Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

5,161 to 5,180 of 15,593 messages
23/05/2012 at 11:19

Great race report Alex! And well done.

MC - I'm the same, I like to know where I'm going.If I don't, I leave way too early.

MovingAlong    pirate
23/05/2012 at 12:22

Thanks all - will spend lunchtime looking at more wetsuits

23/05/2012 at 12:43

there is a tram at 7, then one at 7:48. I know the 7 o'clock one is probably really early, but I am thinking maybe better to get there ridiculously early than have trouble parking and being in a rush/panic/not be able to get to the loo etc!

the tip about debenhams is good (I am thinking the shopping centre might not be open at that time on a Sunday). I am guessing it will be easy to find debenhams?

looks like it is going to be really hot! I am not good in the heat...

23/05/2012 at 15:49

Hi everyone. 

I've been really busy with work recently, but have managed to do some training despite being kneed in the head by a horse and having an interview for a new job. I've also borrowed my mum's road bike and feel like I'm flying. I have to give it back after this weekend, so I think that upgrading from the hybrid is definitely going to be my next tri purchase.

Aberfeldy sprint on Sunday, my first race this year. I'm very nervous, because every finisher from last year did the run in less than my 5k PB! But my swim and bike should be acceptable. Still, someone has to come last...

Good luck to everyone else racing at the weekend.

23/05/2012 at 16:08

Blunders - thats sounds like the sort of thing that happens to me, turboing in the winter should be fun and lead to plenty of inner tube change practice.

Great race report Alex H.

Mathschick good luck for your race, better to be early than late is my way of thinking.

I did another OW session this morning and met up with 2 more ladies who are training  for the Outlaw, but were only just doing their first OW of the year. I did 3 loops of 400m in 34 mins, but realise I need to get some swim socks so I don't freeze on Sunday as my feet got so cold and numb and then the dreaded cramp feeling started but luckily it went away as quick.

Running in this warmth is going to be a challenge might have to get up at silly o'clock on Friday to run.

Will go out a bit later on the hybrid and recce part of a run for the weekend.

Good luck CatRuth, doesnot matter if you are last, it is the taking part that counts and anyway you could always beat my current PB for 5K.

Edited: 23/05/2012 at 16:09
23/05/2012 at 18:20

cake - thanks. I should manage to find it fine. Not sure which tram I am going to aim for. The 7 does seem really early, but not sure I want to leave it as late as 7:48. I have a couple of days to decide.

my number is 333, and I will be somewhere near the back!

cat - I am sure you will be fine

MovingAlong    pirate
23/05/2012 at 20:43

Cat - best of luck.

Steady - running out there is a nightmare. I'm currently dying on the sofa after spending most of my run blowing out of my rear end. Did 18 mies - but think my legs still had the remains of the weekend in them, and my core hurts from OW swimming this morning for some reason. Add in the heat and probably poor nutrition and BOOM! Still 18 very tough miles in the bank - character building shall we call it!

Might have an unscheduled rest day tomorrow, or failing that a very, very light technical swim as best.

23/05/2012 at 20:50

I was about to post how enjoyable my 7km run was along the canal this evening but MA has shot it out of the water with an 18 miler!

Another bloody day in Coventry tomorrow, I might as well move there. . . . . 

23/05/2012 at 22:00

Wow, listen to us all! Just pause a minute and think back to what you were doing in January. See what a difference?!?!?!

Blunders - well done on the mini brick - and the weight loss.

CatRuth - all the best for this weekend. Can't wait to hear how you get on. And I set my 5k PB on my first sprint Tri! Bet you end up being faster than you think.

23/05/2012 at 22:03

That's still a nice run EcoSeal! And well done on yours too MA!

I didn't go for a run tonight either, another change of plans. Went for a mountain bike ride at Ashton Court instead, so about 6miles there on the roads, about 6miles on the trail and then back. Fell off once and the pedal hit me on the back of my leg,didn't hurt too much but bloody. Good fun though, really enjoyed it. Off tomorrow so definitely time for a run.

MovingAlong    pirate
23/05/2012 at 23:04

Eco - Your run sounds much nicer though. Mine was along main roads during rush hour!

24/05/2012 at 09:05
Hi guys! I was away with work yesterday and at a leaving do in the evening so not able to respond fully as I didn't get in till about 11. So, just a quick one for now and I'll give you all some proper care and attention later!

Thank you all for the tri comments! Much appreciated!!
For those asking, the tri was 750m swim/27k bike/5k run.

Eco-it's not the length that counts!

I've rested this week and trying to get over this cold/sinusy thing...it's just clearing up now. The pain has pretty much gone now. Just some other bits to get over...you know...the stuff that constricts your airways etc.

Mikasa - any bike news? There was a review if road bikes under ??1000 in one of the cycling mags this month. I have it at home and will dig out if you like?

I'll be back this evening once I've read back properly and not on phone!!
24/05/2012 at 12:29

Had a great swim lesson last night.  Really focused on my technique which worked wonders.  We counted number of strokes for each length and i was averaging around 33-35 normally, thanks to some tweaking, was able to get that down to around 28-30   Was so bouyed ('scuse the pun) by this that decided to stay after lesson for extra practice and managed 10 lengths fairly comfortably non-stop.

Today i'm going to go for a run after work.  We have a gym here, so i might use bike first for 15 mins before heading out.  But will wait and see how i feel.  I haven't ran for a while i think i should maybe focus on getting some 'normal' miles under my belt.

What's the consensus on brick sessions ?  as often as possible, or now and again ?

24/05/2012 at 12:51

Currently training for a sprint at the end of June.....  In my last tri i felt like i never quite got the use back in my legs after the bike section so think it is something that i need to improve (if possible).

24/05/2012 at 14:35

So I have a day off and I have all the time in the world to get a run in in the morning when it's foggy/overcast/cool. So what do I decide to do? Go for a run at 1pm when the sun's up and temperature risen to 18 degrees. I was planning to do 5miles but when I got to the turn off,decided I wasn't up to it (first run this week as well) so headed back. I was hoping that it would add up to 4 but no,measly 3.77miles. Bit disappointed but at least I did get out there finally. 

24/05/2012 at 14:45
Well done Mikasa it all counts 3.77 is better than 0
24/05/2012 at 14:46

mikasa - at least you did it

just round it up to 4! I round all mine up!

I do log them all on the pc using the right measurements though

24/05/2012 at 14:55

I just need to start running bit more consistantly and then I can build the mileage up as well. The last mile was hard, sun was bearing overhead and hardly any breeze. I really struggled to carry on but managed it which was a small victory in itself.

Rafiki    pirate
24/05/2012 at 15:13

Mikasa - running in this sort of heat is hard! Well done for going! I was going to for a run at lunch time, but decided against it, tooooooo hot!! - so sat outside in the sun and ate cake instead!!

24/05/2012 at 16:40
Rafikid I like your sort of training at least I only eat cake on my rest days
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.