Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,081 to 8,100 of 15,163 messages
08/03/2013 at 18:26

Well done Chili, I have forgotten what hills are. I tried to do the session I skipped yesterday, Finks 1 hour 90+ cadence in HR zone 1. I managed 45 mins then the shin started aching, so I stopped. Bit pissed off as I thought I had got rid of shin pains.

Tomorrow is a rest day, FiL visit but will be busy enough, putting up a curtain rail and doing some garden clearing.

Hope to do my long ride on Sunday.

08/03/2013 at 18:33

weather forecast here is freezing and snow for Sunday, and we are orienteering with scouts at 10 am, so I think my long ride is going to be on the turbo - shame as I really wanted to be outside by March, but I am not risking it on icy roads in the dark early morning

08/03/2013 at 18:38

MC, good point, my weather forecast is just cold, so I will probably turbo, then I am helping out a couple of ladies from the running club on their 18 mile long run, by being at a certain point to make sure they take the correct path and not get lost and so ending up doing an unintentional 20. At least I get to run with them for a mile, we can have a good gossip.

I really need to get out on the roads, my duathlon is on the 24th.

08/03/2013 at 18:40

my first tri is in April - I really hope the weather starts to improve soon

08/03/2013 at 19:17

Aberdeenshire can be nice.  Clear cold nights, no sound or light pollution, millions of stars and occasionally the northern lights flicker over head.  And in the summer, day light all day, the hills are lovely.  But on the cloudy winter days when it never seems to get light or blizzards hit and the drifts are bigger than the car, then it's less nice until I'm home by the fire.  And last summer it never stopped raining...

does everyone have a turbo trainer?

08/03/2013 at 19:58

I have a turbo which I was given last summer but I have never used it. First of all the christmas tree was in the place I would have set it up. Then we got a piano from freecycle so I have braved the cold and wind and rain instead. But I do live down near London and not Scotland.

MC - does Fink say anything interesting on nutrition?

08/03/2013 at 20:05

chili - haven't read it all yet, but yes, and there is a chapter called 'no excuses - just get lean'. Pretty sure I shouldn't be eating cake but never mind

IronCat5    pirate
08/03/2013 at 20:12

Pete, this quarter was about sitting on the turbo and getting some bike 'hurt'. I've gone through my log and see that I've ridden outside 5 times this year, 2 of which were races. The rest had been hour long hard sessions.

No holiday Steady - though will aim to combine the champs with some work travel. Mrs will be at home with the kids again. Chili hits it on the head once more!

Enjoy the parkrun DB. I'll try to get a pink chit for next weekend.

08/03/2013 at 20:48

Where are the Euros this year Cat?

And you're quite right of course that it's all about balancing everything and keeping everyone happy - although I have to say I'm very happy not to have to include kids in the equation for my part as I have enough problems balancing everything else!!

IronCat5    pirate
08/03/2013 at 21:08

Horst, in the Netherlands.

Dustboy    pirate
09/03/2013 at 14:39

Pitifully slow Parkrun, knew I was out of condition when I eventually caught the 30 minute pacer at just under half way. LOL

09/03/2013 at 15:09

At least you did catch him!!

IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Hmmm - and when would that be my feline friend?

09/03/2013 at 16:43

Well done DB!

My Big Girl decided she was going for a PB this morning. Told me I was too slow and zoomed ahead to find a faster partner and finished in an amazing 26:59. That is officially faster than my parkrun PB!

09/03/2013 at 17:20

wow, chilli well done to your girl!

I have done spinning, swimming and a 2 hour fast walk. Going to sleep well tonight I think

IronCat5    pirate
09/03/2013 at 19:41

Well done Team CHili! Good day for you too MC.

Dustboy wrote (see)

Pitifully slow Parkrun, knew I was out of condition when I eventually caught the 30 minute pacer at just under half way. LOL

You got out there, and it'll come back quickly.

PO.dds: feel the fear, do it anyway wrote (see)
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Hmmm - and when would that be my feline friend?

21st April. I'm sure it was 7 weeks, but is probably 6 now

45km out on the bike today. 6th outdoor bike ride this year, and second longest.

11/03/2013 at 18:55

Hello? Has anyone been snowed in? We just had a few flurries here but soooooo cold with a terribly bitter wind. Couldn't cope with cycling in it. So just did a 5 mile run instead.

IronCat5    pirate
11/03/2013 at 19:03

Saw some snow today go past the window. A lot of snow infact. Didn't settle though.

12 km last night in the cold Brr!

11/03/2013 at 19:35

Indeed, snow flurries all day and bitterly cold. Made very sure hair was dry after swimming today. Respect to those braving the cold. Will be me tomorrow on the bike.

11/03/2013 at 19:49

Just flurries here as well. Was worried about wind forecast so decided to bike/train it to work. One bit was uphill to headwind, didn't like that at all!! Ankle still not quite right but might have to play this Sunday. Thankfully, that'll be the end of season. BF will kill me though if I injure it further and am bit worried about that. Fingers crossed. Probably bike to work tomorrow as well.

11/03/2013 at 21:10

It was -10degC this morning when I got up.  I think it got above freezing for my lunch time cycle which seemed to be constantly in to a icy head wind so I can't be sure. We did have an inch of snow on Sunday, but it wasn't anything to worry about.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.