Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

5,701 to 5,720 of 17,566 messages
22/06/2012 at 14:56

cake - I have the book and have nearly finished it - abrilliant read

I think I am better off building slowly

22/06/2012 at 14:56

Just thinking about maybe doing some OW after all. You know, just splashing about. And there's that lake just a bit up north from me. Might be good FC practise. £35 sounds awesome! And you get deposit back if you don't want to keep it?

Good news re: insurance. They've agreed to pay the whole insured amount on bikes and sending it on a mastercard as it's over their cash limit.

Edited: 22/06/2012 at 14:57
MovingAlong    pirate
22/06/2012 at 15:52

Mikasa - I decided to keep mine, so forewent the deposit reclaim, but yep you return it for the deposit. I'm not sure how strigent they are on the condition of the suit etc... Just checked the website and they've got the same deal this year. And fantastic news on the bikes!

22/06/2012 at 16:08

Good news for the bike Mikasa

22/06/2012 at 20:19

Laces were too tight, left lens was playing up, legs were knackered,uphills were oh so hard but I did manage to run all of the 4 miles I had planned. Don't think it should be that hard though...

Only after that did I allow myself to open the package that contained Be Iron Fit (a lot smaller book than I expected). Will have to look into it at the weekend,too tired now.

22/06/2012 at 20:26

well done on the run mikasa and great news for the bike

still suffering today so wondering whether I have a cold rather than it being a reaction to the chlorine last night - I was only in the pool for 35 minutes!

22/06/2012 at 20:45
Hi MAthschick now I've cancelled Hell........vellyn Rutland is now my big race for the year. Have you got a plan for training?
oii
22/06/2012 at 21:16
Mikasa - massive ace news re the bikes!!!!
22/06/2012 at 22:01

training plan? run 4 times a week, making the sunday runs longer and longer...

23/06/2012 at 06:35

Mikasa - great news! They run OW training sessions in a place in Bristol. Not sure if you know about it. They are on a Wednesday night. Also, this week they did some tri training on a Thursday. People had to take a turbo, but they had some that could be borrowed on a first come first served basis. I'm hoping to do something down there one day soon.
ST - Depends on what you want from the mara I guess. 4 runs a week with decent mileage will get you round in a decent time I expect.
Oii - Good luck for HM tomorrow...do you feel ready? You've been training hard. Any goals in mind?
Steady - Good luck for your 10k. Treat it as an intense training session!!!
MA/Cake - Hope the tapering isn't driving you two too mad!!!
MC - hope you feel better soon.

Decent training week thus far for me. Raced last Sunday (Race report still not written). rest Monday. Tuesday was a 1k swim lunchtime and a 3.5 mile run with the baby in the buggy in the evening, which was a tough run! Weds I cycled the 17 miles to work. Cycled home again on Thursday in foul weather. rest day yesterday. This weekend will consist of swimming and running!

Would like to go Iron distance but an opportunity has come up in work where I can get sponsored to do an MSc. Will need to see if I get on that or not because I don't think I can juggle full time work, part-time study, home life involving a 8-month old baby, 2 dogs, and 2 kids from previous marriage. IM training may be a stretch on top of that...although it would be a heck of an achievement....hmmm...;)

23/06/2012 at 07:59

alex - great training weekhope the baby enjoyed the run

my week has been a bit crap training wise and I still feel rough, guess it is a cold rather than chlorine induced, so this weekend will be a write off. At least I slept a bit better last night so I am not too grumpy this morning!

23/06/2012 at 08:28
I saw an intermediate Marafun training plan it's 5 days a week with the long run on the Sunday. Starts with runs in week being 4/5 miles and long run of 9 miles. Then Week two 5 mile runs in week then 11 mile run sun! It builds up pretty quick but douable I guess. Once miles in legs I suppose not a daunting, will swap odd run with bike/turbo to and still do once week ow swim. My plan ( ha when have I heard that before) starts Next week with Monday rest day gonna print off and put on fridge so can tick off as days go by. It's gonna be tough cause I'm rubbish at sticking to training plans.

