Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

7,921 to 7,940 of 15,821 messages
IronCat5    pirate
14/02/2013 at 16:51
Razor51 wrote (see)
Cat .... If you don't go to the wedding you will get loads of ear ache off her indoors.

2K swim done at lunchtime in 41 minutes .

I could make the reception...?

2kmin 41 minutes?? Were you drafting Meldy? have you been secretly training?

Edited: 14/02/2013 at 16:54
14/02/2013 at 18:21

Wow Razor, that is really impressive!

Mmmm, wedding or race? Very difficult decision to make....

Just pilates today. Am hoping to do a long run tomorrow, but I have to finish an essay and it's my Smidge's 6th birthday.

14/02/2013 at 18:53

mikasa - I live near Nottingham, snow has just about gone now

been to see the knee consultant today, he is referring me for an mri and says that depending on what that shows it will either be an injection or keyhole surgery

cat - difficult one about the wedding. How far is the wedding from the race? could you make it?? how much hassle would it be and how unhappy would OH be? depends who is getting married and how close to them you are I guess

Razor51    pirate
14/02/2013 at 19:43
We (& Horse) did St Annes tri last year on his daughter's ( my grandaughter) christening day, we made it back home by the skin of our teeth much to the relief of our other halves.......

Cat... was just banging out the lengths and didnt look at my watch until i'd finished, surprised myself.
Edited: 14/02/2013 at 19:46
14/02/2013 at 21:54

I have turboed again, this time for an hour, my backside knows about it alright at the time.

Silly question to ask but, do I need to put some oil on the chain as the bike is used indoors? Have done about 100 miles since its service back end of last year.

I had to take a diversion on the way home from swimming and have found a nice quiet residential road with a massive hill to practice on, it bends as well so you can't see when its going to finish, think it must be nearly a mile long. So now I have somewhere to practice hills without causing traffic holdups when I need to get off and walk or go so slow and wobble. Well I will once I know the weather is going stay relatively warm.

Edited: 14/02/2013 at 21:54
15/02/2013 at 09:41

steady - I have been thinking I should probably oil the chain, but then I couldn't find the oil I bought

I am thinking I ought to take mine for a service actually, before I start using it outdoors

15/02/2013 at 09:44

100 miles? A bit early for a service, I think. Are you missing a zero?

Rafiki    pirate
15/02/2013 at 10:41

Steady - yes, I would put a little oil on your chain every now and again, even on the turbo - but not too much as it will 'fly' off all over carpets, walls, sleeping dogs etc

15/02/2013 at 11:08

MC - I hope the MRI shows up something that is easily fixed for you.

15/02/2013 at 11:26

Saddle on my mtb is a lot harder and more uncomfortable than the one on my hybrid. Might have to buy another one if I ever want to do longer mtb rides again.

15/02/2013 at 17:01

OK, thanks for the replies, I will put a drop of oil on tomorrow. MC I got mine serviced at the end of the year and when I got the spare turbo wheel.

I have looked at doing a sportive near me in April, but do not like one of the hills on the route, mainly because I know it from driving it. I have cycled down it once,  which was quite scary but never up and there is no footpath on the up side of the road if I need to bail out and walk or stop and long sections of it have two continuous white lines in the centre, so that tells you it has some danger even for motorists. So I might do the route on my own but cut out that part and do an extra climb of Box Hill instead.

15/02/2013 at 18:12

decided I had better start doing some walking training for the walks at the end of triathlons, so did 30mins on the treadmill with incline set and threw in a four 1 min runs just to get the legs working

15/02/2013 at 18:27

Mikasa, comfy saddles are essential.

Haven't done my long run yet today cos I had to finish an assignment before kids are off for half-term. Did it! Now it is my Smidgies 6th birthday. Might go late tonight.

15/02/2013 at 18:39

MC, good idea of doing some walk training, I nipped out and did 45 mins of fast walking with 3 little runs in it. Managed just under 3 miles and all Z1 with a bit of Z2 so it was a workout.

15/02/2013 at 19:12

think I need to walk a bit quicker though, had the treadmill set at 6kmh, that puts me at nearly 4 hours for a half mara

or need to cycle really quickly...

15/02/2013 at 21:11

Nice walking ladies. Only managed a walk myself this eve just because it got so late and if I run at this time I won't sleep! Took my No.3 girl with me though and we had a lovely time together.

15/02/2013 at 21:33

Have just been reading the provision race rules for the Outlaw Half and I'm a bit scared.

The race starts in waves from 6.30am - 6.55am. The cut off is 8am (1hr 5 mins after the final wave). Then the cut off for the bike is 12.15pm and for the run is 16.00.

I can do the swim (I think!) and the run. But I'm not sure I can bike that fast Please tell me I will get quicker as the weather gets better and I train more.

15/02/2013 at 22:04

Now you have told me that, I am wibbling Chili, I am not sure I can bike fast enough. Hopefully we will all get quicker with practice.

16/02/2013 at 08:05

chili - that is about 14mph, it is not a hilly route, you will be able to. I have found when I have done sprint tris last year my speed averaged at about 15mph, and that was off the back of very little cycle training. I know it is further, but you are already up to about 20 miles and we still have a fair few months.

I think the women go last, don't we? so the fast men actually have longer to do it all and meet the cutoffs

anyway, gives me a good 4 hours for the 'run' and I am sure if I am a bit after 4pm they will let me finish - all the tris I did last year were with this company and they are very good, and very nice

16/02/2013 at 13:48

I think I need to practice being aero as much as possible, last years full Outlaw was wet and windy.
I have turboed again, 1.5 hours at 10.1mph, hope that when I go out in the real world I find its a little bit faster. I did over an hour in the middle chain ring and only slowed down during the last 10 minutes. Finding my wrists and neck aches but with practice that should lessen.

Tomorrow I help out at running club beginners session, so I know I can do that OK, it starts with a run/walk.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.