Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

7,821 to 7,840 of 15,369 messages
IronCat5    pirate
29/01/2013 at 21:35

Evening all.

Chili - get on the road bike!

11km with the club tonight. Tried to keep it in Z2 then did some pick-ups. 5 x 1min at race pace with 1min recovery. Good training benefit but not so knackering in the legs.

Maths, sounds like a great day.

30/01/2013 at 11:02

Cat - I'm still not very confident on my road bike and yesterday i was riding along the canal. Some parts of the path are quite muddy, will my road bike manage it without slipping? I guess the only way to find out is to try.

Short run done this morning on legs still a bit wobbley from yesterday's long (for me) bike ride.

30/01/2013 at 11:45

chili - so long as you don't actually fall into the canal clipped onto your road bike you will be fine! I like your idea for cycling to Cambridge and back.

30/01/2013 at 16:42

I sucumbed to the lure of the outdoors and sunshine, I went for a brisk walk for 30 minutes approx. feel better but tired having done so.
I have looked at my training plan and rejigged it to start properly again on Monday, going to take it easy for the first week then try upping the long bike rides, although if the weather is still rough I can see myself on the turbo.

31/01/2013 at 08:45

ok, have turboed today, am going to attempt a little treadmill run/walk later and a swim in the evening

31/01/2013 at 19:07

I have attempted the turbo, very gentle session, lots of sitting up to aid the breathing and managed to get to 29 minutes before coughing. So I stopped at 30 mins, felt quite tiring and have definitely exercised the lungs.

Mr Steady is off to the osteopath to be straightened out, so half an hour to myself then cook dinner and sit infront of TV for the rest of the evening.

Tomorrow I plan to try a little run/walk.

31/01/2013 at 20:06

steady - sounds like you are not fully recovered so take things slowly

erm, in the pool this evening felt like I had never learnt to swim at all - probably the awareness of ALL the things that are wrong with my swimming - must focus on one thing at a time

tried a bit of forefoot striking running on the treadmill - kept my shoes on because I really couldn't be bothered with the faff of taking them off and putting them on,, but not convinced this is the way for me. knee starting aching and then the calf on the other leg too, so didn't do much!

IronCat5    pirate
31/01/2013 at 20:31

Hi All.

I see your point Chili. No point in trashing the bike or falling in the canal for the sake of riding the road bike, though you'll have to get out on it at some point.

Sounds like you're still under the weather Steady.

Maths, I learnt to run midfoot, but it did hurt the calves when I moved from the heel. I went too far forward to the toes and that really kills.

Rest day today for my mini taper.

Dustboy    pirate
31/01/2013 at 20:38

I am jealous though I have made a couple of run walks and 20 minute girlie turbos at slow speed. I am so grateful for anything I can get at the moment!

IronCat5    pirate
31/01/2013 at 20:56
Dustboy wrote (see)

I am jealous though I have made a couple of run walks and 20 minute girlie turbos at slow speed. I am so grateful for anything I can get at the moment!

Great to hear DB. You're on the up!

31/01/2013 at 21:42

Evening

Well done to everyone who has managed a turbo

Cat - what are you tapering for?

Only managed pilates class today. Long slow run tomorrow. Hoping the wind dies down a bit and I hope to do about 10 miles.

31/01/2013 at 22:26

DB even I am happy with a girlie turbo at present.

Yes,  good question Chili, Cat what race are you doing? Is it a duathlon?

Razor51    pirate
31/01/2013 at 22:47
Well done DB, a little is better than nothing but take care, as for me ive done nowt for 10 days due to bad chest and the snots, im hoping to get out for a run on Saturday all being well.
IronCat5    pirate
31/01/2013 at 22:59

Get well soon Razor.

Saturday is a sprint Du 5k run/20k bike/5k run at Dorney lake. Using it as a tune up for the Althorp Du in 2 weeks..

Dustboy    pirate
31/01/2013 at 23:04

Cat, wot info u got on Saturdays Du. If I get a chance, I might come along and hurl some abuse! You know, "get a move on you fat shite, why are you riding a shopper, call that running?" sort of stuff. If you would like me to, that is!

IronCat5    pirate
31/01/2013 at 23:06
Dustboy wrote (see)

Cat, wot info u got on Saturdays Du. If I get a chance, I might come along and hurl some abuse! You know, "get a move on you fat shite, why are you riding a shopper, call that running?" sort of stuff. If you would like me to, that is!

Please - come along! Kick off is 0930 at the cheap end of Dorney. If you don't get there until 1045 it might be over... There is a burger van

Dustboy    pirate
31/01/2013 at 23:09

10.45? 'Ave a larf. Doubt you'll be at T1 by then! ROFLMAO!

Is that the usual end near the clubhouse that human race uses?

Gonna be cold, will you be pirated up?

I'll see what I can do.

IronCat5    pirate
01/02/2013 at 06:36
It'll be at the other end of Dorney. Full PSOF regalia.
01/02/2013 at 08:06

so now wondering whether midfoot or forefoot would be better to try to transition to after looking at a few things on the internet.

Doner Kebab    pirate
01/02/2013 at 09:13

maths - dont try to decide on either - what feels best at the time, i run forefoot (right up there on my toes) for distances up to about 10 to 13 miles but after that my form 'drops' to mid foot, in an ultra i try to start with mid foot from the start so to save my calves. Its all bullocks anyway, heels striking is only bad if your heel strikes in front of your centre of gravity and these tribes that have been studied - its now been found that lots of them dont land on their forefoot at a cruising speed but are mid foot strikers. im not sure what you have read on the net so im probably telling you stuff you already know.

Also my strike alters with speed, once i get under about 6mph its more of a mid foot and going over 12mph for sprints is definately on the toes - i actually crossed the line of a recent half mara at 16mph on my toes overtaking a load of people on the finish straight, got a nice round of applause for that

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.