This season started with two early Tri's then money and mojo dried up, both were at same time. After buying new bike and wet suit plus other bits and pieces left me with no money for every increasing event costs. Didn't help with mojo going south to still got a Tri already booked for end July which should be fun then the Marafun with Mathschick in Rutland in November think JEvaNs might be on it to? Hopefully Oii will join us and anyone else who fancies it.

I'm still planing doing the swim day before outlaw so might get to meet a few more of you and defo want to meet Razor I need you to get me through training next year for outlaw mate
23/06/2012 at 08:40

ST good to hear you have a sort of plan, just remember that they are not written in stone and can be adjusted to suit you.
I am getting to The Outlaw on Saturday so may see you or may not amongst so many other people. Will be at either the 2nd briefing or more likely the last one.

Just done a coached swim session, he worked us hard today including drills of high elbows, catch up and fists but doing 100m of each not the usual 25m of each. Then at the end he got us to do 400m FC non stop going slightly faster on laps 1-5, 8-11 and 14-16, I did an incredible 10.22, which is quite close to my PB of 10.08, so he joked that I just needed to repeat that 10 times for a 1:40 swim at The Outlaw.

23/06/2012 at 08:47
Wow lucky I went on web page just booked on the swim didn't realise that only had today to register lol that's come round quick I'm on 1500 wanted to do 3000 but only done one swim so far this year.
23/06/2012 at 09:26

ST - which plan is it? sounds about right for me as that is the kind of mileage that I am on at the moment.

Steady - great swimming

trying to figure out if I can pop down to Holme Pierpoint next week to meet people and support  a bit, but looking increasingly difficult. Saturday there is music then the kids' school fair and eldest son is running a stall. Sunday, normal kids stuff plus taking big boy to last band rehearsal before they perform a concert with the county band in Nottingham.However, the bike leg goes through my town, so I can get out early and spend some of my run time cheering folk on. If anyone is in pirate gear they will get a super big cheer from me

MovingAlong    pirate
23/06/2012 at 14:50

Alex - Good training this week. If it helps I'm doing a part-time Masters alongside full-time work at the moment. Just done the 1st year. Haven't got the kids to contend with, but did move house! Have vowed not to do another IM until studies have finished. For the most part its been alright, but there was a busy period at work which coincided with deadlines for the Masters, which really didn't help with the training! For about 1 week it all got a bit much!

ST (and others!) - see you next week!

I met the lovely GasTank this morning at Redricks for OW swimming. No one help Gas with his swimming from now on please - hes a speedy thing. I saw him at the start of each lap, and then zoom he was off!

In brighter news, my lap splits compared to last year were significantly better, so I have taken my pool improvements to OW. Must have just had a 'poor' swim last week. If conditions are good for Outlaw and I remember to sight correctly, I might be looking at around 1hr 30. I'll be happy with anything sub 1hr 40.

Father-in-law has had me fixing his PC all morning in exchange for servicing my bike. Strangely his PC is now working, but nothing much seems to have happened to me bike - better go and have some words!

23/06/2012 at 15:36

ma - well done on the swimming

I also have studied for a masters alongside full time work and having kids - hard work, you are right not to try to mix IM training into that.

23/06/2012 at 15:41

Just watching the ITU world championship series on the bbc - they don't hang around in transition!

23/06/2012 at 16:48

yahoo, I've got that happy feeling, looked up my race number for next week.

Rock Steady Crew  976

Chilli what number are The Jesters team?

Razor51    pirate
23/06/2012 at 23:10

ST....looking forward to meeting you and everyone else next week then I'll be able to kick your arse in gear.... I'm doing the 3k swim, I hav'nt swam that far before either pity you couldn't change to it, we could of held hands....

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.