Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,121 to 8,140 of 15,336 messages
14/03/2013 at 21:04

Well done MC. And welldone Mikasa for the long walks.

I miss ST too.

Well, I have some disappointing news. Have been to hospital for a gynea appointment. I will not go into details but treatment + emotionaly and mentally getting my head round it means I've decided not to do the Outlaw Half triathlon I can still train but not able to push the mileage up as I need to. August marathon is temporary on hold too.

14/03/2013 at 21:25

Oh Chili - sorry to hear that, you've been training so hard..But health is definitely more important and there will be other half IMs. Keep at it though. (((hugs)))

IronCat5    pirate
14/03/2013 at 21:42

(((Chili)))

Puts the whinge I was going to have about calf cramp in to perspective. Heal well, heal strong.

Mrd D and MC, which Sufferfests did you do? Tonight I did There Is No Try and it was the last interval that caused my LH calf to lock solid. But in deference to Chili I'm manning up now.

Keep the swimming/cycling up Mikasa. Can you tape your ankle up?

Haven't seen ST round these parts for ages.

15/03/2013 at 07:30

Hey Chili,

I too will stop complaining about how my knee hurts...hope everything goes well...at least now with no pressure to up the milage you can enjoy your training

15/03/2013 at 11:32

Lol! Thanks for the hugs but calf cramp hurts too! Ouch. Hope all the pains goes away.

Yes, Pete I do enjoy my training and with the pressure off I will be able to enjoy the cycling more along the canal. Am hoping I might be able to find a standard tri for our holiday so that the training I have done doesn't go to waste. We'll see. Yesterday was a difficult day but I quickly get bored of feeling miz so will be bouncing around again soon

15/03/2013 at 18:12

(Chili), at least you can carry on training.

I have survived a whole week of commuting into London Bridge and learning masses of new stuff for new system at work. Brain is frazzled, I have been getting home feeling so tired and not done much at all, just one pilates session.

Aiming for swim in the morning, a shortish turbo then I have a sports massage booked.

15/03/2013 at 18:30

(((chili)))

cat - i have all of the sufferfests yesterday I did A very Dark PLace, this morning I did downward spiral, which I think is my favourite, really enjoy doing them. I have got the newst too (mother's day present) blender - which is 100 minutes long, did it on Sunday and very doable.

Not sure I push quite hard enough on the hard bits, but I have noticed my legs are definitely getting more toned and you can almost see a quad muscle beneath the flab

have also been to the gym for an hour's walk/run on the treadmill. The running bits are going too well, but if I can at least keep doing a few minutes of running every now and again it won't be too much of a shock to my body when I can start again properly

15/03/2013 at 20:43

Those sufferfests sound awful! I'm sure you work much harder than I do when cycling around Lee Valley Park.

LSR of 10 miles in rain and wind with my gorgeous No 2 daughter on her bike. Am race director at parkrun tomorrow so won't be running.

IronCat5    pirate
15/03/2013 at 22:04
mathschick wrote (see)

(((chili)))

cat - i have all of the sufferfests yesterday I did A very Dark PLace, this morning I did downward spiral, which I think is my favourite, really enjoy doing them. I have got the newst too (mother's day present) blender - which is 100 minutes long, did it on Sunday and very doable.

Not sure I push quite hard enough on the hard bits, but I have noticed my legs are definitely getting more toned and you can almost see a quad muscle beneath the flab

have also been to the gym for an hour's walk/run on the treadmill. The running bits are going too well, but if I can at least keep doing a few minutes of running every now and again it won't be too much of a shock to my body when I can start again properly

Well done! Once you have TrainerRoad you'll realise how hard they can be. I also have all 13 now though have only ridden Angels, Hell Hath No Fury, Hunted, Local Hero, There Is No Try & The Long Scream.  Sufferfest and TrainerRoad are kindly supporting me in my endeavours.

Good for you for getting to the gym too. Any feedback from the MRI?

