Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,061 to 8,080 of 15,124 messages
06/03/2013 at 22:42
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

In other news, I have qualified as a GB age-grouper for the European sprint duathlon champs in Holland! Saturday's pain was worth it!

I know I'm still new to all of this, but this sounds rather impressive, even to me!  Congratulations!

IronCat5    pirate
06/03/2013 at 23:01

Cheers!

06/03/2013 at 23:33

WoooHooo!!! Go, Go Cat!!!! That is amazing news. Congratulations

07/03/2013 at 08:24

Congratulations Cat. Does this mean a family holiday and championship race all in one.

I have swum this morning, very pleasant 4 in the lane all similar speeds. No getting in each others way, had a tap on the foot, got to the end of the length and let the swimmer past with a thanks called out. Did a mile in 41 mins then just did a cool down.

07/03/2013 at 08:30

morning

yes, did a sufferfest turbo last night - I did feel a bit guilty sticking a plate of food in front of my youngest son and going off to turbo in a different room (he wouldn't have appreciated the open windows if I had been in the same room).

then a gentle turbo this morning, so gentle I did 9 miles in an hour. Parents evening tonight but hoping I will be up for a brisk walk when I get home - I'll need some fresh air after being stuck in the stagnant sweat pit that is parents evening for 3 hours

07/03/2013 at 14:50

Wow Ironcat! Check you out!!!

07/03/2013 at 17:04
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
Dustboy wrote (see)

Top bombing mon brave, do you get one of those natty Team GB one piece trisuits now?

Merci beaucoup! AG suits are like the elite ones, but only one union flag.

I owe you a beer too DB - it's entirely your fault for dragging me round the Surrey Hills that first time.

Fantastic going Cat - great work - nice to see one of the gang make good

And Dustie - what's this I hear on the tomtoms that you've been passed fit to come out and play again?  So so pleased for you

07/03/2013 at 19:33

wow, cat, well done

shattered after parents evening so the sofa it is for me tonight

07/03/2013 at 21:18

I went out on the bike at lunch on a very hilly section to match the course in April...I'm just trying to download the data from my garmin but it's playing up.  I think it was ok, but it felt really slow in places.  Although I did get that funny legs feeling when walking my bike back to the office which I think is a good sign.  It meant I was trying...

Afterwards I tried one of those fancy recovery shakes.  I'd got it free with something...it was supposed to be strawberry flavour...supposed to be...I don't think I'll be buying it.

pete_inthehills

07/03/2013 at 21:44

MC, I felt the same after an early swim this morning. I did a mile in 41 mins. Tiring day in meetings, done the chores but too tired to spin the legs on the turbo. Shoulders aching.

Pete inthehills - I tried a strawberry flavoured drink, now I just stick to chocolate milkshake, much nicer. Good work on the hills.

IronCat5    pirate
07/03/2013 at 21:51

Nesquick tonight after my run.

Dustboy    pirate
07/03/2013 at 22:05

Second bike tonight. Yay! Average went up by .5mph. Yay! Might do Frimley Parkrun Saturday. Cat5, might you be there (or is that too lowly for you?).

IronCat5    pirate
07/03/2013 at 22:10
Dustboy wrote (see)

Second bike tonight. Yay! Average went up by .5mph. Yay! Might do Frimley Parkrun Saturday. Cat5, might you be there (or is that too lowly for you?).

To quote MrsCat "No you can't, tell him to sod off". So I guess not

08/03/2013 at 00:03

Oh dear Cat - not under the cosh are you?

08/03/2013 at 08:15

Lol, this made me laugh as I had a similar conversation with "her in-doors" about my training...I have to do my training during my lunch hour or while the family are in bed...6.30am 20K cycle anybody...?

Luckily living up here in Aberdeenshire we'll soon be having daylight from 3am to 11pm so there will be plenty of time for training whilst everyone is in bed...

IronCat5    pirate
08/03/2013 at 08:37
PO.dds: feel the fear, do it anyway wrote (see)

Oh dear Cat - not under the cosh are you?

No, no, no, yes. To be fair, we're trying to sell the house, so have to host viewings, do viewings, spend time with kids, etc. Plus last weekend was complicated. And I've just told her how much the AG trip will cost

pete_inthehills wrote (see)

Lol, this made me laugh as I had a similar conversation with "her in-doors" about my training...I have to do my training during my lunch hour or while the family are in bed...6.30am 20K cycle anybody...?

Luckily living up here in Aberdeenshire we'll soon be having daylight from 3am to 11pm so there will be plenty of time for training whilst everyone is in bed...

No if it was flat 20km would be quite quick, but oop North? Maybe not... I was in Inverness one April and the early/lat light was interesting. A week in Finland in July was less impressive and slightly more tiring!

Once the clocks went forward last spring I was out at 6am most mornings running or cycling. Do it for a week or so and it becomes habit. Most of the IM trainng was done before breakfast, during lunch or late at night.

08/03/2013 at 09:43

Well done Mr Cat, that is highly impressive. Congrats all round. DB continues his comeback. Good work gentlemen!
MC - hope the knee holding up. OH has promised me some sufferfest, I think I'm pleased? 

Long days and tiredness scuppered Wed and yesterday. Need to crack on not too many weeks left till Cotswold. 
Mikasa - how's the injuries coming along?

Dustboy    pirate
08/03/2013 at 09:52

So, Cat5, how can we get you faster then to properly do well. Relay bike rides? 5 riders. Each one goes 2 miles flat out in turn and you have to keep up with all of them?

I think Barhatch Lane must become part of your repping. It goes up a lot. For a lot, well, forever actually.

Relay 3 * 400s in Thorpe Lake? Each one does one lap, except you, who has to do all of them.

08/03/2013 at 13:29

Afternoon

Well done DB. And hope your first parkrun back goes well too.

Bet Aberdeenshire is pretty.

Cat - I'm sure your wife is very proud of you but trying to train around young children/family life is a real challenge isn't it?

This morning a friend asked me to go out cycling with her. it was pretty slow cos she was on a mountain bike. But I did 20 hilly miles.

08/03/2013 at 18:25

hi

MrsD - I love the sufferfest workouts/videos. My current favourite is downward spiral

pete - I do most of my training very early, easiest way to fit it in around family and work. 

I did 30 mins of run 2 walk 2 on the treadmill, think the knee is ok with that, but will foam roller and massage my knee later so that it is happy for swimming. I am trying to get a bit of a balance between trying to do a little bit of running if it feels ok and not aggravating it to pevent me cycling and swimming

I got the new Fink Book - strength training and nutrition for endurance athletes, and tried to do some of the exercises in the gym, but realised I wasn't entirely sure how to do some of them properly (hadn't taken the book with me, had scribbled on a bit of paper). Will try to google some videos later to see if I can figure out, and practice at home with OH watching to see if I am doing the same as the video - should be amusiing

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.