Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

7,001 to 7,020 of 17,564 messages
15/10/2012 at 13:48

Ah, wrote out my bit before noticing any new replies.

ST - You're bit like me. I had a look at my training towards the half mara and no wonder I struggles the last 3 miles.
May - 10 runs
June - 8 runs
July - 2 runs!
August - 1 run!! (But also the week of cycling)
September - 8 runs including half mara.

I've learnt though!

Edited: 15/10/2012 at 13:52
15/10/2012 at 17:22
Nov 4th Rafki

To late for that now Cake lol ok will go for 18 but if feel good will go longer
15/10/2012 at 18:10

Cake, Gladys was not seen mincing as he was on his bike. My red face and pink top was probably not my best look, but I had just come up a horrible hill.

I paid £10 for my massage at the event, that seems to be the average in this region. For a full session with a SMT I have paid £40, but I tend to keep those as very rare treats, like after a marathon.
My legs feel OK today, just a slight tightness in the inner thigh that cramped badly, will do some stretching before dinner.

Rafiki    pirate
15/10/2012 at 18:16

Steady - Gladys can mince on a bike as well

ST - Cake's probably right. Your legs will not have fully recovered from your last 20 miler - they may feel OK but it normally takes 2 weeks or so for the muscle tissue to recover. So doing an extra long run now raises the risk of injury as you're running on recovering legs and won't really give you that much benefit. An 18 miler 3 weeks out sounds about right!

15/10/2012 at 18:52

ST - I wouldn't even do as long as 18 miles - this weekend is only 2 weeks off the big day, so make it shorter. I was plannng on 15 miles. And that is what is says on the plan you originally started following!

Razor51    pirate
15/10/2012 at 21:24
Hi Gang,
Can you tell me how this works, Friday I was running at 9.15m/mi feeling great tonight I struggled to keep under 10 m/mi and it was tough but haven't done anything different from last week. Any words of wisdom or did I just have a good day on Friday.
Rafiki    pirate
15/10/2012 at 21:34

Razor - we all have good days and bad days! It might be tightness in the muscles or ITB, a bad nights sleep, slightly under the weather, just knackered..... important thing is not to worry about it and justy get on with the next one! (Could even just be the Garmin signal is out!)

15/10/2012 at 23:45

Razor - I'm exactly the same. Had a two great short runs on Fri/Sat but despite doing no training yesterday, todays run was very hard work. As Rafiki says, could be anything. Don't fret too much and maybe next one will be fine.

ST - 20 miles is a pretty good training run so I'll think about the cake If you really are asking for advice, then I would suggest you need a 2 week taper. So don't do any long runs i.e. more than an hour (hour and a half at most) in those last two weeks. The last 6 days before a race no more than 5 miles and give yourself two rest days before the marathon.

What Cake and Rafiki said is true, at our kind of level, it takes a couple of weeks for your legs to recover from a 20 miler and you risk injury if you try and do another 20 miles. You are better to be well rested and undertrained than overtrained and tired. 15 miles sounds ideal.

16/10/2012 at 09:06
Well done on your ride Steady and for not quitting when you wanted to. had you not met Gladys before then? How did you get away with that for so long?
16/10/2012 at 12:11

oooh, thanks cake

I will be up for the Wild Boar

not sure the dates for the others really fit into the other things I have going on in life, wondering whether the little piglet/big sow will be too soon after the half outlaw? And I was thinking of dambuster on 22nd

what do people think about packing them in so closely? Obviously the training for outlaw half will get me through the others, but would it be too much? how much recovery do you need after a middle distance?

16/10/2012 at 17:37

Happychap, I have met Gladys before, he has probably forgotten and the sight of me on Sunday was scary. I have seen the photos from it, OMG, I looked like a pink and black Michelin Lady on a bike.

16/10/2012 at 18:59

Steady

I make it a policy never to look at the photos

16/10/2012 at 20:09

cake - guess I have time to think about it and see how things go - I am guessing the boar ones won't sell out too quickly anyway

Cortina5    pirate
16/10/2012 at 21:24

Eh up!

Finally managed my longest run since Outlaw. Ran with a group here in Austria (not far from the home of IM Austria!). Turned in to a 16km pace-fest.

I had to recover with stuffed jalapenos, spicy enchilads and plenty of the local carb-drink

17/10/2012 at 10:47

Well done IronCat Hope you enjoyed your meal.

Well, true to the title of this thread, I am avoiding a full ironman and have just signed up to the Outlaw Half. Am very excited. Although a bit nervous of the cycling.

17/10/2012 at 11:06

I am in outlaw half too, also very excited. Cycling, errrr... shouldn't be too hilly, but am nervous of that bit. Will have to do lots of practising on the route

17/10/2012 at 11:51

I am in Outlaw Half, also excited and like Mathschick need to do some cycling, oh and get back running again.

Has everyone signed up for the free online Winterswim competition (also a thread on here as well), I did it last year, gives me a reason to go swimming twice a week, not just the one coached session. Base time is for 400m in any stroke, but usually fc.

17/10/2012 at 12:09

I think the thought of the half outlaw swim is going to keep me going swimming through the winter! at least it is nice and warm in the swimming pool. Not sure what the cut off time for the swim is but I want to make sure I can be comfortably inside it to give me a bit more leeway on the bike/run. After Rutland Marathon I am thinking turbo sessions every Tuesday and Thursday with a Saturday bike/turbo session depending on the weather.

17/10/2012 at 12:40

I have been doing spinning at least once a week since last xmas, love it, although now the one I go to on Weds has a rubbish trainer, she just does the same session every week, but I think it is still better to go to it as it means I do actually do it, and it coincides with the kids' swimming lesson. I used to do one on Saturday mornings, but it is the same woman that runs it, think it would do my head in - although I used to do it then head up to the gym for some weights and core work. I do need to do more core, but have started doing some core after each turbo session too

not sure about yoga

Rafiki    pirate
17/10/2012 at 12:46

Is there a secret to going form the standing pedalling position to sitting again without stopping cycling?? I can't seem to manage it - always stop pedalling when I go to sit down, which is fine on the bike outside, but was almost launched through the mirror in the gym when I tried it last night on a spinning bike!! Ruined my 'cool' image

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.