Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,181 to 8,200 of 15,118 messages
23/03/2013 at 14:50

steady - your call really on tomorrow - will your pulled hamstring be ok? Is the travelling there and back going to be dangerous? Are the conditions for the duathlon going to be dangerous? A duathlon here was cancelled here today, and rightly so I think, travelling to and from the site would be dangerous and the conditions for racing also dangerous

23/03/2013 at 15:18

travelling should not be too bad and Mr Steady will be driving not me. The event is on a proper motor race circuit so surface is good.

The wimp is defintely winning still.

23/03/2013 at 16:22

ooh, this weather up here in Aberdeenshire is awful and I've only done one short session in the pool all week.  The snow of tuesday was bad.  But then the winds picked up on thursday which drifted tuesdays snow over the roads.  Thank goodness I bought a big 4x4 in the autumn.  It's the only reason we got out today.  Unfortunately, the weather reports suggests snow and gales all next week as well.  I guess I'll get a two weeks training in April before the tri on the 21st.  I figure I'm fit enough to get round, but I'd like to do a good time...oddly, I think the cycling will be the worst bit.  Perhaps I should spend next practising the transitions...

23/03/2013 at 20:47

Oh Pete, I can just imagine how bad it must be. My parents live in the North Peninnes and had planned to travel down this weekend but snow changed play.

I ran an extremely slow parkrun in the sleet today. Then went swimming with family but managed to do 40 lengths.

Steady - whatever your decision I hope you feel satisfied by the end of the day.

IronCat5    pirate
23/03/2013 at 20:52

Hi All!

MC -  hope you managed to get to the gym.

{{{Chili}}} glad to hear you had a good time in the end.

Tricky one Steady - If you wrap up warm you will be OK. Take it very easy and use it as a long training day then take a few days off. If you decide to do it then take some balnkets and dry clothes and hot drinks. Get sorted immediately after crossing the finish line - don't hang around.

And worst case, you can DNF. I'm sure it's a lapped course so you have that option for each lap on the run, bike or run. But you won't need it, and tomorrow night you'll have a huge confidence boost and a massive glass of red wine

Forecast was Sufferfest's Blender, but instead I went out on the MTB in the local forest. They're developing the hidden trails into a trail centre and some of the trails are fantastic now. All linked together and great fun. Possible pirate meetup there in the summer. Take note DB!

23/03/2013 at 21:04

Decision is DNS. I will turbo instead. I was always going to struugle with the 2nd run, so will concentrate on good form on bike with even power through legs.

2 friends were going to do it as well but after their experience at Reading HM last week they are also DNS.

IronCat5    pirate
24/03/2013 at 19:47

Hi all,

How was the turbo Steady?

Ran with 2 of my running club today. I did 15km XC; they were planning on doing 21k-ish so I left them too it. I'd take a little longer to recover from that kind of distance at the moment, and cannot spare the recovery time.

This coming week is run focused, so need to get the pencil out and schedule the week.

Hope you've all had a great weekend.

24/03/2013 at 21:58

evening all

it was sufferfest's Blender for me this morning, hard but enjoyable! And I got over to the club swim this evening. Strange, we went 13 miles west to Mansfield to see the in-laws, and the snow and roads was terrible, then a few miles in the other direction for tonight's swim, and hardly any snow there!

wind chill is seriously nasty today though

waiting for a heatwave now to really mess us all up!

25/03/2013 at 15:24

Cat, the turbo was OK, was listening to mp3 player with the intention of doing Ride Harder for the last hour, but the battery went flat, so hopped off the bike and turned the radio on, listened to a local radio station and made myself only change gear at the end of a tune. Concentrated on turning circles and did some one leg drills. Speed was down to 10mph and kept cadence around the 80 mark.

I felt tired in the afternoon, but the legs seem to be OK, so hoping that all this work will pay off. I don't know how I will manage over 2 hours though.

No snow but the wind is so cold, came home from work early as no heating(it broke 3 weeks ago) the office had been using a plug in electric thing, but today not only was it freezing, but the electric went off, I had been typing with gloves on and 2 scarves round my neck/head. We got sent home. Can do a bit of work at home but not much.

My bet is that London marathon day will be scorching hot, I know when I did it, it had snowed the Sunday before then was really warm.

25/03/2013 at 16:44

steady well done on the turbo. I turboed today too

25/03/2013 at 16:50

*pops in*

So its been a while, hope everyone is well and you all have some races planned, tri or otherwise.

I've been lurking about but not posting, really busy with work and life in general  

Last October I took up orienteering which has been fantastic and, although on the newbie/intermediate courses I've managed to finish 3rd overall in a local league.  Also finally got round to doing some adventure races, spent 5 hours trail running/MTBiking in the New Forest on Saturday, all good fun.  I'm focusing on sprint distance tri's and getting faster/stronger this year and getting my endurance fix from adventure races.

Anyway keep up the good work everyone!

WhizKid    pirate
25/03/2013 at 16:52
Seems too be turbos all round, must admit I'm getting a bit fed up of being cold outside now ... However I did find an entire collection of IM race videos + others too watch while sweating away in the turbo dungeon...
25/03/2013 at 17:22

Hello EcoSeal, glad to hear all is well. I have only tried orienteering once, good laugh but I am so slow.

25/03/2013 at 18:32

Anyone else sick of the snow? The bike to work was a bit slow today, hideous headwind coming home - off to the gym tomorrow need to go for a long run - was meant to go outside for a run but I don't think that's too wise at the mo'.

25/03/2013 at 21:31

Well done to all making it out in the dodgy weather, and to those keeping themselves safe. (((MC))) sorry to hears your news. Sending positive vibes! 
I'm really struggling at the moment with work and training. Skipping from nights to days and back to nights killing me. Finding the energy to train tough at times. Managing the basics at the moment. Week off after these nights - can't wait. Ran 30mins Sat and 400m swim done today. Sounds so little really. Oo, plus point... Wetsuit delivered at the weekend!

25/03/2013 at 21:32

Yes, fed up with the cold, no snow here, but the wind is so bitter.

Hope that when I go to work tomorrow that at least the office will have electric even if the main heating is still not working. I will wear my Outlaw hoodie, as its the thickest and warmest top I own, I have no intention of getting cold again.

IronCat5    pirate
25/03/2013 at 23:02

Keep warm folks!

Welcome back Eco, and welcome SuckitUp.

club swim tonight, and then an hour and a bit building a dressing table for little Cat5 #1, who will be 7 tomorrow!

Razor51    pirate
26/03/2013 at 10:47
Ran with Horse last night 5.6 miles in the freezing cold wind but really enjoyed it and felt good until I hit the long hill 1.5 miles from home, still managed 9.32 m/m avg with couple of sub 9s in there so a decent run overall .
26/03/2013 at 19:48

Hi Eco *waves* Good to see you again.

Happy Birthday to your little one Cat.

Well done to all those managing to train in this miserable weather. I did 5 mile run yesterday although had to walk the icey-snow patches. Chickened out on my swim today just because I was so cold that the thought of getting changed was unbearable. I am planning on doing a longish bike ride tomorrow though. Will probably join the group cos then at least I can talk to folk instead of suffering the cold alone!

IronCat5    pirate
26/03/2013 at 21:15

Ran with my running club - first time for a while. 11.5km including a 7km tempo section.

Just had jacket potatoes and beef chili

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.