Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

5,701 to 5,720 of 15,456 messages
Rafiki    pirate
19/06/2012 at 18:59

Steady - I hope there will be a fresh batch for us volunteers at the Outlaw??

19/06/2012 at 19:20

Wow, that is a big price difference between Half Henley and Wild boar! Okay, I might be tempted to do the Wild Boar next year.

Shall we make it a thread outing? We keep talking about doing one and never actually make it.

I like the idea of no cut offs. I have signed up to the 1500m swim on 30th June. Will be my first OW swim this year Did 1500m in my pool at lunch time. Was very slow. Took me about 45 mins.

19/06/2012 at 20:01

yeah, let's make wild boar a thread outing, would be great to do an event where I know others! Also would be great to meet everyone.

I need the no cut-offs!

19/06/2012 at 21:08

I'm getting really excited about the idea too, thread outing sounds brilliant!

19/06/2012 at 22:19

Rafikid - you will be very very lucky if you get any at the Outlaw, as I am doing swim and run parts I may eat loads of it and if you are out doing the bike feed station I willnot see you. It came out like bread pudding, definitely line the baking tin or you will have a devils job getting burnt/stuck bits off.
I am going to try it out on some pirates tomorrow after OW swim, to get opinions on how much I might need to make. Oh dear another days annual leave needed to fit all this getting ready for a race.

Oii - I used sultanas, cos thats what I would use if making real bread pudding and it seems to make it more moist.

Chillibean - don't worry about time, I found that OW swim in wetsuit was quicker than a pool much to my suprise. 3k in pool 1:30, OW 1:22.

oii
19/06/2012 at 22:27
Steady - I mIght soak the sultanas in absinthe overnight before I use them in your recipe. Might make the LSR a bit more exciting On a Sunday.....
MovingAlong    pirate
20/06/2012 at 09:37

I'm up for the Wild Boar next year as a thread outing! Just a shame its so far away!

Did last 'real' training day yesterday. Last 'long' ride of 2hrs 40m. Got ever so slight neck-pain, so think I'll be suffering on the bike at Outlaw. Its actually turned out to be more stiff / painful this morning - should have done some more stretching! Best check out some pain killers for Outlaw. Think my neck needs a good couple of months off the bike to fully recover, then it'll be bike shopping afterwards.

And then a run last night. Decided to show my face at the running club and then found out it was hill repeats. Ah well, took them very easy, and did 6.5 miles. That'll be my last long run now as well!

Think I'll be doing no more bike work until Outlaw now to give my neck the best chance on the day. Runs will probably be no more than 2-3 miles in length now, and I'll just get another couple of swims in. Phew.

oii
20/06/2012 at 09:49

ma - i find naproxen does me the best as an NSAID but without the nasty stomach bleurgh side affects. i take one of those and a 200mg ibruprofen at night after a big run and my itbs has decided to be ridiculous and wow, what a difference the next day (i.e i can actually walk downstairs again). I very rarely take NSAIDS, so when i do i get a massive boost from them.

If you could get diazepam, that would be ace as its an incredible muscle relaxant, but bcoz of that it makes you a bit sleepy....

I would def go the docs and get in there and fight for some uber strong tablets. Do not walk away with them telling you to "just take ibruprofen".

also if you can self massage the night before the night before i would get that done. You mustnt self massage on sat 30 june as your sore bits wont have had enough time to settle down for sun 1 july on the bike. so self massage (or pay someone lots) to massage your neck/shoulders fri 29 june.

last of all have you considered a memory foam pillow?

i am in to all this stuff, as i used to work with horses and spent a lot of time bashed up in A&E!!!

MovingAlong    pirate
20/06/2012 at 11:00

Thanks Oii.

I'll see what I can do. I'm booked in for a light massage on Thursday beforehand. Think they have massage available at the venue, so might be able to seek a light one out on the Friday beforehand too.

MovingAlong    pirate
20/06/2012 at 14:03

Hi Cake - I was hoping that too - deliberately stayed off the bike for almost a fortnight in the hope it might clear. Fingers crossed another 10 days or so rest will help it further. Didn't feel awful on the bike yesterday, but could feel it building. Ah well... what will be will be!

Thanks for the advice about the venue, have to see what magic they can work!

20/06/2012 at 17:17

MA glad to hear your tapering well. I did 3x750m loops OW swim this morning in just over an hour. I have entered a local 10k on Sunday as it was a free place in a race due to a cancelled race back in February and I couldnot make the other race they offered. I can assure everyone that I will be taking it very easy as it is hilly and off road.
I have a sports massage booked for Monday and when I go for that I will book my post event one, I have been advised that the SMT will be able to judge how long I will need to leave it post Outlaw to do it, as expecting a lot of hurting muscles.

20/06/2012 at 17:19

Oh and another bit of news, 2 Surrey pirates have approved of my baking, so definitely will have to make some to take to Outlaw.

MovingAlong    pirate
21/06/2012 at 10:03
Cake wrote (see)
MovingAlong wrote (see)

Hi Cake - I was hoping that too - deliberately stayed off the bike for almost a fortnight in the hope it might clear. Fingers crossed another 10 days or so rest will help it further. Didn't feel awful on the bike yesterday, but could feel it building. Ah well... what will be will be!

Thanks for the advice about the venue, have to see what magic they can work!

I'm not sure about this but I think there are free massage after the race. But don't quote me on that because probably a hallucination caused by just wandering off when I should have paid.

Yep - in the emails they sent out they've certainly given the impression of free massages afterwards for finishers.

Tried a coaching session at a local OW lake yesterday. It was alright, but not really what I needed. I was hoping for a bit more help with my technique, but it was practising deep-water starts and swimming in crowds. All good, but not really what I was after. Annoyingly made a last minute decision to go, and therefore left my swim cap at home. Asked if they were any in lost property I could pinch for the night, and helpfully got told I would need to buy one. D'oh.

Complete rest day today for me.

MovingAlong    pirate
21/06/2012 at 12:17

Hi Cake - I suspect I've got the same DVD lying around somewhere too

My tri club do an excellent pool based session and I've really improved my technique (especially in the pool). I suspect this has transferred to OW, but the swim I did over the weekend was particularly slow compared to my pool based times. I'm gonna do a timed session this week at a venue I've got splits for from last year to do a fair comparison.

What I was hoping for yesterday was for some general pointers on swimming technique rather than practice of race scenarios....

Rafiki    pirate
21/06/2012 at 12:53

MA - how accurate are the distances being measured in OW? I know where I swim the bouys can move around a hell of a lot - its a 750 loop, but maybe nore like 850 on some days. Just a thought??

MovingAlong    pirate
21/06/2012 at 14:05

Rafi - all good points. I'm being a little unfair by not doing comparisons at same lake / perhaps similar conditions. This weekend will hopefully tell all provided the conditions remain the same!

21/06/2012 at 17:41

was it a stupid thing when I said to myself last night 'if you don't get the promotion today then you can train for IM?'

guess what? didn't get the promotion

don't mind about not getting it, I only half-heartedly applied. Anyway, stick with original plan - wild boar next year and if I can do that go for outlaw 2014

21/06/2012 at 18:26
Mathschick why not wild boar this year
21/06/2012 at 20:16

ST - don't think I can build up the bike and despite all the temptation am sticking to my 'no ow this year'

told OH I want to do outlaw 2014 - he thinks I am mad

he jokingly said he would support me bu standing cheering me on - and was amazed when I said I would like him to do just that!!

21/06/2012 at 20:52

gamin cadence sensor has arrived - I just need to figure out how to fix it on the bike

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.