
20/05/2012 at 08:41

Well, if you're intersted times yesterday:

400m swim - 11.10

T1 - 1:55

22.1km bike - 36:24

T2 - 1:21

5km run 21:38

I was 86th coming out of the water (out of a wave of 90!!) but had the 12th fastest bike time, the 24th fastest run to finish in 35th in my wave and 213th overall (out of 800 starters). Not bad but room for improvement

Ok off to the pool!

20/05/2012 at 09:22

Rafiki - really well done!

Alex -  not here that weekend  

Another day of beach vb for me

20/05/2012 at 10:24

rafi - well done!

alex - thanks. Might just cobble something together myself that includes the swimming and biking though. I don't think I am structured enough to follow something to the letter. Not sure it is a good idea for me to run 6 days a week either, likely to get injured. One of the drawbacks of being old and creaky I think. I think I will slightly amend the Hal Higdon intermediate plan, so that Saturdays will be bike not run, for example.

20/05/2012 at 13:38

signed up for Rutland Water

someone else on here is doing it but can't remember who!!

Edited: 20/05/2012 at 13:39
20/05/2012 at 14:38

Well done Rafiki! Sounds a great race and some great times Congratulations

ST - Ah see, we knew you could do it if you tried Well done on the bike ride

20/05/2012 at 14:48
Went out on bike come home in car nothing major just did a really stupid thing. My bike comp was playing up so stupidly while still moving I decided to put my hand down to my wheel to move my sensor slightly. Not a great idea as I put my finger to far and caught it in the wheel spokes. One very smashed up finger I won't do that again its sliced through top of finger and think its broken the top of my finger to,it looks a right mess. Throbbing like mad just hope it feels better later OUCH!!!!!!!!

That will teach me not to mess with my training plan

MC think it's JEvaNs that's signed up for Rutland Marafun I'm still not sure yet.
20/05/2012 at 15:12

oh ST, hope the finger is ok? is it bad enough to go to A&E? if it is likely to need stitches you need to get there within a few hours otherwise the risk of infection is too great for them to stitch I think. Hope you aren't a piano player

Razor51    pirate
20/05/2012 at 15:32
ST.... You'll do anything to get out of training ...;-). So what is it now, 6 days rest and 1 days recovery (I' ll bet you stuck your finger in there on purpose)...
Edited: 20/05/2012 at 15:36
20/05/2012 at 16:17

rafiki - great job on popping your tri cherry & on your times - not too shabby for a newbie

ST - ouch, ouch & ouch! Have you been to doctor about it just in case?

alex - I hope that you were feeling okt oday & that the race went well!

Not much to report from me - waiting for my copy of fink to arrive *taps fingers impatiently* (yes I know I can't do anything with it yet, but you lot have got me thinking about either Lanza or outlaw next year so figure I can at least start reading what I might be getting myself in for!!).  Just got my bike back; definitely need some new bar tape & new pedals & possible a new shifter but from what I can see the frame looks to be ok but am taking it into the shop tomorrow to be checked to be safe; would hate to start riding again & have something break on it & end up injuring myself again

Had another physio session at the end of the week & movement is coming back well but the strength side of things is going to take a lot longer (if I lift my arm up or use a pulley it will move a good amount but just trying to move it on its own is pretty pathetic ). But have been into the gym & sat on the upright bike to get the legs & lungs working again too. Lung capacity seems to be fine now which is a relief, and while my chest got a bit sore towards the end, given I couldn't even breathe deeply without pain when I came out of hospital, comparatively it's all good!

Razor51    pirate
20/05/2012 at 16:32

Shaz...Take it 1 day at a time and like you said to me patience is the key....

Raf....well done mate on losing your cherry...

20/05/2012 at 16:42
Cheers guys not been a and e cause didn't want to waste my day. If still bad tomorrow will pop doctors might need nail off by the looks of it to realise pressure. I cleaned it up with antiseptic wipe and now watching the new skin form lol
Cortina5    pirate
20/05/2012 at 18:07

Shas - at least you can tap all your fingers

ST - I would call you a muppet, but yesterday I was adjusting the gear tension thing whilst riding and got my finger pinged by a spoke. Lesson learnt.

ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
20/05/2012 at 22:30

bleedin' hell boys.... adjusting machinery while moving, didn't do woodshop then? or i think "resistant materials" as it's called nowadays...

I took Adriana for her first spin today, well I really enjoyed it, woke up late so didn't have time for more - what a difference riding a race bike

runkeeper

Duration 1:26:12 - Calories Burned 857- Average Pace 4:34 / mi - Average Speed 13.13 mph - Elevation Climb 913 ft

Not great stats I realise,I think my max speed was around 25mph

21/05/2012 at 08:40

Sounds good to me gastank!

ST - you muppet! Typical man though, I'd been to A&E like a flash. Hope it heals ok.

Alex - how did your race go?

MC - good on you doing Rutland!

Sorry if I missed anyone. Day on the beach for me yesterday again. Put sun cream on but forgot the tops of my feet and they were bit red and burnt last night.

Rafiki    pirate
21/05/2012 at 08:53

Gastank - you managed to ride without getting caught out with the clips then? How's the prep going fro Edinburgh then? Tappering nicely I hope?

ST - what can I say????

And thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement re my race!!

21/05/2012 at 10:08

gastank - good going on the bike - that is about the speed that I have been doing. You will get quicker over time (so I keep telling myself).

21/05/2012 at 10:15

You're all so much faster than I on the bike. Please tell me you all have road bikes so I can feel bit better???

Talking about bikes, any ideas how good Pinnacle bikes are? They're doing these new carbon frame ones and one is on sale at Evans for £999.

21/05/2012 at 12:35

Hi All,

I had quite a good weekend training wise.  Friday evening i went swimming for 1/2 hour while jnr had his lesson.  Just used the time to work on my technique and to practice holding out for 7 or 5 strokes before breathing as the pool was really busy and not divided into full lanes for public swim (due to all the lessons). 

Saturday,  took my bike for a well deserved service, but on Sunday i managed 18 miles on my winter bike which i was really pleased with.  Then i followed this up in the afternoon with a further 1/2 hour swim as jnr had another lesson.  This time though i had a lane to myself so pushed it as hard as i could manage. 

Shattered today !

ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
21/05/2012 at 12:37
Mikasa thx

Raf - tapering... Wouldn't I need to be running to taper well I dont think I've run in a week now, so bricking it! Well get a couple of shorter runs in this week and a couple of swims and that's it
Rafiki    pirate
21/05/2012 at 12:40

Mikasa

I had a quick look at that bike. I'm no expert, but the frame looks to be the best part - which means it will be great for you now (assuming it fits you ok) but if you want to get more serious in the future, you will be able to upgrade the other bits - the gears and wheels mainly - which is a sensibel approach!

But make sure you get Evans to get one in for you and get on of their staff to make sure it fits you ok.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.