Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

7,401 to 7,420 of 15,303 messages
21/11/2012 at 18:23

I have exercises to do and I can do all 3 sports.
Physio is letting me run/walk for 20 mins twice a week to start with, building up the running as I feel able. Plenty of swimming allowed and turboing with emphasis on the upstroke of pedal not the down and keeping it even both sides but not to over do it. Muscle imbalances and tightness in the hip region are the problems and HIM is a doable goal. Although she has recommended getting a metronome app and making sure my steps are even. Will be looking for one as my next task for the evening.

Cake a pint of the black stuff is always good, even if the myths about it are just myths.

21/11/2012 at 18:31

steady - that is great news

well, been the gym and done a bit of run/walk on the treadmill - not as much as the physio said as it was all feeling a bit tight and odd, but not exactly painful. I'll leave it a couple of days tilll I have another go.

cake - enjoy the black stuff

21/11/2012 at 21:58

I have done my first little bimble as instructed 3k or 20 mins max. So I went up an unlit road for just over half a mile and back, walk with 3 jogs, keeping my form and it felt OK, the time was 23 minutes so close enough.

As a result of the above I have now entered the East Grinstead Sprint Tri in May next year.

Stretching will be done shortly, fizz says hold stretches for 1 minute and to use a watch or clock to make sure it is a minute and not less.

21/11/2012 at 23:09
Woohoo Steady. Great news
21/11/2012 at 23:27

Has anyone got a copy of 'Triathlon Swimming Made Easy: The Total Immersion Way...' that they would like to sell?

22/11/2012 at 17:54

steady, well done

back at work today, and knee is complaining a bit after turning round in the classroom, grrr, will go and do my physio exercise and get the ice once I have made the kids' food. Was going to go swimming this evening, but shattered after work and don't fancy going out in the wind again (excuses, excuses...)

will get the turbo ready for an early morning session though then can do some core as well in the morning

22/11/2012 at 19:33

Cheers Cake, looked everwhere the other night and cheapest I saw was over 20 quid.

IronCat5    pirate
22/11/2012 at 20:33

Nice one Cake. CW is my new favourite insult. Good news at last Steady!

An easy 10km run this evening. It's been a long few days for work. Pondered on which Pirates I was passing as I drove up and down the M1.I had a nice swim yesterday in the hotel though.

I also now know where the Rother Valley tri will be; a looong way from home.

Enjoy the morning turbo MC!

22/11/2012 at 20:56

Hurrah Steady, quality news... Take it 'steady' though - you see what I did there! 
Don't lose heart Maths, take it out on the turbo tomorrow. I think general weather warnings are a reasonable excuse for not going out.
How goes it Paddy? Anything exciting to report?
Hellooo Cake...
I went out for a soggy run this evening, all went well at 2mins running. Turbo in the morning before work. Starting to feel like things are certainly getting better! Might even sign up for an event soon - I know, crazy!

22/11/2012 at 21:18

Well I've joined the injury club unfortunately.  Had to skip swimming tonight, feels like a trapped nerve  or muscle spasm around my shoulder blade or something.  Might have been a hard run I did last night.  Luckily got a sports massage first thing tomorrow so that should sort it out.

Swimming progressing well.  With and without fins.  Got a great coach who doesn't overload me with things to work on.  "One thing at a time, get that right and we'll move on and build on it"

Looking forward to it now in June, rather than being terrified.

23/11/2012 at 11:54

Aw Paddy, sorry to hear that. Sure the massage will iron out the niggles! Good to hear the swimming coming on. Be interesting to see how your view of June changes as you progress.
Well, 30min turbo done. Off to work shortly, tired already. Doesn't bode well. How was your turbo this morning Maths?

IronCat5    pirate
23/11/2012 at 16:10

Thanks Cake; you should be careful making offers like that....mind you, I'm sure I can repay in black stuff! Luckily I'm back Sarf now; drove back yesterday, in to wind all the way. Shame, otherwise I would have popped in.

It was odd actually, the last time I drove up the M1 was for the Outlaw, and the time before that (Oct11) was when I accidently popped in to PlanetX and accidently bought a TT bike accidently. For some reason the kids seats were accidently left at home on that trip, accidently. I didn't realise how close Nottingham is to you guys.

23/11/2012 at 16:28

I have done 30 min turbo session, concentrating on all the things fizz told me to concentrate on, hard work but still a steady pedal.
I plan on swimming then going to the Runnning Show at Esher tomorrow, hope its better than the cycle show they had on the same day as a sportive back in the summer.

Highlight of the weekend will be meeting Dustboy and others for a flatish ride around the Surrey lanes for a couple of hours, unless the weather is too bad, in which case I will turbo in the garage.

23/11/2012 at 16:37

paddy - hope the massage sorted you out

MrsD - oops, opted for bed instead of turbo - just feeling a bit knackered cos I am back at work, I thought I might be able to fit something in this evening, but have one of the kids' friends round for tea then I have to take him home.

well, good session planned for tomorrow morning in the gym, and as I have to drop eldest boy off next door to the gym at 9, then nothing will prevent me going

23/11/2012 at 18:19

Cake, your hugs are legendry, it will be a pleasure to pass one on.

23/11/2012 at 18:20

Typical, I got the top of the page.

23/11/2012 at 20:24

Evening everyone

Sorry I've been awol for a while. But very good to hear that you are mended Steady and back to training. And that MC is kind of mended and back to work. And very sorry that Paddy is now broken

Had a great week of base training last week, but hardly done any this wekk due to sore throat, too much work, too little sleep and a Thanksgiving Turkey dinner for 15 yesterday! Plenty of home made pumpkin pie left if you want some.

Am looking forward to parkrun with my daughters in the morning and hopefully will be back to training next week.

Have a great weekend

23/11/2012 at 20:50

I haven't had pumpkin pie since I was a child, didnot really care for it, but carving the pumpkin for halloween was fun, the family grew pumpkins and marrows along with plenty of other fruit and veg on an allotment.

Enjoy parkrun, think my news years resolution may be to do at least one parkrun.

24/11/2012 at 08:04

I have never had pumpkin pie! We used to carve turnips when I was a kid - we used to have a trip to a local farmer's field with school, pick turnips and carve them. 

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/624201/gallery/halloween.jpg?width=350

24/11/2012 at 15:41

finally got my speed cadence sensor mounted on my bike - much easier than I thought. Only one problem when OH put the cable tie round the spoke as well as through the cadence sensor, oops - good job there was an extra ceble tie in the box

all ready for a turbo sufferfest tomorrow morning

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.