Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

5,861 to 5,880 of 15,697 messages
27/06/2012 at 20:10
Day three of Marafun training 4 mile easy, to be honest not sure what the difference in easy and tempo is apart from a few seconds lol. Still I'm three days in and bring on day 4 5 mile run To a hill then 8x30 second reps. I'm also open water swim tomorrow night although just had email saying new goggles not arriving till July 3rd #%%#<>$???$^}{\~{s so annoying.
27/06/2012 at 21:23

Well done on your very consistent training ST! Just remember to keep it up! 

I was soooo tired when I got home tonight I had to have a little lie down. It wasn't the best idea cos I fell asleep for a bit but made myself get up after half an hour, otherwise I would've been there till the morning. 

Got out for my run though, am so proud of myself! The first half a mile/mile was a struggle as my body still felt really sleepy. Just took it easy, run all the uphills and did the whole route, so am pleased to say that 4.2miles done and I'm on target!!

BF just bought a mtb on ebay so we're off to Huddersfield and Sheffield at the weekend to pick his and mine. 

IronCat5    pirate
27/06/2012 at 21:54

I'm here ST. Wibbling like mad now that I've finished work for the week.

I think I'm #193. I'm also v tired. ZZzzzzz.

Glad the marafun training is going well. You'll beat that Oii. Good run Mikasa.

Looking forward to meeting you all a la weekend.

27/06/2012 at 22:04

Evening everyone *wave*  Just did a really quick read-back...

Oii - well done on your half mara!  And I'm with you on how annoying & painful ITBS is - while I haven't exactly done a whole lot of running this year, I'd done about 6 weeks of intervals & building up slowly pre-accident with no problems so thought I'd finally licked my knee problems, but went for a small run Monday lunchtime to help get rid of frustrations following my surgeon visit last Friday (more on that below) & wham, both the knee problems hit with a vengance so it was a very cranky shassie that practically had to crawl back into work from pain.  What do you do for your ITBS??

maths - awesome present of the 910 & we will hold you to that on doing outlaw!!

ST - good job on the training!!

As for me - as mentioned above had another check-up with the surgeon on Friday and while I am healing well also got slapped with some shitty news.  My collarbone has completely healed & you can't even see where the break was anymore so the surgeon was really happy with that.  But you can still see the break in the shoulder blade & it was only then he decided to tell me that it will take 6 months to heal & I have to limit activities until such time as it has healed, so that was the first slap in the face.

The second slap was when I mentioned I'm still having discomfort where the chest tube went in when I lift my arms etc (which is the main reason I've yet to dip a toe into water as it's not a pleasant feeling), he did say that the muscles between the ribs will still be healing so it will get a bit better & can help with massage etc, but where the lung was punctured & healed there will be scar tissue that will rub on the inside and there is nought they can do about that so basically I just have to learn to live with the feeling.  Hence when my knee flared up Monday I was really not in a great mood!!

He also tried to tell me to stay off the bike for 6 weeks, to which I just looked at him & went "I don't think so sunshine" but he thought I was mountain biking so when I clarified that I in fact road ride, he relented & initially reduced it to 2 weeks but after several more raised eyebrows & little chats, we came to a mutual agreement that I would stick to known very smooth road / cycle paths 2 weeks and then continue to take it easy on known roads until the 6 week point.

I'll be at Outlaw this weekend - obviously not participating but sporting a new bright yellow piratey t-shirt & handing water bottles out & yelling madly at everyone   Looking forward to meeting everyone!!

27/06/2012 at 22:07

ST - well done. I did 6 miles, and went faster than I should so I haven't managed to stick to the plan. And tomorrow I plan to cycle in the morning cos it is tri club run in the evening - so I won't be doing the 5 miles with hill reps. The club run is normally hard though - mainly because the others are so much better than me and I try t keep up - never manage it though!

took new toy to the poolfound out that my front crawl is faster than I thought - did 400m in 12 minutes. I know that is slow, but it is faster than I thought I was doing it in when I was timing myself by looking at the clock on the pool wall.

fetch doesn't seem to recognise the swim session to upload it there though, not sure why - it has uploaded the runs from the new toy

27/06/2012 at 22:10

shas - cross post there. Sorry for yur bad news. 6 months for the shoulder is such a long time.

cat - don't wibble, you will be fine. Although reading about all you lot wibbling, I started wibbling at the thought of doing it in 2 years time!!

IronCat5    pirate
27/06/2012 at 22:15

Shucks Shaz. Hope it all works out.

Maths - everytime I think about it, or read the race brief I want to throw up.

27/06/2012 at 22:23

Thanks guys - it does suck, especially only hearing it now, but just have to focus on the fact that things are healing & it gets a bit better each week & that it will ultimately heal are all the main things!!

cat - can imagine you're nervous but just remember you'll have all of us rooting & cheering for you to help you get through  And of course there's always the temptation of the cold beer at the finish line to help get you over it hehehe

28/06/2012 at 08:00

cat - just try to think about it like any other event. try not to lose sleep over it, or you will be exhausted before it starts! You have done the training and you can do it.

