Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

7,761 to 7,780 of 15,432 messages
21/01/2013 at 17:11

chili - you are so observant, I didn't notice!

well done on your run razor!

the GP is referring me to orthopaedics and I am seeing the physio tomorrow. It is easing a bit so hopefully it won't set me back too much. I might try a swim tomorrow after I have been to the physio if I have time to get to the pool.

I am booked on a swim smooth course on Sunday so I am determined to be ok to go to that!

Razor51    pirate
21/01/2013 at 17:13
Steady....I cropped my pic cos ive got no shorts on ;-D. It took nearly a week to show up on here.
21/01/2013 at 17:23

no shorts

21/01/2013 at 18:26

Wow, no shorts, that would be a pic.

Mathschick, take it steady, no breast stroke legs with a dodgy knee, front and back crawl only if you do swim.

21/01/2013 at 19:07

steady - I haven't done breast stroke for ages now - all front crawl. I have no idea whether I can do back crawl

21/01/2013 at 20:58

Back crawl is good at the end to unwind the shoulders a bit.

IronCat5    pirate
21/01/2013 at 22:18

I saw the pic Razor, and thought it was Horse!

I like to do backstroke at the end to unwind my arms, otherwise I unravel like an elastic toy I tried old english backstroke: fly arms and breaststroke legs.

2km swum tonight with the club. Too much faff in the lane.

22/01/2013 at 08:52

Another bit of snow but just a dusting and as the ice melted yesterday, I cycled to work in my slicks. I have no other tyres and mtb doesn't have lights. Was too achey to go to training last night so it was a rest day.

Razor51    pirate
22/01/2013 at 14:11
I think you'll have noticed he's a bit bigger than me.
Rafiki    pirate
22/01/2013 at 14:19

yes I believe he won the prize for that at the Outlaw last year!

22/01/2013 at 16:42

IronCat - Old english backstroke, I do mine at the end but do crawl legs, have to time the breathing right as I bob up and down a lot, but feels very relaxing and nice and slow for a cool down.
It is a recognised stroke in masters swimming (adults), oh and another bit of trivia, someone set a record for swimming the English Channel doing butterfly the whole way.

Edited: 22/01/2013 at 16:42
22/01/2013 at 17:14

can't do butterfly at all, and it looks exhausting, 

knee not too bad today, have been to physio who reckons it is the way I run so I am booked in with another of the physios there for a run assessment

not going to run this week at all, but will probably turbo. Got to make sure I am ok for Sunday and the swim smooth thing. Got the programme for the day - it runs from 8:30 till 5 so a pretty full day. It will take about an hour to get there too, so will have to be up really early for a Sunday!

Razor51    pirate
22/01/2013 at 18:50
Lunchbox comes to mind Raf

4.5 mile run tonight didnt feel good, the first mile was a struggle. 10.08min/m avg so not too bad, didnt use my HR monitor but I'm sure my HR was up above Z2.., it was tough but another session ticked off
22/01/2013 at 22:20

Evening

Well done on the swims and runs. Razor - are you running outside? The roads and pavements here are a horrible mixture of thick slush and ice.

MC - hope you get 'fixed' soon!

Its my birthday today so I have lovely cake to share if anyone would like a piece.

Went to my first circuits class last night. Was great fun (although I couldn't climb the rope ). Then stationary bike and then cross trainer. Not aching too badly today. But can't afford gym membership so won't be going again. A friend took me as her guest.

Today was swim. Tomorrow is supposed to be long bike ride but only the main roads are clear and I never cycle on them because of the horrendous traffic! So not sure what I shall do.

Razor51    pirate
22/01/2013 at 22:25
Chilli..I'm running on the roads but got to be careful with the ice in places, dont you just love circuits.;-)
IronCat5    pirate
22/01/2013 at 22:32

Ran outside again. Should have been a nice tempo run, but with the snow we decided to go XC. Then we changed our minds again and ran around town. A bit more grip on the fresh snow.

We used to do circuits, then get a chinese on the way home.

23/01/2013 at 08:33

chili - swap the bike for a run? I am guessing you haven't got a turbo because you could do that instead. or take the bike off road (did you say it was a hybrid?) and do a shorter ride along a trail? (it will be harder work which is why I am saying a shorter ride)

23/01/2013 at 10:36

Chili - Happy birthday for yesterday!!

IronCat5    pirate
23/01/2013 at 11:35

Oops - missed Chili's birthday. Sorry! You share it with my son who was 5 yesterday.

23/01/2013 at 15:02

Hi everyone

Thanks for the well wishes

Not doing so well with the training. The pavements are covered in ice and lethal. Only the main roads are clear and they are too busy to run on! The grass verges around the town are also craters of ice.

So i decided to get my road bike down from the wall of the garage and dust it off. I haven't really ever ridden it cos I bought it in the sale last winter and then decided to run marathons all year! lol!

So i gingerly cycled down to the bike shop and bought a comfortable saddle that I can sit on and a back mud guard. Did about 7 miles using the drop handle bars for the first time. Was very relieved to arrive back home in one piece. Guess it is just the case of practise and getting used to it.

Trying to snow again here right now

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.