Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

7,621 to 7,640 of 15,597 messages
03/01/2013 at 16:21

Aha my heart rate question was caused by garmin readings towards the end of a parkrun so I'm taking it , thanks.

Managed my first exercise of the year today, just a short run my lunch hour.

Edited: 03/01/2013 at 16:22
03/01/2013 at 16:34

just signed up for the swimathon 5k, eek! better get some longer swims in...

03/01/2013 at 16:58

Oii, you will be fine with lights, just look out for all the idiot drivers and loony unlit cyclists in London.

03/01/2013 at 21:49

I will be honest Chili I am a novice in everything. The bike they keep telling me is the important bit and I am pretty much clueless. I've been a complete girl with the bad weather and stuck to my turbo. You could always get a cheap hr monitor.
Maths - that's a big old swim. Fair play.

Just done 40min turbo whilst watching latest Castle. Run tomorrow, then night shifts begin. I hate nights. Have a good weekend all!

oii
04/01/2013 at 09:33

First london ride done. was a very steady, getting lost, wobbling a bit 60 minutes.

Not sure who is more agressive the drivers or the cyclists?

It was at 6:30am and it was pretty busy, will try leaving at 6am mon-fri to give myself a (hopefully) easier time of it. Wow, so intense.

Will defo try saturday/sunday pre work and pray for quieter roads.

04/01/2013 at 09:37

well done oii, now the first one is over the rest won't seem so bad

04/01/2013 at 09:57

Top work Oii... It's bad enough round my sleepy town. We're you lit up like a Christmas tree?
Maths - followed your lead entered Swimathon. Only the 2.5 though.

oii
04/01/2013 at 10:23

i was a total christmas tree. not sure if that was the correct plan of attack though, as its constant street lights...... so i was looking at other cyclists thinking they were also christmas trees, but didnt stand out that much because of the light pollution?

hmmmmm.

04/01/2013 at 10:56

MrsD - when I started thinking about the distance when I run 5k, I started to question my sanity!!

Britrisky    pirate
04/01/2013 at 11:07
I've signed up for the 5k too - I reckon with a long toilet break in the middle I could get away with just thinking about it as a double training session
04/01/2013 at 12:11

Like you're thinking Brit... Now just reassure Maths she hasn't made a huge mistake! 
Just entered a tri on my birthday! Is that bonkers? 

04/01/2013 at 12:36

well, what is the worst that can happen? I don't manage the full 5K? but I do 4K? well, that would still be an achievement

MrsD - tri on your birthday sounds like fun!

04/01/2013 at 12:48

excited to hear your plan cake!!

04/01/2013 at 13:01

15k, blimey, my shoulders are aching just thinking about it brilliant idea though, and something to work on when running is a problem. 

04/01/2013 at 18:01

Wow! Big Plans Sounds exciting.

I did a sponsored swim last year and went for ironman distance of 2.4 miles in a simming pool. Got rather boring so I gave the guy who was counting my lengths a pot of dairy milk choc squares to pop in my mouth every 20 to keep motivated!

Lovely day today so took two of my girlies out for a bike ride. Only did 14 miles but I am kind of hoping that this is doing something to strengthen my legs as base for when I need to increase the distance. I do seem to be going very slowly. Perhaps I need to get my road bike down off the shed wall and learn how to ride that instead of my hybrid.

04/01/2013 at 18:29

Can't believe you've moved to London Oii! Well done on the bike ride!

MC/Britsky/Mrs D - nice one on the swimathon. I like the idea, would only do 2.5k but can't do fc and want to concentrate on that so maybe next year.

Britsky - tri on your birthday is perfect! Year before we went camping and up Cadar Idris on mine, which is early November. Had bit of ice on the tent in the morning...

Chili - my biking is pretty slow too so don't worry, it'll come. I'm hoping to buy road bike this year.

But OMG, did lunch time 5k and it took me 33mins!!!! 

04/01/2013 at 18:37

I would be happy with 33 minutes! Going to try to get out of bed early enough tomorrow to have breakfast and get to the nearest parkrun, see if I can manage 5k without walking or my knee complaining too much and set myself a time to improve on!

04/01/2013 at 21:42

I intend going to a wildlife trust event - Fresh air and a Fresh start, a 4 mile brisk walk (yep thats what the info says) in the morning. Hoping it will teach mesome new paths and routes to take for long runs or off road biking. I need to take a map to find the car park for the start which is down some country lane, but the best bit of the blurb is that it says including a stop for a cup of tea.
Mikasa I would be happy with 33 minutes, I am being good and keeping to the time limit set by the physio, it is working well, as now doing 2 min run, 1 min walk. Hope to increase it to 2.5 min run next week but not to increase total time. I did find today that the 5 min warm up walk is vital to stop the hip aching, I skipped it and started off jogging straight from home.

05/01/2013 at 15:03

I hate nights... Must run, must run, must run!

05/01/2013 at 16:09

Had my fresh air and fresh start walk, it was very wet underfoot in places, led by a very knowledgable ranger and nearly 20 of us. Walking was done at a slow to steady pace and the stop for tea, good. My feet stayed dry until the last 400m or so where the path was very waterlogged and by a stream and pond so ended up placing my feet on tussocks of grass and small fallen branches, but alas both feet got wet as I ran out of places to put feet that looked dry but weight when stepped on meant my feet sank into water. Distance was 5 miles due to the detours made.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.