Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,241 to 8,260 of 15,833 messages
IronCat5    pirate
31/03/2013 at 22:32

Pete - DB speaks sense as usual. Years of experience see?

Great news on the running DB.

Too much rich food today - roast dinner, hot cross bun bread & butter pudding then some chocolate. Also lemon merangue pie.

Taps feet impatiently for Razor

Razor51    pirate
01/04/2013 at 13:43
Right here we go, Carr Hill sprint tri, this was a low key fund raiser for the school so only a small field of 45 entrants.
As I said earlier -4c when we left home and hadn't warmed up much when we started -3c so we made the decision to completly change after the swim than risk catching a cold and suffering for weeks and buggering up the training program hence the lengthy T1
Swim,
Just me and Horse in our lane so off we went me first H 10 secs later 18 lengths as the pool wasn't 25 mts, stated off steady and got into a nce rythm and the lengths soon passed out of the swim in 10.09 , H, in 10.12 and into the changing rooms ( decided to stay warm whilst we changed into all dry clothes ) out of the pool and onto the bike.
Bike
H, 1 1/2 minutes in front of me, out of the car park and onto the road to meet the first obstacle, temp road works had to ride down the pedestrian way and off again . The roads were very quiet and well marshalled at the major junctions and turns.after the first mile there is a u turn around the roundabout where I saw H coming towards me and looking strong, the wind started to pick up a bit on the open stretches or road and the sun was very low in the sky making it hard to see where I was going, started to settle down on the big ring and down on the earo bars snd moving along at 18- 20 mph then whoosh a guy on a TT bike complete with twat hat flew past me as if I was stopped, hey ho just carry on and grit my teeth, into the last third now and met the first decent sized hill, got out of the saddle for the climb but found it difficult due to the really bad road surface, pot holes and patchwork tarmac, managed to get up it ok in the end and back down on the bars for the nice downhill .Nice easy section back to T2, shoesand helmet off and trainers on and off I go. Bike51.04
Run
Set off and immiedatly and thought I'd left my legs behind ( this was my first brick since November) and I couldnt feel my feet , they were like blocks of ice, and then realised I hadn't put my gloves on so hands were freezing as well anyway got myself going with a short stride till my legs came back, after about 1k I felt ok so upped the pace a bit and was feeling good, said thanks to the freezing marshall on the corner turned left and downthe hill for about 300 ts along the flat then was confronted by a hill about 1k long so gritted my teeth and pushed on up it passing 2 people on the way and back fown the other side round the corner and lap 1 done, lap 2 felt a lot better , legs were ok and managed to pass 3 more, but was passed by at least 8people myself, kept it going to the last turn and even managed a decent sprint to the line where H was cheering me in. Run 37.38 inc T2
Total time 1.48.04
Pleased with the time overall there is a good 8 minutes there in T2 which I could have got rid of but we made the decision to keep warm so we could enjoy it on the day which turned out to be the best thing as others who ran in wet trisuits were blue with cold at the finish.
Horse finished in 1.38.01, he was 7 mins faster on the bike but only 1 1/2 mins faster on the run so happy with that.
We had a good day and for the first of the season I thought we did ok Horse finished 30, me 35 out of 45 .The only downside was the split transition a s the pool was 1/2 mile away but for the organiser it was the first tri he had put on so hats off to him for great effort on his part for putting it together and well done to the marshalls.
Edited: 01/04/2013 at 13:45
Dustboy    pirate
01/04/2013 at 13:56

"Down on the earo bars". Bloody hell, that's an aggressive riding position. Do they like, hook round your ears like glasses then?

Good effort dude.

Razor51    pirate
01/04/2013 at 14:23
01/04/2013 at 14:25

-3C? I think they grow them hard where you come from Razor!! 

Razor51    pirate
01/04/2013 at 15:27
Aye, we're tough up norf
01/04/2013 at 16:11

well done razor - good call on using the changing rooms, better to have a long transition than suffer with hypothermia which I am guessing would have been a real risk in those temperatures

Razor51    pirate
01/04/2013 at 16:41
Maths , thats what we thought, better to enjoy it than suffer it, had great day as times were'nt that important as this was more of a training day and to get back into tri mode.
01/04/2013 at 16:44

Great report Razor! I agree with the complete change - given the weather conditions I would have made the same call. Well done to you both.

