Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

5,301 to 5,320 of 15,805 messages
30/05/2012 at 21:57
Noooooo. That was my race this year! Oh well, Greensand Marathon here we come.
oii
31/05/2012 at 09:26

strength & conditioning last night, did minimal deltiods work to look after dodgy left shoulder.

was talking to person in gym who basically trains his bits off and has a IM pb of 10h:30m, and spends most holidays climbing mountains and cycling bonkers distances. I asked if they felt like they had to sacrifce stuff and how their close circle of friends found the absence when in hard training.

"just find a good balance"....

hmmmm.

How has everyone else faired? My friends are getting seriously  at the "i am training" or "i have a half marathon" or cant come out as am saving for new "kit".

How has everyone got on, home/work/friends, with people getting a bit peeved at always asking you out/to attend things that you really cant attend?

Rafiki    pirate
31/05/2012 at 09:57

Oii - careful, you'll be starting some of those strange threads that KittenKat's in to before long! But I get your point. I used to spend most weekends in the pub drinkning with a certain group of mates - I rarely do that now, although I still see them. But I think I am happier in myself now. Also I've gotten to know other people within a wider circle of friends who have similar interests. I went out last weekend - 3 of us were marathon runners, 2 triathletes and someone else has entered an IM.

Some friends do moan when I decline invitations, but i think they appreciate that my running etc is important to me. I also think some are jealous - I'm at an age when if you don't start looking after yourself, mother nature can be cruel ! My mates certainly look older than me - and I'm the only one with a six pack!!

Just gotta enjoy it!

Edited: 31/05/2012 at 10:08
Rafiki    pirate
31/05/2012 at 10:12

But in other news, yesterday, 5 mile run before works then weights after work. AC in gym is knackered so decided a quick dip in the pool to cool down. I thought a quick swim would be great - ended up doing 1500m in 32 minutes - my longest, quickest swim ever!!

Last day at work for me - so lots of trainig planned with at least three OW swims  over the weekend  - as its only 2 weeks to my first OD!!

Edited: 31/05/2012 at 10:13
oii
31/05/2012 at 10:24

rafi - bl**dy hell thats awesome swimming!!! well done!!!

i am finding myself making friends with people who do the same as me now, IM nutters and people who cant help but spend their sundays running or racing or recovering  I just dont want to spend Friday night in a night club anymore!!! Maybe they are just jealous!!!

31/05/2012 at 10:32
Update from phone - thank you all for the p*ncture sympathy!
Looks like some good stuff going on!
Oii - it is about balance! Nothing wrong with the odd night out or whatever but if people are friends then they should make allowances too! I've been busy the last few days after work because I've been out training...hence the lack of update on here!! Balancing family life and not fair to sit in front of PC!

Aquathlon later - will be back late or tomorrow!
Rafiki    pirate
31/05/2012 at 10:33

Cheers Oii - and I'm fairly sure I counted the lengths correctly too!! Just need to translate that into OW now!!

And to be honest, I think i'd go mad if I went back to my old ways of partying all the time and spending all weekend in the pub or with a hangover. If I took a weekend off training now I'm not sure what I'd do with my time?? What do normal people do???

31/05/2012 at 10:49

Fab swimming Rafiki!

I don't have much to contribute to the other convo. Never been big one on big nights out or drinking so don't really have friends who do that. My life hasn't changed that much at all, just the sports I do.

oii
31/05/2012 at 10:53

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wiggle-super-series-mendips-sportive-road-epic/#more

have you lot entered this yet! im just about to pay my entry for the 95 mile

MovingAlong    pirate
31/05/2012 at 11:11

Rafi - cracking swimming!

Mikasa - well done on getting out there.

Oii - its a balancing act. Admittedly Outlaw training has taking it to a completely different level and that'd be my only concern about training for an IM again in the future. Wife knows that I've altered my training as best I can to get it out the way early, doing lunch time stuff and making a rest day on the weekend so I spend as much time as possible with her. Certainly seen a lot less of my friends recently - but they all seem to understand. When I decline a night out they always text back saying we'll have to get together once I've decided against being a nutter! After Outlaw am planning on having a bar-b-q or something and inviting people over to make up for neglecting them! In fact July is looking like a month of downtime, and bit of a beer / party central! 

