Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

5,521 to 5,540 of 17,566 messages
13/06/2012 at 08:18

I just realised that I didn't talk about what we did on hols at all as it ended so badly. We managed to do only 2 mtb rides and a short walk. For the second mtb ride we did the Marin trail near Betws-y-coed, a red route of 25km. Sounded all good and doable. But it was raining, and it was rocky on the descents, and there were lots and lots of never ending fire road uphills and everything was wet and slippery. In the end, it was probably the worst mtb ride ever! Till half way through I was pretty ok and we didn't take any short cuts. Down hills were bad as it was rocky and slippery and my arms and shoulders really ached from the continious breaking.

We got pretty soaked anyway with the rain but on one downhill coming down a fire road, BF over took me just before a puddle, and it was a large and deep puddle and I got totally sprayed! It wasn't funny then but it is quite funny now. Towards the end I'd really had had enough, knackered from the uphills, knackered from breaking and cold and wet to the bone. I was ready to chuck my bike couple of times and just sit and cry but we did manage it to the end, all the way. I did fall of once;usually when I start falling I jump off the bike, but this time I was so tired I just fell to the ground and almost decided to stay there...No harm done, just a massive bruise either side of my thigh.

The next day, we'd planned around 10mile walk but my legs were smashed and even the first uphill took for ever so we decided to cut it short. Work to be done!

Edited: 13/06/2012 at 08:20
oii
13/06/2012 at 09:33

mikasa - gosh that sounds like Really hard work, i would defo have thrown my bike to the floor and had a cry. I really dont like the whole MTB thing, though contemplating getting into it so i can do off road duathlons in the winter.....

gastank - contemplating robbing a bank so i can have a 910xt

steady - glad your ankle is getting there. how dare they let us down!!!

mathschick - i am not sure if it will work with the 305. i read the reviews on amazon and that told me that it would work with a 405. either read those or contact garmin i reckon.....

13/06/2012 at 10:57

oii - I was soooo close. All credit to BF that he got us round and didn't lose his temper, he's so good!

I used to really like MTBing and I have done a lot harder ones than the Marin trail previously, one of them being the Skyline, I think we did that last year or year before. Look here to get the idea: http://www.moredirt.co.uk/trail/South-Wales/Skyline-Trail/9/ 

Just goes to show how unfit I've become in a relatively short period. As I said, work to be done!

I like the idea of garmin but the square ones look really big! I only have small wrists and am afraid they'd totally swamp me and be uncomfortable. Should really go somewhere where I can see and try one.

13/06/2012 at 13:20

Goodness Mikasa, that sounds like some holiday! Very impressive MTBing

All this tech talk... personally I love my bright pink casio stopwatch

13/06/2012 at 14:47
I like polar rcx5 multi, although it doesn't have a rest day setting on it mmmmmm wonders off scratching head.
13/06/2012 at 18:38

oii - good idea, I have checked on the garmin website, and it says it is compatible. Also compatible with the 910xt which I may ask for for xmas (would like something to record swimming)

trundles off to amazon...

13/06/2012 at 19:20

Chilli- my Poolmate is bright pink.

I went for a short swim at the local pool, not keen on it but open when I had some free time but there is an odd current that goes across the pool and if not careful you go from one side of lane ropes to the other very quickly in the middle, its off putting and also the water is so warm its not good for a long swim. Did 1000m in 30 mins including some breast and back stroke.

Ankle swelling has gone down quite a bit but the horrible looking blister is still there, but at least it is intact.

Rafiki    pirate
13/06/2012 at 19:35

Steady - what do you think of your poolmate? I was thinking about getting one (probably not bright pink though..). I've got a Garmin 405 for running, a little computer on the bike, so find it hard to justify buying a Garmin 910. So was thinking about a poolmate to keep track of times and laps etc..

13/06/2012 at 19:35

glad your ankle is getting better

how do you find the poolmate? I have read pretty mixed reviews of them

Rafiki    pirate
13/06/2012 at 19:36

X post with Mathschick there!!

ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
13/06/2012 at 19:50

ST - does the 910xt have a rest day setting do you know?

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/676950/gallery/gi_103555_polar_rcx5_tdf_premium_bundle_0.jpg?width=350

i do like this though....

13/06/2012 at 19:53

I like the colour of that! I am a bit of a garmin fan though

13/06/2012 at 20:04
I must admit I like the polar more than garmin. Still both very expensive.
13/06/2012 at 20:34

Just got some stuff back that was stolen, including our waterproof trousers!! Some kind soul had reported a bag full of clothes. 

Anyhoo, 5.3miles done tonight. Uphills were bit more of the struggle after yesterday's efforts.

13/06/2012 at 20:49
Mikasa - great news!

I can't afford or justify a 910xt. My pool is too short anyway for it to work poperly. Needs to be over 22m apparently!

Oh, I've been training a bit but am on phone at moment. Good to see you are all ok! Have been reading though over the past few days. Racing again this weekend.

Take care!
Rafiki    pirate
13/06/2012 at 20:58

That's interesting Alex as my pool is only 20m (or 19.8m in fact) so not much point getting one!

ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
13/06/2012 at 21:10
mathschick wrote (see)

I like the colour of that! I am a bit of a garmin fan though

OF COURSE YOU DO THEY'RE PIRATE COLOURS
Silver Trucker wrote (see)
I must admit I like the polar more than garmin. Still both very expensive.

agreed mate very expensive, damn watch will nearly cost as much as bike, that can't be right and the missus doesn't see that as a justification to buy this apparently i need to put more miles on the existing steeds first

I think the polar looks v cool but it does have the swimming functionality of the garmin BUT it does do HR underwater and properly functions which some don't

alex_h wrote (see)
I can't afford or justify a 910xt. My pool is too short anyway for it to work poperly. Needs to be over 22m apparently!
RafikiD wrote (see)

That's interesting Alex as my pool is only 20m (or 19.8m in fact) so not much point getting one!

hmmm.... i have two pools and sometimes in the 25m and sometimes the 20m, i would be very pi$$ed off if I bought the 910xt for the enhanced swimming functionality only to find it doesn't work in my pool - thx for the tip Alex

13/06/2012 at 21:17
No worries - check out DCRainmaker's blog for a seriously in depth review. Well worth a look if you are considering investing. He reviews other kit too (bikes and stuff) They may have fixed the <22m issue with a software patch, but he doesn't mention it!
oii
13/06/2012 at 21:37
I bet it doesnt say "doesn't work in pools less than 22m
In length" on the tin!!! Hahaha, well glad I know that now (0:

Did 1 hour body pump class tonight then foam rollered my naughty left ITB to breaking point. Bl**dy thing!
13/06/2012 at 21:42

nice bike gastank - love the way they describe it 'so fast it wins ironman world championships' haha, not if I was riding it it wouldn't!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.