Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

5,581 to 5,600 of 17,566 messages
oii
16/06/2012 at 16:25
Good luck with the sprint Alex!!!

My next race is a half mara next Sunday (0:

Good luck tmrw Gas - expecting some awesome race reports!!!

Raf - its dead windy here, you wannabe glad you aren't swimming the Thames!!

Isn't IM Lanza a horrid race? I want to do The "half henley" I think it sounds ace "half Henley". (0:
16/06/2012 at 16:28
Henley is an option

Alex I'm with you I train (cough Cough! ) in the very loose word of Train 2/4 hrs a week find it hard to fit more in with work and family. Although my youngest starts school in September so should free up couple of hrs in the day once home from work. I get up at 2/3 every morning for work, so then have youngest as soon as I get back 1/2pm then the rest of clang at 3/4pm wife comes home 4/5pm dinner shower bed by 8/9pm. So not much time then weekends full of running about with 4 kids doing clubs football, tennis,swimming, dancing,judo training, matches and competitions. So not much time to do long stuff . Still there all excuses and with some good planning I could squeeze in the get around Fink plan in ish? Maybe.......

Hope all have good races guys Alex, Raf and Gas.

Oii was you down for Rutland Marafun? Mathschick and I are in.
Rafiki    pirate
16/06/2012 at 16:47

Gas - who'd have thought it- we'll both be racing in Pirate kit tomorrow! If only Schmunkee knew

ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
16/06/2012 at 16:58
RafikiD wrote (see)

Gas - who'd have thought it- we'll both be racing in Pirate kit tomorrow! If only Schmunkee knew

madness.... team muckees prodigys racing in pirate kit, hope mom will be proud

oii
16/06/2012 at 17:59
When is Rutland? Isn't it hard as nails? Is it trail?
16/06/2012 at 18:31
Oii you will breeze it with your training November 4th.
16/06/2012 at 18:53
Outlaw ??245 Henley ??340 UK Ironman ??415 mmmmm decisions..............

What a difference in price??? I do like the look of Henley but still ??95 more? Which is price of two build up races.

That's this year prices to I'm guessing the way the price goes up for official IM that will be nearer ??450 next year
16/06/2012 at 19:13

oh don't tell me Rutland is hard as nails please, it is going to be my first and I am slow as it is. It isn't very hilly round there, from what I remember...

I fancy the idea of half henley nexy year, and chili is thinking of it. Maybe we could get a few of us doing it? Would be fun

busy day today and the kids have bought themselves a new bike each mountain bikes, now the other 3 in my family have mountain bikes, I am suggesting I should have one too so I can go and mountain bike with them. I would either be very scared on mountain bike type courses or it would take me back to my childhood when we used to set up ramps and jumps in the garden. I did myself quite a nasty injury once though

16/06/2012 at 19:27
Mathschick did you not read the Rutland Marafun in top 10 hardest Marafuns in Europe.
16/06/2012 at 19:37

erm, no, must have missed that. Oh well, if I survive Rutland then I can do anything, right?

16/06/2012 at 19:48
Lol I'm only messing Mathschick, I'm hoping it's flat too. Never fancied running a Marafun aperture from London so no idea I ended up entering lol.
16/06/2012 at 19:56

thought so

have you got some kind of weird predictive text going on??

Razor51    pirate
16/06/2012 at 23:06
Missing out on Outlaw this year so deffo Outlaw next year , price and logistics.
oii
17/06/2012 at 07:32
Have read a billion reviews on Rutland. Am research geek.

Undulating but not 3 peaks!!! Some cattle grids, but sounds like Marshalls might be there to hold the gates open, in any case, opening your own cattle grid gate isn't hard graft.... Although from mile 20 I find anything other than one foot in front of the other hard graft (0;

If you go on the rutland website there is a picture of the elevation, a bit lumpy with a nice glute/quad/brain tester at around mile 22. nothing that can't be trained for. It's hard trail and Tarmac. Which is a lot more agreeable than the slushy boggy grim trail Marathon I thought it was!!!!
17/06/2012 at 09:23
So you in Oii?

Razor I'm with you on that, my brain finding it hard to do same distance race but pay nearly double for it? If and it's a big IF I do outlaw and enjoy, then maybe could get sucked into a IMUK or abroad but for my first which could be my last I'm going for local and cheaper race price.
17/06/2012 at 09:33
Gastank was it you or RafKid that has a speedfill bottle on bike?
17/06/2012 at 13:04

Oii - go on, you know you fancy Rutland - you have done all the research now, would be a shame for the time you spent to go to waste....

ST - yeah, if I ever get up to the fitness to be able to consider iron distance it will be outlaw. But it would be stupid of me to consider anything different as it is on my doorstep. I have done a couple of events run by the same company and they have been fantastic, excellent organisation

Rafiki    pirate
17/06/2012 at 15:19

Well, did my OD this morning - with a 1k run instead of the swim as I mentioned. Went OK, bumped into Fat Budha whilst sorting my bike out, then met Shas on my way to the start - she had very kindly come to shout abuse at me!

1k run was easy, straight into T1, nice and dry, then out on bike for a 40k ride, Went fine, felt good all the way round - although busy in places that not drafting was almost impossible! Back into T2 in 1:09ish (average of 22mph), no problems in T2 so out for a 3 lap 10k around Windsor and Eton. Overtook Bedders (another Pirate) on first lap and then FB on the final lap (both started before me). Shas shouting at me each lap   Finish the run in 45mins. Job done!

Good fun - certainly a lot easier when you're dry in T1!!

ST - I have a ProfileDesign aerobottle, with at speedfill cap

17/06/2012 at 15:38

well done rafi

MovingAlong    pirate
17/06/2012 at 16:26

Rafi - well done! Fantastic times on the bike and run!

How did the others that were racing today get on?

After the Great East Swim was moved from Saturday to Sunday, I found myself there this morning. I was using it as a guide for the swim time for Outlaw, so just wanted to pace myself round and try and feel as fresh as possible leaving the water.

Managed to get round in 1hr 26m, which is maybe 10 mins down on what I was hoping for. I'm a little confused because I seem to be able to swim a 37-38 min mile in the pool, but OW doesn't seem to happen for me. If today was 2 even mile splits, which is highly likely as I was pacing it, then thats 43 minutes per mile, which is exactly the time I did for a similar event last year (1 mile in distance), despite really improving in the pool with non-stop swimming through the winter.

I think I maybe go a bit too wide from buoy to buoy for something to work on, but other than that, I'm starting to struggle for ideas! Guess I'll be chasing the cut-off for the swim at Outlaw!

For anyone thinking about it though, the Great Swim events really are excellently organised. So a big thumbs up for the event

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.