MovingAlong    pirate
28/06/2012 at 10:00

Sorry to hear the news Shas. Like you say, you'll just have to stick it out. See you over the weekend.

Well done to all you guys running - pretty hot out there at the moment!

Cat - I'm having the constant wibbles. Fortunately still in work so I've got that distraction. Last day today though, so I might be a nervous wreck by this evening!

Razor51    pirate
28/06/2012 at 11:03

Shaz.....sorry to hear about your setback but they say time is a great healer, that's what I keep telling myself.... ...my cast came off last week and I thought great I can start gettingt back to it.....no such luck, didn't realise how stiff things would be, achilles is tight, lost 1.1/2in of calf muscle and ankle blows up if I'm on my feet too long so I will be bringing a chair to the feed station... the good news is I had a great swim on tuesday 2k in 50mins with no problems so I will be ok for my 3k swim on saturday. Got my first physio session at 12.30 so I'll see what they say I can and can't do, like you Shaz I will be negotiating what they say I can do and what I want to do..... 

ST..... What time is your swim? I've got a pair of Aqua Sphere Vista goggles you can use if your stuck, will bring them just in case.

28/06/2012 at 12:38

Sorry to hear healing is going to take so much longet Shaz. But for both you and Razor, just heal properly, don't rush it, otherwise you will just have a weakness and be more prone to injure yourself again. Easier said than done I know.

28/06/2012 at 13:35
Cheers Razor still got my old pair but can't see anything out of them, they are really warn on the lens part. I'm sure it's dew to open water swimming, so might take you up on your offer if see you before swim. My swim is 1530 hoping to get there for 1330 before you set off.
28/06/2012 at 18:15

day 4 of plan and I haven't done anything. Had planned to cycle this morning and club run this evening. But then felt tired and achy legs so didn't ride this morning, and the thundery downpours and humidity and tiredness have made me wimp out of club run

also have a very annoying mossie bite that has made me elbow swell up. At least it isn't my ankle though

ST - did you get your 5 miles  with hill reps done? I am going to do mine tomorrow - will swap tomorrow's rest day for today

28/06/2012 at 20:28
Mathschick we had golf ball size hail stones to, my car has dents all over it so day four no run but just finished my ow swim new suits keeps rubbing back of neck so very sore. I to will do 5 mile tomorrow instead of rest day.
28/06/2012 at 20:41

ST - nightmare about your car - does the insurance cover that?

have you been putting some lube/bodyglide on your neck? well done on the swim

28/06/2012 at 20:44

How crazy does the weather want to be??!!??

No hail stones here but a three hour thunder storm, yet its bright sunshine now and just had a BBQ.

mikasa - Good news on the MTB hope they are both awesome and you can get out riding again soon.

MathsC - I wish my Maths teacher at school had been as awesome as you sound, good plan on swapping rest days etc, plans are awesome but got to keep the big picture in sight too.

Oii/ST This is almost turning into Pre-marafun flirting 

Feeling much better and hopefully will be fully healthy again for Tri on Sunday.

Been out swimming in the lake again today, feeling much better. Admittadly my aim for Sunday is to just get round, if I do that, I'll be a very happy seal.

MTBiking at Grizedale forest tomorrow, very excited.

28/06/2012 at 20:48

eco - glad you are feeling better

Grizedale is beautiful - have fun

not sure my students think I am awesome! I think they appreciate why I am a slavedriver though!

Razor51    pirate
28/06/2012 at 21:24

ST...no probs mate, I can leave them with Horse if I miss you ( he'll have a Pirate T shirt with Horse on the back)...

Went OW swimming tonight with Horse managed 1500 mts, felt a bit knackered after, lost a lot of fitness over the last 7weeks....

Good news is the physio said she was very pleased with the movement of my foot and  I can swim and use the stationary bike ( been doing that for the last 2 weeks) told her I had been on the turbo trainer with my cast on and she said "I don't want to know" and stuck her fingers in her ears.......I asked her when she thought I'd be able to run, said about 6 weeks so that's good news....

28/06/2012 at 22:03

Good news Razor

I think I am packed, but will unpack to check it all and re-pack to make sure.
Oaty Pudding(my new name for the breakfast bar recipe) is made, the first batch yesterday was OK but have eaten some of it already.
I have given myself a pedicure and manicure so hopefully no nail holes in wetsuit, colour varnish not done yet.
Half day at work tomorrow, going to go for battered cod and peas for lunch as carbo loading, unless it looks awful in staff cafe, then it will be go outside to find something tasty. Then home via a stop at athe supermarket for supplies, going for a little plod for 20 mins or so and then help next door pack the car ready for early start.

Mr Steady is improving and back at work but taking it easy (he is on his feet all day). So I am quite happy to leave him behind but he will have the website feed to keep him updated.

Getting excited now

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.