12 mile run yesterday. Was meant to be 10, but felt quite good at the end of it so decided to add a little on. After I turned away from the house didn't feel quite as good!

Rest day today  Sports physio later - I'm expecting a world of pain.

31/05/2012 at 11:17

Not yet oii! Need to decide if it's worth hiring a car for. First train gets you there 9:15am...  But if we come, only doing the 65miler.

MA - nice run! Can't wait till I get to that kind of mileage. A few months off still.

Edited: 31/05/2012 at 11:23
oii
31/05/2012 at 11:35

great advice on here from everyone, thank you! will stop worrying what people think (oversensitive here) and just get on with it. at least i am training hence dissapeering act and not in the pub every night!!!

Mikasa - got your email!!! ta!!! i have been told by a work friend in Keynsham, who is an enduro nutbag, that the route is hilly! My running coach just said he is happy to do the 95 with me, and my local (not so nutbag) enduro friend just said its lumpy and he feels 65 will be enough!

no idea what to do now, will sleep on it tonight, the bonkers side of me wants to totally kick my ars3 and train for a hilly 95 miler and spend the next 10 weeks attached to my bike!

Rafiki    pirate
31/05/2012 at 11:41

Do the 95 miler - go on, you know you want to!! What's the worst than can happen

31/05/2012 at 12:14

mikasa - glad you got out there. I am not much inspiration today though - was too tired to get up early and go out on the bike, which is bad because I haven't been on the bike for a while and have a tri on Sunday - oops. Must do it tomorrow.

Will probably go to the tri club run session tonight though, so not being totally lazy!

95 miler? Gosh I can't imagine cycling that distance.

oii- I haven't got many friends that I go out with - mainly I stay at home as I have OH and kids. As I do most of my training early morning while they are in bed they don't even notice, and don't mind me disappearing for races. The few friends I have got I am starting to separate from really - I met them at ante-natal classes and am really finding that we have nothing in common any more and although I like them I find a night out with them a bit boring. I never want to drink when we go out as I am always needing to get up the next morning - even if I am not training I have to get up and sort the kids out, which is maybe why I find them boring. Mind you, they don't work and have very limited conversations - mainly centred around daytime tv or their kids.

Razor51    pirate
31/05/2012 at 12:43

Hi Guys...... not much to report here, glad to here you are all training hard, all I can do at the moment is core work and upper body weights which I have neglected due to swim/bike/run regime I was on for Outlaw,

MA... I suffer from neck ache on long bike rides, maybe it is being too tense so I will also be doing a lot of neck strengthening exrecices whilst I am laid up to see if it helps.

Mathschick....I have proberbly got more in common with your friends than you have, I am now the OH new pot washer , laundry maid, duster and ironer.... Oh! and I can now have a knowledgable conversation on topics of Jeremy Kyle, Lorraine, good morning, day time soaps and all the other sh!t they put on the box to addle our brains during the day.... 

Raf....Great swimming mate ,(did you have an outboard stuck up your ar$e)...

Mikasa.....well done on making the effort to get out, sometimes you just don't fancy getting out there, but when you do it makes you wonder what all the negativity was all about....

Edited: 31/05/2012 at 12:50
ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
31/05/2012 at 12:51
Razor - LOL!

No traIning, I'm having a day off did about 90 mins OW last night and had a pyscho session, sorry physio terrorist session yesterday

Today - shopping and eating cake
Razor51    pirate
31/05/2012 at 13:03

Gas ......Know what you mean..   Nice swim session mate.

Razor51    pirate
31/05/2012 at 13:03

Cake ...you got mail.

31/05/2012 at 17:15

razor - glad you are useful round the house, bet the OH is loving it! I think you should ditch the tv though! Hard when you can't get out doing your usual exercise though.

Feel so shattered am not doing the tri club run session either. Well, let's just call today a rest day. I have been having trouble with getting really snotty after the swimming pool and it affecting my sleep. Think I might invest in a noseclip and see if it helps. Anyone else having these problems?

Rafiki    pirate
31/05/2012 at 19:12

Mathschick - yeh I have same problem so now use a nose clip - but also read on another thread that using hayfever nose sprays etc help big time (beconase or something like that) - might be worth a try??

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.