Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,281 to 8,300 of 15,704 messages
05/04/2013 at 20:40

What a difference a good bike makes  felt like I was flying all week!  Except for the wind which was a bit gnarly.  Am going out tomorrow with my fingers crossed that the promised sunshine makes an appearance.  Running hasn't been flash this week but I just put my head down and kept on going - hoping I am cultivating at least a little bit of mental toughness here   Good luck MrsD!!

05/04/2013 at 20:56

What bike do you have ButterCup?

05/04/2013 at 21:17

You're right Maths, much better with the cadence sensor. Although took a while for me to sort it so it worked! Have also discovered the delights of Garmin Connect. Woop Woop.
Good running Mikasa, will soon be speeding around like a whippet again I'm sure.
Like Buttercup on her winged bike! Bring on that sunshine. 

05/04/2013 at 21:52

I had a little hiccup getting my cadence sensor to work but love it now and Garmin connect records all the info not just the bits I like.

If the wind dies down I may venture out on the bike on Sunday. Hoping the extra vitamin C is fighting the sore throat. Will have a hot lemon and honey drink before bedtime.

06/04/2013 at 15:54

Mikasa: Scott Speedster Contessa 35 - I wanted a 15 but just couldn't stretch to the extra money.  It just rides really smoothly   I went out this morning for 46 miles (I got a bit lost and found a really big hill  who knew Leicestershire had really big hills?).  I felt good when I got home - the sunshine was lovely but my feet were little blocks of ice!  I just have to get faster and I think that's just I need to get out there and ride more.  I have the Loughborough Sportive coming up in May so I need to up the time in the saddle.  

Edited: 06/04/2013 at 15:57
06/04/2013 at 16:15

Nice ride Buttercup. I was supposed to go for a 20miler but messed up my timing with getting up late, having a lunch time appointment and now watching Grand National. Plenty of time still after but not sure I have the motivation again. Really struggling with getting out there on my own.

06/04/2013 at 16:49

I was in the pool last night and instantly lost one of the rubbery bits from my nose clip! £4 that cost me!  I just swam with one rubbery bit and one hard plastic bit 'cos I dead hard, me!

I also went to see the course for my tri in two weeks tomorrow.  I don't understand how they managed to make the 20K cycle route all up hill.  How is that possible?    And the route still has snow drifts on the side of the road in places and some serious pot holes.  I'm glad I'm on a mountain bike.

So, what's the best strategy for long hilly sections?  Out of the saddle all the time?  Should I be using the few downhills to recover? or try to make up time?

Dustboy    pirate
06/04/2013 at 19:15

Hills, stay in the saddle, high cadence, low gear, try and maintain about 80 revs per minute that is realitively easy to do rather than trying to push a big gear.

All bike courses are uphill I think.

06/04/2013 at 22:04

Sounds like some excellent bike training going on

I did parkrun with my daughters this morning.

My hubby has said he really, really does want to do the bike ride to Cambridge on 25th April. So today he got his town (sit-up-and-beg) bike out the garage for the first time since October. He reckons he will be fit enough in 3 weeks for the 50 miles there, stay over night and 50 miles back. We have no time presure so I guess if it takes us all day it won't matter.

IronCat5    pirate
06/04/2013 at 22:12

I'm sure you'll have a great time doing that Chili, especially the eating at the end of day #1.

Managed an 8km run today. Local trails are gettng firmer, and the achilles not such an issue. Washed both cars upon my return. In shorts!

Pete - as DB says, all rides are uphill. Also it's a race, so there is no time for recovery on the downhills. Smash it all the way.

Did you get out Mikasa?

06/04/2013 at 22:34

Nope.... Went for a walk though. 

07/04/2013 at 07:39

morning all

chili - that bike ride sounds like fun, I'm sure your hubby will be ok, although he might complain of a sore bum!

walking the sussex half marathon today, so better walk very fast to make up for not being able to run it!

Britrisky    pirate
07/04/2013 at 07:52
Hope the weather in Sussex is as nice as in Brighton, MC - perfect conditions here for a marathon ...
07/04/2013 at 09:06

I woke to 2 inches of snow this morning. Good job this is a rest day! I'll see if I can upload a picture later.

http://flic.kr/p/e9nppf

does that work?

Edited: 07/04/2013 at 09:45
07/04/2013 at 10:36

Hope all goes ok Maths! Chilli that does sound like fun, sure hubby will be determined to be okay.
Gym and swim done yesterday - aching like mad. Had too much wine and a Chinese last night - not feeling my best. Need to do my brick today! Maybe later!

07/04/2013 at 11:46

Maths - good luck! Let's see how fast you can walk it. 

Pete - looks lovely but thankfully no snow here. Lovely sunny morning.

Managed to run 5k before breakfast. First mile is always pretty much downhill so first split was fastest. Last mile is more uphill and I wasn't sure if I could manage to run it all but I did. Very, very slow but I'll just have to be patient. 11:43,11:46,11:53.

07/04/2013 at 15:53

Beautiful day here, two laps of the local lake today first was a warm up second I tried to push hard and managed to knock two minutes off my pb 35 mins for 8.5 miles was hoping to be quicker but the headwind for 4 miles was tough.

6km trail run yesterday plus a lot of cross training gardening.

Good job I'm in the office tomorrow, need the break!

Great running Mikasa, keep at it and you'll soon be back into it.

07/04/2013 at 16:52

hi everyone

survived the half marathon, and only took 10 minutes longer than last year when I ran. Says something about my running I think. Beautiful day, lovely and warm but not too hot, OH and kids walked to the finish to meet me and we went for lunch then ice cream on the beach

07/04/2013 at 16:56

Eco - I first read your post as swimming two laps round the lake and I was amazed that although the sun is shining that you would consider it warm enough! But then I re-read it

Have just been out on my bike. Had planned a fairly speedy 15 miles including some hills, but my No.3 girl wanted to come with me. She's not as fit as the older two but get occasional bursts of enthusiam that I try to encourage. We did 10 flat miles but went via the Olympic White Water site and watched the canoeist and rafters.

07/04/2013 at 19:01

Am I allowed a day off due to feeling rubbish? 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.