Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

7,641 to 7,660 of 15,886 messages
05/01/2013 at 16:12

actually got to parkrun and ran all 5k without stopping to walk can't say the knee is perfect but it managed the run ok

also went to the gym to so some weights and took my eldest son for a bike ride, which was so leisurely I had to keep nagging him - at times I could have walked faster than he was cycling. it is all exercise I guess

Razor51    pirate
05/01/2013 at 17:12
26 miles on the bike with Horse yesterday, first time on it since September but felt good.Intended going to parkrun this morning but CBA took over so I'm going for a run with Horse later.

Maths...well done running the whole 5k.

Steady..... sounds like a nice walk apart from wet feet.
05/01/2013 at 17:21

well done for the bike ride Razor, I am treating my long walk as my long run that should be tomorrow and will do 1 hour on the turbo tomorrow instead.

05/01/2013 at 21:24

That sounds a good ride Razor.

MC - you do so much each day, how do you have the energy? well done on your parkrun

Steady - nice walk

Was race director at my parkrun this morning so did 1hr 30 mins run this afternoon. Laps around the small lake whilst my family played. Am finding it very tiring to combine all this cycling and running. Really hope I am truely getting fitter... just feels like I'm getting tireder! lol!

Razor51    pirate
05/01/2013 at 22:04
Well I ran 5.5 miles tonight with Horse and felt great, felt that good we really pushed the pace up in the last 2 miles , 55 mins, last 2 sub 9 mins.
Might take the bike out again tomorrow if its not chucking it down.
Chilli....well done getting your run in.
Edited: 05/01/2013 at 22:06
06/01/2013 at 18:40

I turboed this morning and now I have a pain in the bum/hip area. I have stretched it, so might have to try the roller on it, to ease the hurt.

I had been doing so well this week.

06/01/2013 at 18:57

steady - hope you are ok and it goes with a bit of rest.

I have been tired today and done nothing, but going to the club swim session tonight. Been feeling a bit achy too after the run and bike yesterday.

chili - I have been off work for two weeks, which has meant more time to exercise and less to do with the rest of my time! (apart from looking after kids and the domestic things). There will be less training this next week as I'll be back at work and knackered all week!

IronCat5    pirate
06/01/2013 at 19:23

Hi All, looks like a good weekend all round.

I had a good turbo thursday, then a fast run Friday before swimming. Knee was twinging through the run, but pushed on. Then swam in the evening. All evening it hurt to go up/down stairs, so the 2 hr bike ride may not have been a good choice...

All ok today though, but I won't ride or run until Tuesday. A swim tomorrow for me, assuming my arms have recovered!

06/01/2013 at 21:57

Cat - be careful with that knee! Mine still isn't right and it has been a few months now...

07/01/2013 at 11:54

MC - well done on your parkrun!

Steady - good to hear you're doing as the physio tells you and sounds the recovery is going well.

Razor - Nice bike ride!

Cat - be careful with that knee, no more injuries please!

We went up Pen-Y-Fan and Cribyn from Cwmgwdi car park and then traversed back from other side of Cribyn. About 11miles but my quads were pretty tight on Sunday. Still feeling them a bit but will go for a gentle lunch time run again, I think!

Razor51    pirate
07/01/2013 at 13:30
Lunchtime swim, 1200 mts in 1/2 hr might have quicker if the blue rinse crowd didn't keep swimming across the pool and stopping to talk in my lane....
07/01/2013 at 13:30

Well, I went for a run, but it wasn't gentle! I usually run with two guys, one faster, one slower, and the slower one I can easily keep up with if not push him a bit. But the slower one is on holiday this week so went with the faster one agreeing about an easy run. So off we went and almost straight away the pace was bit quick, before end of mile 1 when I check my watch we were doing 8:30 pace!!! I haven't run that fast since my PB in park run in 2010! Next mile averaged just under 10m/m and I was obviously already losing the pace going off so fast. Damn men! My new garmin (only forerunner 110) said I did 2.82mi in 27:07 which is a minute quicker than last week with the other guy. Which doesn't sound so bad until  you realise it's more than 20sec quicker pace per mile! On Wednesday, I'm going on my own.

IronCat5    pirate
07/01/2013 at 13:51

It'll do you good Mikasa!

07/01/2013 at 14:54

Yeah, in a way it was good, it definitely pushed me. I didn't know I could still run that fast, even if it was just for a bit...

Dustboy    pirate
07/01/2013 at 15:14

Well, my year of shorter tri training started well with a 5 mile run Thursday (albeit I was struggling a bit at 10.30MM which is unusual). Friday was a 45 min spin bike session at the gym followed by a half hour of core work.

Then, Saturday eve, the wheels fell off in style. Went into AF around teatime. Usually intermittent or it clears by itself after a few mins, by 10pm, it hadn't, I was in trouble and at midnight went into A&E at wifes insistence. Apparently that was the right call as (my wife tells me), I got upgraded from assessment to minor, to major, to next to the crash cart and resus. They left it going a while as my fitness meant it was used to going at that speed for long periods but in the end decided enough was enough, stuck some beta blockers in the line, then stuck some more in, then stuck some anti arrhythmias in and finally it stabilised about 3.30am.

Now on beta blockers pending rapid access cardio referral, no exercise for a week and told to do as I am told this time.

On the plus side, it showed to the wife that I just got unlucky when I flamed out at Outlaw. Wrong place at the wrong time. And at least they were able to see it this time when it didn't right itself.

So, what now? Lord H has already asked if he can have my new brilliant XC trainers. Bastard. And I am going to miss the Farnham tri swim gala on Friday.

Fingers crossed for OK to do the G3 XC on the 19th (is there a hope icon)

Finally, is there a "Fecked Off" icon?

07/01/2013 at 17:07

DB - that sounds nasty, good job you went to A&E. Make sure you do as you are told. Missing a few events now really isn't important if it means you are around longer term! There will be plenty more...

mikasa - well done

rest day for me and first day back at school and I am shattered

07/01/2013 at 17:21

((Dustboy)) I am glad you listened to the wife, but also glad that she could see that Outlaw was a wrong place wrong time event.
Please do as you are told and rest, apparently resting is an important part of training.

I have seen an icon which typed  colon poop colon with no gaps  is supposed to turn into a pile of sh1t, but of course it doesnot work on here.

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 17:22
Razor51    pirate
07/01/2013 at 18:09
Dusty....rest up mate dont take any chances with your health the doctors know best. I know how frustrating is not being able to get out there and do a bit, I was laid up for 5months last year, just do as you are told even if its hard to take.
Edited: 07/01/2013 at 18:10
07/01/2013 at 18:36
Edited: 07/01/2013 at 18:41
Razor51    pirate
07/01/2013 at 22:42
1hr run done tonight with Horse just under 6miles, 10.27min/m and stayed in Z2..
A good days training gor me run and swim done...
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.