Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,221 to 8,240 of 15,303 messages
29/03/2013 at 21:21

I took an extra rest day yesterday, headache all day and when I got home from work felt so cold I ended up wearing 2 sweatshirts to keep warm and  fell asleep before 10pm.

Today I did a short sharp Ride Harder session for 40 mins. Tomorrow the plan is swim first thing, haircut, shopping and a 2.5 hour turbo or may go outdoors to ride subject to the weather and how I feel.

Razor its good to see you like my type of swimming, steady.

IronCat5    pirate
29/03/2013 at 21:34

Geocaching this afternoon with the kids. Shattered!

29/03/2013 at 21:38

Went for 4.3 mile run this morning in the lovely sunshine and then went and collected my new bike from the lbs and road it home before the weather packed it in.  

30/03/2013 at 10:38

three weeks tomorrow I do my first triathlon.  To say that I'm getting a bit nervous is an understatement.  It would be closer to say I'm getting a bit ..."aarrgghhh oh no oh no, what if I can't find my bike, what if I get lost on the cycling, what if my noseclips falls off on the first length, what if I get disqualified for something stupid..arrgghhh...."

I'm definitely getting the jitters.  Do I get changed at the event or drive over in my tri-shorts (which haven't come yet-stupid internet), what do I do after racking my bike? do I get my race number thing on the day? what if it doesn't fit on my race belt (which hasn't come yet-stupid internet). Do I register first and then rack up or what?  The organisers haven't responded to any emails...

OK OK, deep breaths, I'm calm.....NOT!

30/03/2013 at 11:54

Pete in the hills - deep breath, repeat deep breath.

You will get an email a week or two before the event. It should tell you what to do.

Normally first thing is to register, ask there if still unsure of anything. Then rack the bike, you will probalby also get your number marked on arm and leg at the time. Remember only race entrants are allowed in transition area.

You can arrive in dressed ready to go or change once there.

If your noseclip falls off on the first length ( mine broke just before I got in the water) all you can do is swim concentrating hard on blowing air out of your nose rather than mouth and nowing that the swim will be a tiny bit slower than hoped for.

30/03/2013 at 13:14

pete - which one are you doing? All the ones I have done have plenty of people around in the transition area to help you figure out where and how to rack your bike. It will all be fine.

Razor51    pirate
30/03/2013 at 16:44
Pete, read my race report of my first triathlon on page 55 on this thread if you want a laugh
30/03/2013 at 17:56

I have turboed but not for as long as I should have. Did one hour and 5 minutes, could not get in the mood, but some is better than none.

today I discovered I have 2 speeds of swimmining, steady and faster but can only manage 25m.

30/03/2013 at 21:06

Hurrah, nasty nights done. Did not train once due to them being horrendous and already over tired. So, this week gotta get on track. Started with 40min run tonight. 

Calm Pete, there will be loads of people in the same boat. You'll find many people asking each other the same questions. Just try to enjoy it! 
Nice one Cat and Razor! 
Woop Woop Suckit on the new bike. Love getting new shiny things.
How are the injuries our Maths? You seriously cannot catch a break. 
Steady, at least you have 2 speeds! 

Excited now, no more night shifts until after May. Have a week off to recoup. Bring it on! 

IronCat5    pirate
30/03/2013 at 21:40

Don't worry Pete. You'll be fine. Chillax.

A good dau of training everyone. Last club winter ride included a cake stop. A tad under 100km in the bag.

Razor51    pirate
30/03/2013 at 22:26
Carr Hill sprint tri in the morning looking forward to it, off to bed now got to pick Horse up at 6.45. Will do a race report as soon as I can.
IronCat5    pirate
30/03/2013 at 22:29

Good luck Razor and Horse. SMASH IT!

Razor51    pirate
30/03/2013 at 22:31
Cheers Cat, we will do our best
31/03/2013 at 10:40

Good luck Razor and Horse. Hope you remembered to pop your clocks forward! 

31/03/2013 at 12:23

razor and horse, hope the tri went well - bit cold for getting out of water and onto a bike so hope you have kept warm

MrsD - as it is the same leg I am sure it is all related, and to be honest isn't the first time I have had this kind of soreness in the anterior tibialis and ankle, even well before the knee problem. Funny thing is the ankle only hurts when I walk, not when I run - but then maybe that is my new style of running doesn't put the same stresses on my legs as the old style

going to have a trip to sweatshop tomorrow to look at shoes

Razor51    pirate
31/03/2013 at 13:18
-4c when I got up . -2c when I came out of the pool, couldn't feel my feet when I got off the bike but the run went well unofficial time , 400mt swim. 10.09, T1 8.05 ( will explain in race report) 26k bike 57.52, 6.4k run (+t2) 37.38. Total unofficial time 1.47.44, pleased with the time for first one of the season.
31/03/2013 at 13:25

Hey, thanks for all the comments.  I did like the description of your first triathlon, no doubt I'll do something silly, probably leave my glasses at the side of the pool and have to go back for them...I've been watching youtube videos on how to do fast mount and dismount of your bike at the line, but I'm just going to get on/off normally, I don't think my times will be such that a couple of seconds here and there will make any difference.  I'm going to print out a list of instructions to leave with my bike so that I remember to put my helmet on before touching my bike and remembering to take it off again before the run.  Oddly, I'm not worried about the fitness levels, I know I can get round, I just worry about doing something stupid.

If I haven't heard anything by one week before the race, I'll give them a call.  I'm sure it'll be fine.  I hope to go see the course next weekend just so that I know where to go, where to cycle and where to run...that should put me at ease.

Dustboy    pirate
31/03/2013 at 14:34

PITH, worry about the helmet, nothing else. And if you do happen to wear your swim goggles for the whole race, laugh about it. If you do the run sockless, suggest a smidgeon of Vaseline on the heels of your running shoes. 

I've been trying to get my running up to the mark again. Done 3 10Ks this week, this mornings was the club 10K handicap. Sub 55 minutes by a few seconds, which I am really pleased about.  So far, everything else seems to be holding out but scraping 200 on the HRM in the last 50 yards is probably not the way I should be doing things.

Good work Razor, look forward to explanation of record T1 a bit later!

31/03/2013 at 15:47

Maths - always a good excuse for new stuff! Hope it all settles down, how's the running going?
DB is right Pete, just get your helmet sorted! Fnar Fnar! DB continues onwards and upwards. Good running, look after that ticker though!

Good work Razor, look forward to the report!

Well, first time out on the bike today. Was lovely out. Managed 10miles in 45mins. Hoping the weather holds to get out some more. Good weekend all round. 
Happy Easter everyone!!!!!

31/03/2013 at 19:09

razor - well done, looking forward to the report

well, been out for a 10 mile fast walk/mince, just got back and my fingers are so cold I am having trouble typing. However, I did go up and down a half mile hill 6 times, so I am pretty sure I will be able to walk the half marathon next week, I did the same one last year, it will be interesting to see whether my walking is faster than my running spped last year - don't think there will be much in it, which says a lot for my fitness levels I think

MrsD - just doing short run/walks on the treadmill at the moment a couple of times a week - reckon it is best to keep it at that, and on the treadmill as there is less impact than outside on the roads. paths and fields here just too muddy to run through at the moment

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.