Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,261 to 8,280 of 15,891 messages
03/04/2013 at 15:55

still feeling a bit dodgy, so not going to do any more training today. Been busy doing stuff, but now just taking it easy, I have eaten and not thrown up though so that is good. Hopefully I'll be fine tomorrow

mikasa - well done on the run, always feels tough when you haven't run for a while

steady - well done on your run/walk, it is easy to go faster than you realise

Razor51    pirate
03/04/2013 at 20:24
4.5 mile run tonight, no HR monitor just ran on feel with my music and managed 9.20 min/m, took 42 mins and felt good.
Dustboy    pirate
03/04/2013 at 20:29

That's a nice speed per mile, not a killer but made you feel you worked for it?

03/04/2013 at 21:00

Well I spent most of the long weekend on the couch courtesy of husband sharing whatever bug he had on friday   I felt better yesterday biked to work and home, then went for a run, which turned into a run/walk - just had no juice in the tank - took me twice as long it usually does and felt like crap when I got home.  Thought about it and realised I hadn't eaten much the previous two days and got some quality fuel onboard - nommy as quorn fajitas.  Felt much better today -normal infact I did 1.45k in the pool nice and steady.

03/04/2013 at 21:50

At least you realised what your problem was SuckitupButtercup, that makes putting it right so much easier.

Razor I am so jealous of your sub 10 minute miles, I just want to get back to running a entire mile without any walking. Although the garmin does say that when I am running its about 11.5 min/mile pace.

Just finished running club committee meeting, going to have a stretch and an early night.

IronCat5    pirate
03/04/2013 at 22:00

Hope you managed to keep breakfast inside today MC!

Hard turbo yesterday before work; my body doesn't like that first thing. Recovery turbo today. If the wind reduces tomorrow will be first TT of the season. W00p w00p!

Razor51    pirate
03/04/2013 at 22:28
Steady are you still doing the stretching exercises? are you having physio for your problems? Hope things come good for you soon.
In the last 16 weeks running in Z2 has improved my pace for the same amount of effort but I sometimes have to slow myself down or I end up in Z3, but it's good to run now and again with just music and not worry about pace then what will be will be and sometimes you can surprise yourself
04/04/2013 at 08:10

steady - I am the same, can't wait to be running normally again. Still waiting for a letter with an appointment to go back to the clinic...

04/04/2013 at 14:05

Maths- sorry to hear about your sickly swim, although 3k is not to be sniffed at. Glad ur feeling a bit better. Now you just need to sort the leg out. 
Hope ur feeling better too Buttercup. Well done on ur swim.
Mikasa - comes back quickly this running malarky, stick with it!
Pete - congrats on your brick!
Steady + Razor - does this Z2 running really work? Always felt soooo slow! 
Took Eco's lead and did early gym and 400m swim. My swimming is still shocking. 40min run later and I really don't want to go back to work!
Did you TT Mr Cat?

04/04/2013 at 14:56

My swimming sucks MrsD. practice makes perfect though, apparently.

Quads are wrecked today, who knew that 3x12 squats with 6kg dumbells in each hand could hurt so much.

Club run this evening, first session for a long time.

04/04/2013 at 18:32

Razor - yes I am still doing them, but probably not often enough. My team of physio and osteopath work together in the same practice, plus they are used to triathletes.

Pete - well done on the brick, I will admit to having not practised any bricks so far.

Mrs Digger - I think the Z2 stuff does work but you need to do it for a while before you notice the difference. I am fighting a sore throat and slight cough so that may be why my HR was high the other day. I am having a rest day today in the hope that it will go away. I reason that it stops you going just that little bit too hard on a steady session. My low end of Z2 when well, feels like an easy pace I could keep up for hours.

Ecoseal - ouch, 6kg dumbell in my hand would have been only 3x6.

Razor51    pirate
04/04/2013 at 19:18
Mrs D, persevere with the Z2 running it does work, have you got the Don Fink book " Be Iron Fit" it explanes the reasons behind it, When I first started running in Z2last year I too thought " how can running slower make you faster" well it does and it builds your endurance as well. My mile times were about 10.30min and now I average 9.15 to 9.45 and running up hills gets easier with less effort. Stick with it and it will come good.
04/04/2013 at 20:20

I checked out my brick lap speeds on my garmin connect...I was a good 40 seconds slower per km on the running, so I just did a run today and averaged at 5.19per km which is about right for me over 10K on my own.  I'm a  bit of a slacker and I run faster with a running buddy...is there something that explains about these zone thingys...that might help my times.

I have to get in the pool tomorrow, I haven't swum for a week!

04/04/2013 at 20:32

Razor, I do have the Fink bible. Think I just need to be more patient. Will give it a go. 
Pete - the book Razor mentioned gives all the explanation you need! 

IronCat5    pirate
04/04/2013 at 20:46

Razor - your running is definitely coming on, from what you've posted. Z2 really does work - Fink's training is like a year of base training.

Nice reps Eco!

I also have a sore throat Steady

I did TT MrsD - 10 mile course made of 2 5mi laps. Very windy and very cold. Well paced but the time was shocking, much slower than last year

Razor51    pirate
04/04/2013 at 22:21
Cat......thats a good way of putting it " like a year of base training"
05/04/2013 at 08:44

BRRRRRRRRR! If it could stop being so cold, or just stop being windy I'd really appreciate it.

Club run last night was Oregon Circuit training, I've never heard of it before but basically you sprint between stations so there really is no rest. In 2'C and a biting wind it was tough going.

Hope all the various illnesses are clearing and everyone gets to do some good training today, any exciting plans for the weekend?

05/04/2013 at 18:40

Aw Cat... You can only go onwards and upwards! Weather was I'm sure not ideal for pb's!!!!!
Well, cadence sensor attached and garmin set. Will head properly into Sufferlandria! Wish me luck! 

05/04/2013 at 20:04

good luck MrsD!! I have found having the cadence sensor has really made a difference

05/04/2013 at 20:28

Went for another lunch time run today. On my own this time as work mate is on hols. Had a lovely, very steady, very slow run but managed the whole 5k. In 35minutes...my pb is 26:22, boy am I long way off that!

Funnily though, isn't there some kind of general correlation between putting weight on and your mile times? Two years ago my easy/steady pace was 10m/m, now I was going more like 11:30m/m...

Planning a bike ride tomorrow. Have a nice weekend all!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.