8,001 to 8,020 of 13,840 messages
28/02/2013 at 09:42

legs are just important, tri or not

I have a date for my mri - Sunday 10th march at 7:15 at night - weird

28/02/2013 at 09:45
mathschick wrote (see)

legs are just important, tri or not

I have a date for my mri - Sunday 10th march at 7:15 at night - weird

Would that happen to be at the 'doctors' house by any chance?

28/02/2013 at 17:37

Mathschick, sounds like you have an efficient hospital making the most of an expensive to buy and install scanner. The top UK hospitals all use CT and MRI scanners at least 8am to 8pm 5 days a week many with even longer hours and weekends.

28/02/2013 at 17:54

I think it is mobile scanner - funny because someone from the tri club said her husband had a scan on a Sunday night, must be time when they come to the local hopsital, and she said it was in the back of a truck. 

However, the hospital trust has been severely criticised over the cost of a new hospital it built and is also on the list of trusts with high death rates, although obviously there can be all kinds of reasons for that

anyway, a sunday scan means I don't have to time off work so that is good

28/02/2013 at 18:14

Most hospitals use mobile MRI scanners, they are very very expensive and the regular scan is a CT one, which is used very frequently so all hospitals will have one. MRI's show up soft tissue ie muscles etc better. I know of private hospitals also using a mobile scanner. They are the same large size lorry as the mobile breast screening units.

28/02/2013 at 18:18

should be an interesting experience - I hope I get to see the images!

28/02/2013 at 21:22

I would like to see mine if I had it done. My Xrays from my broken wrist were pretty awesome, even I could count 3 out of the 4 breaks.
I need an expert to point out the finer details on scans, it has always amazed me how all the body is squeezed in such a small compact space but works OK. Part of my job involves reading the text reports that go with the scans.

IronCat5    pirate
28/02/2013 at 21:28

It is all about the bike, until you get off and have to run. Then it's about the run. You'll be fine Chili.

Hope the MRI helps MC. I was amazed t'other year when I had an x-ray and they showed me the images directly afterwards. None of this waiting for days thing!

28/02/2013 at 21:40

I always think X-rays look so fun. My Smidge shut her fingers in the car door last year and they were very squashed so she had her hand x-rayed. The lovely nurse printed her a paper copy to take into school the next day to show all her class mates. They weren't broken by the way, just bruised.

Pilates class today and then 1 mile run with one of my teenagers this evening before youth group started.

01/03/2013 at 12:21

Ok, so I just want to give up!

Had a good start to the week.
Monday lunch - run, evening - vb training with fitness
Tuesday - Shred dvd
Wednesday  lunch - run, evening - vb disaster!

Had warmed up by running about 5mins and then our coach wanted us to do a stupid deep squat jumping exercise (so keeping in the deep squat position the whole way) that was also against the other team. It was 5x 9m, plus involved normal jumping too. Well, I'm competitive so went all out (and we did win, what a small consolation) but after the last one, I just felt my quads go, totally seize up. Is that called a strain? Anyway, couldn't do anything were my legs needed to be bent after that. I tried to keep moving and stretching but probably should've gone straight home.

When I got home, I had a freezing cold bath for about 15mins. Next morning legs felt better but still bloody battered. However, by lunch time at work, they'd seized up and I couldn't walk properly and going down stairs was a nightmare. Didn't have another cold bath but sprayed some cold spray and just rested.Oh, I did have a hot bath as well just to relax the muscles. Well,that didn't help, they are worse today than they were yesterday. What should i do? Should I keep treating them with cold? It's an absolute nightmare. I was supposed to have a match tomorrow that I can't do now and one on Sunday which is unsure until I can get control of my quads again.

Edited: 01/03/2013 at 12:23
01/03/2013 at 15:52

Ouch Mikasa, thats sounds as bad as my first spinning class when my quads went solid. I would definitely rest and not try to do the match on Sunday, it took me about a week to recover. Keep icing and stretch as much as it will allow. If you ever wanted to know how your legs might feel after a marathon, now you know. I even took a lift just for one floor to avoid any stairs, but did short frequent gentle walks.

IronCat5    pirate
01/03/2013 at 15:56

I fel t abit like that after we did lunges on a hill session. Never again.

01/03/2013 at 17:23

mikasa - ouch, rest up and foam roller?

well, starting to feel a bit better after this awful cold, so hoping that an early night tonight will mean that I will make swimming in the morning. Haven't done anything since Sunday

01/03/2013 at 19:48

Ouch Mikasa, that does sound painful. Can you take Ibuprofen? Don't know if it will help but just a thought.

Well, my week has been plagued with headaches, migranes and sleeplessness, so I'm feeling a rough and a bit spacy. But I have just done a 10 mile run. And I have parkrun in the morning.

01/03/2013 at 20:17

Thanks guys.

Steady - I had to take the lift down one floor today too, there was no way I was going to walk down.

MC - hope you kick the cold soon and get to your swimming.

Chili - oh dear, that doesn't sound too good  either. Well done on the run!

Unfortunately, I'll have to go to the match now as someone else just pulled out and we only have the minimum number. I did warn the coach though that I might just be there to make numbers on court and not do anything. 

On my first two long runs my legs were pretty smashed but nothing like this, this is totally different. Must try to do bit of stretching and ice later. Had a cold bath again as find that works better.

01/03/2013 at 22:20

I've been looking at last years results for the race I'm doing in April, 26 people did it, 8 men and 18 women...I'd have never thought that boys would be in the minority!

When I entered I was asked to put in my estimated times for the swim.  I put in a really slow time (16 minutes) because I was struggling in the pool.  It's starting to click now and I'm down to 11 minutes for 16 lengths and I'm hoping to get it under 10 minutes by the race day...should I email the organisers and say I put the wrong time in or doesn't it matter?

pete_inthehills

01/03/2013 at 22:34

When you register in plenty of time on the day, tell them you have improved and what time you now do, they will either move your start time or not worry as the others will probably have also improved their times to a greater or lesser degree. They ask for the time so they can roughly allocate people in the pool of a similar speed. If the really fast ones went with slow ones, there would be so much overtaking it would be dangerous and or frustrating.
The etiquette in a pool race is that if you are much faster and catch the person in front, tap their toes and at the end of the length they should stop and let you go past. It keeps it safe for all the swimmers as there are normally 3 per lane, set off at 20 second intervals.

Razor51    pirate
01/03/2013 at 22:41
1K Swim at lunchtime in 21.34 getting to grips with it now and feeling better
01/03/2013 at 23:04
Ok, another silly question...how does the swimming start? Do i dive in? Or start in the pool?
I will need to practise diving in if thats the start method
Dustboy    pirate
02/03/2013 at 00:00

All the sprint starts I have seen/done have been started in the pool. There are usually other people in the lane and they don't want you crashing down on them. You all queue up at the side of the pool, jump or go down the steps to get in one at a time, hold on to the side, look up to the starter, he says 5,4,3,2,1 go and off you go.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.