Sounds like some good training has been taking place.

I've just come back from a 15ish mile run/walk along the Ridgeway (national trail). Was bitterly cold although we warmed up after a while. Now we are home the sun has come out!

01/04/2013 at 16:46

razor - think I might be doing the same on my first tri in a few weeks - just driven round the bike route and there is still snow on the roads

IronCat5    pirate
01/04/2013 at 21:02

Good race Razor, and good report.

Thames Turbo did a tri today, and had a 'free' transition - 5 min in T1 and 7 min in T2 that wasn't counted. Better to keep warm than needlessly need medical attention.

Hope you all had a great easter.

02/04/2013 at 19:17

Great race report Razor! And well done on the race itself.

Sun is motivating to me get outside. 10.5mile bike ride after work. 

02/04/2013 at 21:09

Great report Razor well done.

5 mile trail run and 2 laps of Chew Valley lake (8.5 mile each) on the bike over the easter weekend, plus decorating, I now have roller induced claw hand.

Gym strength session tomorrow and a swim.

Thinking my first tri of the season will be Tri Team Glos sprint in May.

02/04/2013 at 21:44

Top report Razor, can't blame you keeping warm. Maths - I'm sure it will have warmed up in a few weeks (fingers crossed). 
Ecoseal, let me know if u do the Glos.. Will come and give u a heckle! 
I had a rest day yesterday and popped out for a 30min run tonight. Really enjoying my week off. Wetsuit turned up, think maybe too big... Not sure though. Soon find out I suppose. 

02/04/2013 at 21:59

Well done Razor and Horse.

No Pilates class due to school holidays, so had no excuses, did 1.5 hours on the turbo to work off some of the excess calories I consumed over the weekend.

03/04/2013 at 09:08

went for an early morning long swim, with the intention of doing 4k - did 3k, felt sick and threw up in the loo. Not sure if I swallowed too much pool water or whether I shouldn't have had the smalll bowl of cornflakes and coffee before the swim. 

came home to sulk and hope it isn't a bug

03/04/2013 at 13:02

ooh...my first brick training...cycling to running....hmmm.  So let me start by saying that I've been concentrating on my cycling and swimming for the last couple of weeks because my running was ok...was....I didn't get the jelly legs thing once I got off my bike, but what I get was a really sick feeling in my belly.  For the first km, I was wondering if I should just throw up and get it over with...but it went away and I was ok.  Red faced, out of breath, but not feeling sick.  I'm back in the office and it feels like I've bruised my foot!  arrgghhh  I'm going to try and get in the pool tomorrow or friday.  19 days to my first Tri!  

Do you folks taper in the week before a race...

Sympathies Mathschick...it's probably something you ate!

03/04/2013 at 13:35

Oh dear. Probably something you ate/drank Maths. Fingers crossed it's not a bug.

Pete - well done on your first brick. Thankfully I've never felt sick whilst exersicing. Maybe I just haven't tried hard enough.

First run for over a month. Went out at lunch time with a workmate, thankfully as otherwise it would've been a lot shorter than the about 2 miles that we did. It was terrible!! Need to take it easy but keep it consistent to get back into it.

03/04/2013 at 14:33

Hope you're feeling better Maths.

Gym done, managed to up the weight on nearly all my exercises so pretty pleased.

Tennis later.

Take it easy Mikasa you'll soon get back into the running, I find it takes me 10 mins or so just to warm up and get over the mental devil saying "STOP".

03/04/2013 at 15:05

Maths, what a horrible way to finish a swim, probably too much pool water drunk mixing with the breakfast. I have felt sick after a long pool swim and put it down to drinking too much of the pool.

I went for a run, aiming to only walk a little bit, but ended up with loads of walks, HR kept going high, so decided to just keep it at top of Zone 2 and concentrate on form. Shins feel a bit sore even though I wore my calf guards, so may have been going too fast without realising.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.