Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

7,781 to 7,800 of 15,801 messages
23/01/2013 at 16:06

I did my 1500m swim time for Winterswim, managed 38.47, lane was not too busy so didnot have to slow down or stop for anyone else.
Since then have had a sore throat and cough. Not doing a 30 min turbo in the garage, breathing harder is just going to make me cough more. Used my inhaler as wasnot sure if the cough was asthma playing up or not. Also feeling tight and wheezy so will probably have a rest and look after myself. I will not be pleased if this turns into a cold.

IronCat5    pirate
23/01/2013 at 18:04

Well done Steady. Good time. Chili - you're crazy riding a road bike in this! Well done though.

Did a cheeky 6km in the woods at lunch. Hard to get a quality run with the snow and ice. I guess it's about maintenance for the moment.

23/01/2013 at 18:58

steady - nice time for your swim, well done. Rest up and hope you stay well

chili - you are brave!! I haven't been outside on my bike for ages...

23/01/2013 at 21:17

Chili - you're mad riding on the roads at the moment. I havenot been outside on my bike since begining of December.

Making a hot lemon and honey drink after posting this, then off to bed for an early night. 

Dustboy    pirate
23/01/2013 at 23:15

When I get myself sorted from the quacks, I want to do a few training rides for "shorter tri". Not long languishing ones, but short snappy ones, intervals, lumps and a few "getting a shift on" rides, probably around 20 miles.

Would be great to catch up with a few like minded bods when it's a bit warmer and see if  we can't help each other out with a bit of light hearted motivational abuse.

Steady, Cat5, you in? Anyone else?

IronCat5    pirate
23/01/2013 at 23:38
Hell yeah DB!
Rafiki    pirate
24/01/2013 at 08:05

I'll come along so I can sit on Cat's wheel and get pulled along.....again

Dustboy    pirate
24/01/2013 at 09:50

I can't believe I ever went fast enough that someone had to sit on Cat's wheel to keep up! Actually, I probably wasn't there that day...

IronCat5    pirate
24/01/2013 at 10:04
I don't think so Rafi...
24/01/2013 at 10:41

I will be interested.
Got to get rid of this bug that has floored me, just woke up to the sound of the doorbell. I will be doing nowt until next week, and heading off under the duvet again, typing this has worn me out, everthing aches. 

24/01/2013 at 10:55

Chili - well done on your bike ride.

Steady - nice swim time! I forgot to enter winterswim this year. I can't even remember when I've last been in the pool.

I've only cycled to work this week, about 44miles and done nothing else. That's it for this month though as off to my sister's wedding in Finland tomorrow. See you all next month!

24/01/2013 at 20:20

Evening

Oh Steady, do take care of yourself.

I have actually been quite enjoying my bike rides outside  - usually I go down the tow-path but that is snowed/iced over. But the roads I went on yesterday were town roads that I would normally cycle on and they are clear now.

Just did pilates today, but am hoping to run tomorrow - just not sure what route/surface yet.

24/01/2013 at 20:26

steady - take care, lots of rest and fluids. Go to the dr if it lasts much longer

mikasa - have a lovely time in Finland

managed 20 mins turbo and a swim today. I had to get out after 30 mins though, the lane was congested enough but it was ok, although I was stuck behind someone slow with no chance to overtake, but it wasn't too slow, then some stupid women doing ridiculously slow breaststroke came into the medium lane.  there are 2 slow lanes, so there was no need for that! anyway, at least I got a swim in, did 1.2k in the 30mins which considering I was held up by others isn't too bad - fast enough to meet the cut off anyway for the HIM. 

IronCat5    pirate
24/01/2013 at 21:44

Good swim Maths, despite the aged obstacles. Well done. Recover quickly Steady.

DB - I'll dig the Pirbright TT routes out

Just done 1 hour turbo. 4 x 10min intervals, each in the aero position. Even with all the windows open and the heating off I need a bigger fan.

Dustboy    pirate
24/01/2013 at 23:00

Pirbright TT is 10 miles. I know the course anyway. Or we can make our own.

25/01/2013 at 07:54

we are due heavy snow again this evening, hoping to get to the pool again before it comes!

25/01/2013 at 10:07

DB I would be happy to do the winter ride route again, challenging enough for me and not too far.

Flu feeling has left me, just a hacking cough that sounds like a 80 cigs a day habit, but will take care, no point in doing anything that stops long term plans. Plus no energy to do more than make a cup of tea.

Maths your fine for your swim, I find when held up in a lane to go slow and concentrate on technique or do drills, then its not so frustrating.

Dustboy    pirate
25/01/2013 at 10:37

Actually, the second lap of the winter ride route is mostly the Pirbright TT. Lets get the white stuff off the floor first and I'll see if I can't rustle up a date or two soon as I am fixed.

For those who didn't come, it was about 20 miles, first lap couple of uppy downy bits, nothing to get out of the saddle for, great slalom through Mytchett and second lap flat and a lovely 5 mile long slow descent on nice quietish wide rural roads. 

25/01/2013 at 17:19

It was 20 miles DB, my Garmin said so. No rush for a date yet, I will need time to get back into training.
Been signed off from the physio, but told to go back to basics and start again for training once the bug has gone, as no point in stressing out my body and wrecking it.

25/01/2013 at 17:29

that's good steady that you are signed off from the physio

finished work late and shattered so came straight home, snow due soon so not going anywhere I think. Knee needs resting from being on my feet all day at school anyway

can't wait for this milder weather to come

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.