Chilibean wrote (see)

Those sufferfests sound awful! I'm sure you work much harder than I do when cycling around Lee Valley Park.

LSR of 10 miles in rain and wind with my gorgeous No 2 daughter on her bike. Am race director at parkrun tomorrow so won't be running.

Sounds like a nice day Chili! You get to watch other get cold and wet tomorrow

After yesterday's efforts I did an easy 11km to try to run the cramp off. Did a 1 minute pickup then felt I should rest it until Sunday's Marlow Duathlon. For the past two years I have really looked forward to this, but this year it doesn't fit in to my calendar and I'd rather just concentrate on the Euros. Still, race your races and train your training. I'll give it my best.

The ride is quite lumpy so I'm wondering whether to use somelighter wheels for the bike.

Dustboy    pirate
15/03/2013 at 23:55

Er, that means I have missed the Marlow Du then. Anyway, be a bit before I can get back up to that. If you can get to them and promise to look after them Cat, I could lend you my race wheels? C24 Dura Ace on ceramic bearings and Schwalbe Ultremo HD ZX. 1300g or summat. 11-28 Ultegra cassette.

16/03/2013 at 08:11

chili - the sufferfests are hard work, well, to be honest you can make them as hard as the effort you want to put in, but I do find I work much harder with them than just watching some random dvd, and I don't think I would want to do intervals etc out on the roads. But you are cycling outside - something I haven't dome since the autumn!

Not sure how trainerroad works or what you do with it. But think I better wait before I start paying for something else! The masters swimming sessions aren't cheap, but are worth it I think

well done on your run chili

good luck tomorrow cat

16/03/2013 at 08:14

oh, and I am just waiting to hear about the mri, hopefully I'll get a letter soon with an appointment to go back to the clinic

IronCat5    pirate
16/03/2013 at 09:46
Dustboy wrote (see)

Er, that means I have missed the Marlow Du then. Anyway, be a bit before I can get back up to that. If you can get to them and promise to look after them Cat, I could lend you my race wheels? C24 Dura Ace on ceramic bearings and Schwalbe Ultremo HD ZX. 1300g or summat. 11-28 Ultegra cassette. 

Cheers DB. I worry I'd damage the wheels DB and I couldn't afford to replace them, I'm sure you remember how nice the course surface is?

My bling wheels are 1800g vs my not-so bling wheels at 1600 so only 200g, plus the bling wheels have lighter tyres so it is parity-ish. May slap the 27T on the bling wheels just in case.

16/03/2013 at 10:37

I have swum and turboed. Small amounts of both and now feel shattered.

Looking forward to my massage and hope that next week the weather is a bit better so its not such a nasty shock having to ride outside at the Duathlon.

16/03/2013 at 16:00

OMG. Sports massage was good and not so good when she found a pulled hamstring from the turbo session, reckons I was not evenly pushing with both legs. Had a quick bite to eat and then went off to sleep for 1.5 hours.

Now tackling housework and an item of real work, got homework from the training we did, taking it in turns to do a bit of each.

IronCat5    pirate
16/03/2013 at 21:23

The weather is shocking outside. I'd hoped the dryness would extend to the weekend, but no

The phys spend an hour shaking his head at me last week during a massage

16/03/2013 at 22:15

IronCat I know what you mean, we also had a discussion on her upcoming tri debut and how the training was going.

Run in the morning, not too keen in this rotten weather but suppose I had better get used to it, in case its the same next weekend.

Dustboy    pirate
17/03/2013 at 15:12

Waits on Cat5's Marlow Du report.......or should that be swim?

IronCat5    pirate
17/03/2013 at 15:31
Marlow aquathlon! Once I've warmed up and handed back the foil blanket I'll cobble something together. I also need to drain the bike...
Dustboy    pirate
17/03/2013 at 15:57

I seem to have noticed that every race that Cat5 does involved something inclement about the weather.

Having trailed him miserably on a few as well, cold and/or wet seem to tbe the de rigeur conditions. On the flip side, the training rides are usually quite nice! LOL

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.